“Very comfortable Indeed!!!”

Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Newport News, Virginia
“Very comfortable Indeed!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I always enjoy my trips to see my daughter at Duke by staying at the Brookwood. The rooms are always well-kept, lots of pillows on the bed, and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. Most of the time I have to arrive late (because I fly out after work that day), and they are very accomodating. Will use them on every trip to Duke.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Durham, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

I made a reservation at this hotel based upon the VA's agreed upon rate for Veteran's getting care at the Durham VA Hospital. When my wife called the hotel, she was assured that the room had an accessible shower and that the room was a nice one in the annex. After 4 days of being in the hospital living from pain med to pain med, I was really looking forward to a nice relaxing couple of weeks recuperating in a decent room for my outpatient therapy.

Upon arrival on crutches at the front desk, the staff had a very hard time getting the computer to find our reservation, when we asked if the room was a newer room and whether it had an accessible shower, the answer we were given was "that's all you get for the VA Medical Rate". So we checked in and after viewing the room with the non-accessible shower in the "annex", I requested something else.

The front desk staff was not interested in helping to find me a more recently renovated room at a higher rate or anything else because the computer "was down" although "solitaire" was clearly visible on the terminal when you come in from the door facing the annex. I cancelled my reservation and starting calling around to find a room with an accessible shower. I found one nearby at almost the same rate but in a much nicer facility and much more helpful front staff.

Room Tip: you get what you pay for....
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Slade M
BrookwoodInn, Manager at CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Thank you for letting us know that we failed to meet your needs during your recent visit. We share comments from our guest with our team so that we can try to find ways to better meet their various needs. Unfortunately the room that was reserved for you (through an external agent via fax) was a standard room and did not have the feature that you requested. If is most unfortunate that we were not able to find a room that could meet your needs as it is a simple request if the desired room type is available. If you decide to give us another try please ask us to send you a written confirmation letter by mail or post and you can always send us an email to have us check on the room features if you have specific needs. The feature you requested is indicated in our confirmation letters. Sorry again for the perceived lack of hospitality.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Friendly staff. Easy walk to the hospital. The rooms were very nice and clean. Enjoyed my stay. I would definitely recommend this place to others. Loved coming back to the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank cmorris807
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

I had an excellent stay here for a month. The facility was newly renovated, clean, and quiet. Convenient in-room fridge, microwave, and safe. Environmental unit kept constant comfortable temperature. Coin laundry on premises. 24 hour Staff were friendly and helpful. If you are going to make an extended stay be sure to ask for their extended stay rate- very reasonable! I very highly recommend this facility!

• Stayed February 2012
Granite Falls, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Rooms are clean and make sure you visit Sarah Duke Gardens it is very beautiful and within a couple miles of the motel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Southport, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

The room was very clean and so quiet. We were not in the main building, but in the tower which was cheaper and had not yet been renovated. I had such a restful sleep. The bed was comfy. But the best part of our stay was the breakfast! Delicious coffee, 2 over-easy eggs, perfect grits, toast and sausage. I highly recommend it. About 2 blocks from the pediatric entrance of Duke hospital.

Room Tip: ask for medical discount if you are there for the medical center
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Morehead City, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

We had to take our son to get surgery at the Children's hospital. This was the only logical place to reserve a room based on the proximity of it to the hospital. However, I would choose to stay at this hotel again due to its friendly staff, clean rooms, shuttle service and roomy and comfortable rooms. They recommended a wonderful restuarant, which by presenting our room key, gave us 10% off of our meal.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank tanskydoll20
Travellers also viewed these Durham hotels
The University Inn
#35 of 71 in Durham
Residence Inn Durham McPherson/Duke University Medical Center Area
Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85

Been to CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area

Property: CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area
Address: 2306 Elba Street, Durham, NC 27705
Region: United States > North Carolina > Durham
Business Centre with Internet Access Fitness Centre with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Restaurant Room Service Shuttle Bus service Wheelchair access
#15 Business Hotel in Durham
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): ££
Hotel Class:3 star — CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area 3*
The brand new Cambria Hotel & Suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area is a boutique style hotel close to campus, the hospital and Durham VA. A delicious breakfast and dinner are offered, and the hotel also boasts a bar. Rooms consist of king or two queen size beds, each with mini-refrigerators, microwaves, Keurig coffee makers and large work surfaces. Enjoy the modern feel of hard wood floors and faux brick wall accents. A business center and meeting facilities are available as well. The hotel is only minutes away from Durham Bulls Athletic park, downtown businesses, the historic district and the convention center, Duke Homestead, Sarah P. Duke gardens, Duke Chapel and convenient to area shopping malls. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Brookwood Inn Durham Near Duke University Hotel Durham