“Home away from Home”

Extended Stay America - Durham - University
Ranked #58 of 71 Hotels in Durham
“Home away from Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this location for over 2 months. The management staff there was very professional. The location of this hotel was great. It is close to the major highways. Target is just down the street for your shopping needs. The room came equipped with all your kitchen needs. The staff was very helpful with any problems that you may have with your room. I must say that any place other than your home is not going to be perfect but this locations try's to make your stay as close to home as possible. Thanks Extended Stay on Tower Blvd for making my first experience with Durham NC a great one. I would highly recommend this location!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The back side of the building was great.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tamara K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Tamara - The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about your stay with us. We were glad to read that you were pleased with the room amenities, room location, and the service from our staff. We strive to provide a "Home Away from Home" experience for all guest and I am pleased we achieved this during your stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Okay, so the hotel rooms are....average? Not in great condition. I wanted a non smoking room and had to move twice because the "non-smoking" rooms smelled like smoke. I wasn't really surprised for the rate.

When I contacted the front desk for help they were more than happy to help me find a better room. No attitudes, just service. I also needed to switch my reservation as my plans changed, and they were more than accommodating and went out of their way to help.

So, your room will most likely smell like smoke, but the staff, especially the manager Debra,
are excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that your first room smelled of smoke. In response to your feedback, I am going to discuss this issue with my team to make sure everyone continues to work on making our rooms "FRESH". We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at dun@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

The representative were courteous, and helpful. The nonsmoking room reeked of cigarette smoke - febreeze did not help. They need other products. The shuttle svc was reliable, but you have to be very specific with your address, because the hotel paperwork is not, and frequently the shuttle didn't know where you were while waiting for them. There seemed to be a few residents, but overall very quiet. Poorly lit hallways (some places smelled of pee). The cost was very reasonable, which explains the accommodation inadequacies.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that your room smelled of smoke. In response to your feedback, I am going to discuss this issue with my team to make sure everyone continues to work on making our rooms "FRESH". We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at dun@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
West Chester, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We reserved a room for 6/23/13. Knowing we would be arriving around 11pm, we called the hotel in late afternoon to inform them we were indeed coming. The person who answered said she was too busy to talk and reassured us that our reservation was in the computer. When we arrived, they had no room available and offered no alternative. We were left searching the area for a room late at night. We called reservations, who took our complaint and said we would be contacted by customer relations the next day. Three days later -- no call. We contacted customer relations and sat on hold for 20 minutes. We contacted corporate and were able to leave a message for the area manager. Still no response. The company clearly does not care about their customers. Good luck.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joel3_16000
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Joel - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I was disheartened to read that your reservation was not honored, nor did we provide you with an alternative plan so that you would not have to be inconvenienced by looking for another hotel in which to stay. Please accept our apologies. To prevent this from happening again, my team is being coached on making sure each reservation is honored and, in case there is an overbooking, how to provide the guest with other accommodations that we arrange for them.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. I hope that you will contact me directly, at dun@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

My husband is a cancer patient at Duke. We have been staying here, first on Ivy Creek Rd. and had no view and problems with billing. I came across this one on Tower Blvd. Thought it would be better since we were closer to major roads, but upon checking in we had many problems and still do. First morning the coffee pot was cracked, later I had a water leak under the sink that took them 2 weeks of nagging to get fixed, then upon inspection under the beds, there was trash, food, and large dust balls. The sheets & comforter on 1 bed hadn't been changed. Then there is the air unit. Cleaned bag full of lint out, called desk, they cleaned it out. Now it's very musty. There are MANY spiders nested outside out room (300) and nothing is being done. I could go on with more but don't have room. Needs lots of work. Won't stay here again. Got 4 weeks to go after last 2.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 548Sunny2
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that you have been experiencing multiple issues at our location. I really appreciate you speaking to myself and the Hotel Manager over the past couple of days about the issues we need to focus on in order to make your stay more comfortable. We are currently working to ensure we correct all of these in a timely fashion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at rperry@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. Again, I do appreciate you taking time out of your day to sit down and speak with us, and look forward to further communication in the future.
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

The Good:
Location--8 minute drive to the university, 2 minute drive to super target and pharmacy. Despite good location, fairly quiet.
Value--you get a decent sized room with kitchenette and decent sized bathroom.
Friendly Staff--they are helpful and friendly.
Wifi Internet--excellent signal strength and speed, can stream videos.

The Bad:
Hygiene! Sheets and pillowcases seemed not have been changed when I arrived and there was hair on the floor in the bathroom. What was nice was that on being informed, they immediately offered to switch my room. Common areas seem perpetually to have spills, some that look worse than others. In general, the place looks dated. Funny smell in room when first entered.
Drains all clogged--in the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower, very slow drainage.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The situation you described regarding the level of cleanliness in your room is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have met with my entire staff to refresh them on our cleanliness and maintenance standards to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I would be happy to speak with you further. If you would like, please contact me directly, at dun@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
wilmington, nc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Like others have said, the extended stay was convenient (walking distance to fast food and a target is hard to beat) for a reasonable price, but the staff is the true value of staying here, particularly for longterm stays (i.e. more than a few days).

It's a rare quality to encounter hotel staff that can be real people and also consummate professionals willing to help problem solve and stay on top of requests and concerns.

I'll be grateful to those guys for a long time. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business