“Not a great stay”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Research Triangle Pk
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Durham
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Showed up for my reserved room but it was not ready as the entire hotel was full. Luckily, they anticipated some guests leaving soon so they had me sit around in the lobby with all of my friends & I luggage while everyone milled about. We then had to wait additional minutes so the room could be cleaned for a total of 3 hours. Once we finally took possession of the room, there was still trash on the carpet & old dirty towels wadded up in the bathroom. After dealing with this, I proceeded to try to sleep only to have yapping, high pitched dogs stand out in the hall multiple times interrupting my slumber the entire sleep cycle. I went to take a shower so I could go to work but, when I woke up I discovered the entire hotel had no hot water & wouldn't have it for 24 hours. Also, the waffle maker burns your waffles if you cook them according to the timer. I usually stay there every weekend but, I believe this may soon come to an end as there are several other choices available within a block radius.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Research Triangle Pk

Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

This two-night stay started out well enough, even though the rate charged was a bit higher than posted just a day earlier. Then several small unpleasant experiences turned the stay somewhat sour. Just plain nasty tasting morning coffee, puke just outside the side entrance, my fingers sticking to the unidentified wet paint on the door, scummy places on the bathroom, defective toilet in the room, the sound of everyone else's toilets flushing, the party hardy girls waking me up at 10:30. Lots of little irritations added up to an overall unpleasant stay. Too bad.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Maggikate
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Great location, right off the interstate. Rooms are spacious and modern in the King sized room my wife and I had. Has the largest work table I've ever seen in a hotel that stretched across an entire wall. Unfortunately part of it was over the window air conditioner, so it that was running and you were on that side of the desk, you either froze to death or were hot depending on what was coming out of the unit. TV was HD and as usual for La Quinta, they actually had HD content, not fuzzy stretched out SD like most hotels. However there wasn't an HDMI plug on the TV which was odd, so I couldn't hook up my laptop and watch Netflix. Internet speed was above average for a hotel, but still slow. Could watch some things on my PC with Slingbox (Dishanywhere), but it dropped a lot. Stayed for 3 days and enjoyed the stay. Didn't use any of the amenities such as the pool and hot tub, so can't comment on them. As someone else mentioned, they have the typical free continental breakfast. Hard to complain much about that since it's included in your room price, but they only had one choice of cereal one morning and only two most days. And it seemed like a generic brand of Cheerios and Raisin Bran, not very good. Did notice a couple of harmless lady bugs in the window, but, hey, they're just lady bugs and what ever poison they put out, the residual killed them in a few hours.

Room Tip: It's located adjacent to the interstate, so if some road noise bothers you, ask for a room on th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Wolfpacker96
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We needed a last-minute, pet-friendly hotel and this one fit the bill. I had VERY low expectations for a La Quinta, especially with it being pet-friendly. I expected dirty floors and smelly rooms. I was wrong! Our ground floor room was spacious, smell-free, and clean (except for a dirty towel by the door--I'm guessing housekeeping dropped it on their way out.) There was a mini fridge/microwave, a flat screen TV, and a spacious bathroom. Also had plenty of room for our 50 pound dog and his crate. My only complaint about the room is that there I could hear everything that was being said in the adjoining room, through the adjoining door.

Breakfast was decent for this class of hotel: cereal, fruit, waffle maker, pastries, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea, etc. We chose this location because of the hot tub. However, the tub took over 10 minutes to heat up. Once it did, it was lovely. The front desk staff was very friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The Good:
The exterior was nice and the room looked exactly like the pictures.
Majority of the staff was great.

The Bad:
Bed: Decent but old, I was being bitten the whole night.

Which leads me to..
Bugs: As I was closing down the blinds, I saw a small spider. I shrugged it off since it was near the window and the area was wooded.
The next morning, there were ladybugs flying around. Not just one but several. I requested a new room, which they do give me but this room has the same situation.
At this point, I want to cancel my reservation. When I go back to the front desk, I was shocked by the attitude of the Morning Manager. When I tell her there were ladybugs flying around my room, she explains to me 'This is North Carolina.'
Being from the South I am used to seeing bugs but it was December and this is a hotel! I ordered this room through Priceline, luckily I was able to cancel.

Management: As I was checking out the manager tried to berate me, smirking and making me look as if I was the fool. The young adults at the front desk were better mannered/more mature than her.
The worst part about it was I didn't cause a scene, I just wanted my money back. The way this Manager reacted was very unnecessary and not what customer service is.

Recommendation: Restaffing and Pest Control..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ally J
LQGS, Guest Relations Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Durham Research Triangle Pk, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Hi Ally, We've read your review of our La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh Durham - Research Triangle Park. WOW - this is not the type of La Quinta experience we want our guests to have! We've concerned about the situation with pests you've mentioned. This issue is one that should've been resolved by our team while you were with us. We'll be sharing your feedback with our Maintenance team so we can tackle this problem. However, we'd like to chat with you further about your specific situation. Would you mind reaching out to us at tripadvisor@laquinta.com? Thanks again for all of your feedback, and we're hoping to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 15 January 2014

We wanted to be near Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill and this was a perfect location. It is a Great hotel- on a lovely property, the rooms are roomy, clean and well furnished. The hotel staff was pleasant and called our room within 15 mins of checking in to see if everything was satisfactory. The beds are incredibly comfortable. Free WIFI without a log-in or password was delightful. The breakfast was okay - some fruit, two types of cereal, yogurt and waffles. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We arrived in Durham after a 5 hour flight into DC and a 6 hour drive through heavy traffic ready to call it a day. I had booked our room about 2 hours before our arrival and was concerned our usual request for a King rom on the ground floor could not be met. I w as pleasantly surprised to find that the room requested was available. The room was fresh and clean and the King bed was very comfortable. We were able to enjoy the complimentary breakfast of waffles, yogurt and juices. A very pleasant stay and we would definitely stay again when traveling through the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple