“Very nicely appointed hotel, great staff good rooms”

Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Durham
London, United Kingdom
“Very nicely appointed hotel, great staff good rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Although a little pricey (at least at the rate I got) for what it is, the hotel is very nice the staff so nice, special thanks to Betty for being such a great help on the front desk, very reasonably priced buffet breakfast

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Pheephox:
Thank you for taking the time to share your on-line review. I will be sure to share your review with Betty and Team Sheraton. It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast buffet in Seasons Restaurant. The breakfast buffet is served every morning in Seasons Restaurant and complements every appetite. Thank you for your business and hope to see you real soon.
SHICC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Stayed here for 9 days while my husband attended a conference and the customer service was EXEMPLARY the entire time. Usually I like to commend particular individuals, but in this instance, everyone working in all facets of the hotel was so incredible that it is difficult to single out particular employees. They all greeted me with a smile and went out of their way to help me. The GM even introduced himself to us and personally drove my husband to the airport to make sure he would not miss his flight at the end of our stay!
During our stay, I worked in my room much of the time and found it to be comfortable, and the internet worked well. The front desk staff were extremely helpful in assisting me with anything I needed. The food in the restaurant was quite good, and the food provided to my husband as part of his conference was fantastic and went way beyond his expectations. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was renovated and very clean. The running trail around the hotel area was very nice. The hotel has a free shuttle to the airport and many local restaurants.
I stay in MANY hotels and this place provided the best service I have ever experienced.
I absolutely recommend this hotel if you are staying in Raleigh Durham.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Anonymous 187801:
We thank you for choosing the Sheraton Imperial for your stay and for your fantastic review. We're pleased to know that you had a wonderful experience with all of our team members. Again, thank you for your business and we hope to see you in the near future.
Newland, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

First off we did not have reservations. We had checked on some internet booking sites for a place to stay and this hotel came up with availability. Yet upon check-in the lady said they were fully booked and did not have any availability. We spent 10 mins telling the lady that she does have availability and she would never check. We finally got her to check and one room magically appeared to her. After we checked in past midnight we went to our room which the front desk lady said was on the Club floor and it was a premium room. While the room was average, it was not what I would consider premium by any means. It was clean and comfortable so that is what really matters to me. The bathroom was updated but the shower was from the 1980's? I don't understand why spend all that money to lay tile down and granite countertops with updated furniture in the bathroom but not update the shower? The internet connection in our room was very touchy, we would connect and stay connected for an hour or so and then it would drop us. Overall it was not a bad stay for the exception of being LIED to upon check-in. Room was clean and comfortable and stay was average.

Room Tip: If they offer club floor, ask to see the room first to see if it is what you are expecting. Club flo...
Green Features: Did not notice any "green" practices. I am not going to read about your green practices, I would rather see them if you are going to ask about them.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Justin R:
We are very sorry that your experience was not positive. I assure you that your comments are important to us, and we will use them for training purposes. We want all our guests to enjoy their stay while receiving stellar customer service. Thank you for taking the time to write, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to better meet your expectations.
Burnaby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Came on a business trip, checking in was fast and easy. Shuttle to and from the Airport could use an upgrade but it gets from A to B.

Enjoyed the snacks in the Club Lounge, the staff were very friendly and always said "hello" when walking past.

Was there for only a short period of time, but it was very enjoyable.

Not much for any shopping anywhere around the neighbourhood.

Room Tip: 9th or 10th floor has access to the club lounge.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Aaron Y:
First we would like to extend our appreciation to you for choosing the Sheraton Imperial Hotel for your stay during your business travel. We also wanted to thank you for taking the time out to write your comments regarding our hotel and some of the amenities we have to offer. Thank you again for your business and we hope to see you in the near future.
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

The hotel was chosen by NC Farm Bureau, but the experience was all mine and special again. Second convention at this location and very glad about the Sheraton. Room was clean and very quiet. The staff was friendly from the desk to the servers at our breakfast and luncheon. Food is buffet style and great quality. Had dinner at their $ seasons and ordered from the local food menu. The Seafood, collards and sweet potatoes were to die for. Well worth the visit. hope to see you here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear JJL:
Thank you for your great review. It was our pleasure to serve as host for the Farm Bureau 2014 Conference. I especially appreciate your comments regarding the friendliness of our staff. Remarks such as these are also used as a training tool for our staff to let them know they are doing a GREAT job and that our guest recognizes it. Wow! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Seasons Restaurant new menu items. Chef Tayouga and his team have combined their efforts, commitment and talents to develop and create a special and unique connection; between Seasons Restaurant, the local farmers/food artisans with a “Farm to Table” dinner menu. Again, we thank you for your business and hope to see you.
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here for a 2 day conference. The hotel hosted the conference and from that aspect it was nice. The catering was good. The room that I had was okay. I requested a quiet room and was assured it would be; however my room was on the highway side of the building so I could hear some traffic. The room was clearly old but the bed was comfortable. The restaurants is nothing fantastic and with the number of great restaurants in Durham, I would go elsewhere. We requested taxies a few times and the taxi service they use is what I would call "not legit" as they did not accept credit cards and charged us $25 for a 10 minute ride one night then the same service charged $15 for a 10 minute ride the next day. The front desk was great when I checked in, but the lady who checked me out was rude and seemed inconvenienced to hold my bags and call me taxi (that is her job right?). The hotel is next to a private gym and they will give you passes for the gym. This was definitely a perk!

Room Tip: request a room on the west side of the building so it is not facing the highway.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
SIHCC, Customer Service Manager at Sheraton Imperial Hotel and Convention Center, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Beachbreeze66:
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest’s comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.
SHICC
Austin, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

If you check in at the Sheraton Imperial, make sure you don't get into room 133 or 134, or others down at end of that hallway. I walked toward the back of the hotel thinking, "great, this should be nice and quiet" and it was anything but. It started with the AC. Moderate temps here in Durham and the AC kicked on only every 15 mins or so, but when it did, you had to adjust your volume on everything. If you're doing a conference call, forget it. Go on mute and don't plan on talking.

Bigger problem. The back door is right there. To a parking lot that gets a LOT of traffic. And it doesn't shut quietly. It slams and shakes the corridor and rattles your day and - worst of all -wakes you through the night.

They can replace the desk chair easily and if the folks read this, I hope they pay attention to it and do so. Unusable.

The internet service was spotty and kicked me off several times. Worst of all - I rarely watch TV when on the road, but got engaged in a movie and the hotel's cable or whatever service cut out just toward the end. All channels.

It wasn't all bad. Food at bar was good and they had some nice local brews to choose from.

Wait, breakfast was off. Ordered oatmeal. Menu said with raisins and pecans. Cool. Hidden in there were cranberries. Not pleasant, by my taste.

Will I stay here in the future? What do you think? Absolutely not. Did not live up to the reputation I'd expect from a Starwood property.

Room Tip: Stay away from entry doors, elevators and such. Should be obvious, I guess.
1 Thank Reginald H
Dear Reginald F:
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback regarding your recent stay at the Sheraton Imperial Hotel. I apologize for the delay in my response to your on-line review; however, I wanted to ensure that all of our Management Team was made aware of your feedback. Often times the feedback we receive from our guests will provide us a great insight into areas which demand our attention. We would like to apologize for the challenges with your room location, air unit and desk chair. The details you have provided have been shared with our Chief Engineer for review and to conduct preventative maintenance to insure all needed repairs are made on a timely basis. Unfortunately, during your stay Time Warner performed maintenance which caused interruption of service. Time Warner was contacted immediately and technicians were dispatched to the Hotel. Through each comment we receive, both positive and negative, we are able to seek knowledge and growth to better serve our guests. I am sorry again that your stay was not as enjoyable as anticipated and we eagerly await the next opportunity to meet all of your expectations.