Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park
Ranked #57 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Durham, North Carolina
“Just what I needed”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Had a wonderful experience staying here. It was clean. The room had everything I needed. I was able to prepare my own meals. It was quiet.

I give kudos to Assistant Manager Kay. She was very helpful and friendly. Would stay again and have already told friends that I had a great experience here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Edmonton
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Value is when the bang for the buck exceeds expectations. Crossland Economy Studies in Durham, North Carolina fills the bill to a 'T'. The room I'm staying in has been more than satisfactory, especially given the cost. Staff are friendly, they do their jobs with a smile, the grounds are well-maintained, and there is more than adequate control over the Crossland environment.

What all that amounts to is a great stay, particularly over a protracted stay. If anyone needs basic overnight or extended accommodations, this one works. However, it's always a good idea to remember that 'economy' can mean no pool or fitness centre. As well, a similar room in another part of the world might well cost twice as much!

Room Tip: I would suggest staying on the north side of the building toward the east end. The bottom floor seem...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Kathy C, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you had great stay with us. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2013

In each of the rooms we stayed in we had an issue with bedbugs. Didnt mention it to the staff, they seemed extremely busy or not available most of the time, but used towels to line the bed and get a good night sleep. Thought it was a coincidence that both my son and I were breaking out in small bumps on our legs, back and arms until we had the opportunity to move to a larger room and had the same issue. I enjoyed having the kitchen area with a fridge, dishes, silverware and glasses though, that was nice, especially on our budget. We were able to cook and save a little money versus running to Burger King or McDonald's for dinner. Due to our itchy experience there, I probably wouldnt return, but it still is a good option for travelers as far as the price is concerned.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about our staff and the features in the room; however, we apologize that we had switch your room because of pests. In response to your feedback. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The non-smoking room smelled like a gigantic ashtray. Furniture was really beat up looking and cleaning staff had obviously done a really poor job: dresser had someones clothes still in it and there was a used hand towel hanging from the shower curtain from the previous guest. I've stayed at some pretty bad hotels in my years, but this one certainly ranks up there as one of the worst. About the only good thing I can say is the front desk staff was friendly.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that room did not meet your expectations. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am retraining the staff on cleaniness. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Slatington
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The staff was incredible ! This is a great place to stay !There is no fitness center or pool here. It is just a basic functional extended stay hotel. The walls are a little thin but not unbearable. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance.(Seriously).

Room Tip: I personally prefer rooms above the first floor as people tend to sit out down there at night but it...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Kathy C, Manager at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you in the future, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Dearing, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Possibly the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at.

When I arrived there was no one manning the front desk. There was only a sign reading that they had stepped out, and there was no bell to ring either. I must have stood there for almost 10 minutes before anybody came in. That is just what I needed after a five hour drive. To make matters worse when the staff member finally did come in there was no acknowledgement of the situation. No "sorry to keep you waiting" or anything like that. Leaving the front desk unmanned is apparently par for the course with this hotel.

Now for the room. No coffee or shampoo was in the room. The staff did a terrible job of cleaning the bathroom. There were pubic hairs left all over the place in the tub. There were some cabinets in the room that had such old doors that the wood on them had expanded and warped.

The place was very noisy. The walls were really thin, so you could hear everything that was happening outside and in the next room.

If all that weren't bad enough then I opened the refrigerator. That produced one of the worst smells that I have experienced in my life. I would have demanded another room after experiencing that, but the office is unmanned again from 11pm to 7am. There was only a phone there that you could use to contact someone in case of an emergency.

And of course the unfriendly staff didn't bother to ask how my stay was when I checked out in the morning.

This place is awful, awful, awful, awful, awful!! Some hotels are five stars this one is five awfuls!! Avoid it like the plague, but if you must stay here then for heavens sake don't open the fridge in room 134.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ClaudeY863
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the refrigerator is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are coaching and retraining the staff. Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at drt@extendedstay.com. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Edmonton
Reviewed 11 February 2013

The hotel is clean, quiet, and well-managed. Staff are always pleasant and willing to help out. I sincerely recommend the Crossland in Durham for either overnight or extended stays. Over the months I've stayed there, there have been no problems of any sort. If equipment fails or isn't up to speed, the situation is resolved without delay.With its 0700-2300 desk hours, access to help is almost always to hand in the case of difficulty.

Although the Crossland isn't especially close to shopping centres and other service facilities, driving distance to everything one might need is short, just minutes away.

All in all, I consider the Crossland to be a huge value for the buck.

Room Tip: I enjoy bottom-floor rooms out of high-traffic areas.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
roadwarriornc, Regional Director of Operations at Crossland Economy Studios - Durham - Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that Staff, Service and Product all met your expectations. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.