“Very bad experience”

Extended Stay America - Durham - University
Ranked #60 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 27 June 2014

My stay at this hotel was terrible. I am from out of town and didn't know anything about Durham when I made my reservation. On arrival, my room was dirty, smelled like smoke and there was a burn mark on our comforter. The bathroom was bad. The toilet ran constantly and the floor was peeling up. When the shower water ran, there was a horrible noise from the pipe. There was also no shower curtain. I asked for one, but they never gave it to me. The kitchen was dirty and so was the table. I went and bought Clorox Wipes to clean it myself. The other guests were outside late and one of the nights, the police were there. What put me over the edge was when my son was awaken in the middle of the night because something had bitten him. I pulled back the blankets and there was a roach under the covers. We left the next morning and spend the rest of our time at a different hotel. I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone and will never stay here again. The one positive thing was that the manager who checked me out was very kind and understanding.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Armelle H

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This motel is right across from the big blue glass tower on a quiet street. This is a nice area of Durham, and the motel is fairly new. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the grounds and room, along with the friendly and courteous staff. There is no riff-raff here, and I feel safe and rested. The location is convenient to Chapel Hill and the Research Triangle Park. I highly recommend this one.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank KMartinGardner
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The lobby is very unimpressive and the backlog of people waiting to check in made me think this was not a good choice. It was graduation weekend at local universities plus Mother's Day weekend, so there should have been more than one person working the front desk at 6 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon. And that same person should NOT have been the only person working the front desk at 9 the next morning! The accommodations were ok; mattress & pillows very comfortable. The tv only gets about a dozen channels -- no Comedy central, no HBO, no public tv station. I would not have wanted to spend longer than a week-end there, but at least I slept well the few nights I was there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I called on Saturday to reserve a room for my family arriving in Durham Sunday night from Va. Jackie was the angel that took the reservation. He was such a blessing. I had no doubt I was speaking with a compassionate and caring individual. He made me feel as if he had known me for years. My family arrived on Sunday night and was greeted by Jackie. My family said he was awesome and was as genuine in person as he was on the telephone. My family said the room was clean, neat and over all this was a very good experience. Thank Jackie from me and my family. You Rock!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

I walked in hoping to find a room. I was greeted professionally by Jackie. He was very pleasant and courteous and made me feel welcomed. Unfortunately, they didn't have a non-smoking double available. He was so nice I was mad I couldn't stay. It's so refreshing to get the great customer service you expect. From the outside and lobby the hotel looked nice and clean. I can't vouch for the rooms as I was unable to stay.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about our guest services representative that served you and our hotel overall. I was disheartened to read that we were unable to provide you with a non-smoking double. Please know, we will continue to try to accommodate our guests as best as possible.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Me and my wife stayed at ESA Durham University for a month before eventually transferring to another ESA close to her place of work. Based on the rate, we both knew what to expect with the room. You can hear the foot steps of the guests above your room and sound of water rushing from an opposite room. On my part, you just have to look at the good points of the place. It was comfortable and clean enough. The staff are friendly, especially the manager. They were very professional. We even forgot an item when we left and the staff returned it to us when we got back. The location was very conveniently located to groceries and shops. We definitely would consider going back.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

It is so rewarding to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. Thank you for your comments. Please accept our apologies for the disturbance from other guest. Still, we are happy to know that we were able to provide you with a comfortable and clean room and the staff was friendly and professional.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this location for over 2 months. The management staff there was very professional. The location of this hotel was great. It is close to the major highways. Target is just down the street for your shopping needs. The room came equipped with all your kitchen needs. The staff was very helpful with any problems that you may have with your room. I must say that any place other than your home is not going to be perfect but this locations try's to make your stay as close to home as possible. Thanks Extended Stay on Tower Blvd for making my first experience with Durham NC a great one. I would highly recommend this location!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: The back side of the building was great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tamara K
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - University, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Tamara - The staff and I read your review, and would like to thank you for writing such wonderful things about your stay with us. We were glad to read that you were pleased with the room amenities, room location, and the service from our staff. We strive to provide a "Home Away from Home" experience for all guest and I am pleased we achieved this during your stay.