CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Visiting family who live near Duke U, I found this hotel on a web search. Very good rates and good staff.

The only issue I had was that I had reserved our room and confirmed it with a credit card. I called the night before we were due to arrive and told the person at the front desk that we were going to be getting in very late as we were flying into DC airport and driving down to Durham. I explained that it would most likely be after 10pm when we arrived but that we were indeed coming. The person said "ok" but I noticed that person did not ask me my name, unless we were the only ones due to check in on that particular day.

I underestimated our drive time plus we stopped for dinner so we did not arrive at the hotel until right before midnight. Checked in fine, got into the room and got online (FREE WIFI) and right away noticed an email sent to me from the Brookwood front desk about half an hour before we checked in saying that our reservation had been CANCELLED. WTH!? We were able to check in fine but I recall the clerk saying something like "so I see you got my email" but I assumed she was referring to the reminder email that I had received the day before, not the email she sent canceling our reservation! I guaranteed the room with a credit card to ensure we would have a room no matter what time we arrived! That was a little disconcerting to me that they would just cancel a reservation like that so I hope that policy (or that clerk's decision) is looked into and corrected so that this does not happen to anyone in the future. Despite being able to check in just fine, the "cancellation" bothered me enough that it is the only reason I did not give the hotel an overall EXCELLENT rating.

Otherwise our stay was very nice and the other staff was quite kind to us. I loved that our room smelled so fresh even checking in as late as we did. Even the hallways had a FRESH smell. I always travel with a small bottle of Febreeze to freshen up our room, but we did not need to use it at all at the Brookwood. And while it is very nice, I noticed they changed the sheets every day. I did think that was a bit too much and sort of a waste, but we've stayed at Hampton Inns which have that same guarantee to wash the sheets, and duvets, every day for every room.

The room we had was large with a king bed, microwave and refrigerator, and a very large flat screened TV which we loved! They put 2 bottles of water in the room for you every day (as long as you are in a room with khaki colored towels and linens) which was very nice for us. The khaki towels and linens are a very nice change from white. After the rooms are cleaned, a supervisor comes to check to make sure everything is sufficient. A few days the housekeeper forgot to leave the 2 bottles of water, but the supervisor brought them to us each time. The bed is comfy although the pillows are quite small. (We do notice that is the norm in most hotels which is a pet peeve of mine.) There is a desk with a swivel chair, and a really nice recliner chair too. And the A/C works wonderfully! We were there when it was quite hot in that area and we found that unlike in other hotels, the a/c at Brookwood does NOT cut off during the night so we were able to sleep very comfortably without getting too warm in the middle of the night.

There is a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius, but we did not take advantage of it since driving just about anywhere was very convenient. Also although there is a restaurant in the lobby of the hotel, we did not eat there.

When I reserved the room, I put in a special request for upper floor, away from the elevator which was granted at check in so it is very nice that they do read the notes and will honor them (If possible).

For the price we paid, the convenience of the location and the accommodations we received, I highly recommend The Brookwood.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ClaireTravels
bidurham, Front Office Manager at CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

I am so sorry you received the cancellation email and that it was distressing.

Our data processing system requires us to update the status of all reservations that have not registered before we close the day and the credit card we had in our system was expired so it was necessary to status to cancelled. We still held your room and we should have blocked the email.

Thanks again for sharing with us and taking time to share the details of your experience!

Let us know if we can help in the future.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Although we thought it would be a good perk, we never used the shuttle as we had anticipated. Excellent location to everything but we found it was just as easy to drive. Likewise, we thought we would use the on site restaurant for breakfast but never did. We did appreciate the daily free water, the afternooncookies and coffee in lobby, and also the special reception in the restaurant for graduate's families one day. Our room was clean and comfortable although as one previous reviewer mentioned, the pillows were a bit large/hard and I wished I'd taken my favorite feather pillow. There were ample plugs: in 2 different spots (at headboard and table) there were adapters fixed on the outlets allowing up to 6 items to be plugged in simultaneously. Cable TV channels, wifi, room safe, ironing board, microwave and fridge -- we used them all. Dual sided magnifying mirror on stand on bathroom counter. Large and plentiful towels. We showered in the evenings as hot water in the mornings was tepid. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hotel is a great place to stay if you are associated with Duke Medical Center. It is a very convenient walk "across the street". It is not a 5 star hotel but is very comfortable, quiet and clean. I spent 3 months here recently and the staff went out of their way to make me comfortable. So thank you very much, Manager Tina, asst manager Johnnie, desk staff Patricia, Steve, Tom, Lisa. I was greeted by name and treated as special. I would not hesitate to stay here again. The free evening cookies were good as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank joesmithChicago
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is solid, not spectacular, but has excellent prices, a special rate for individuals using Duke Medical Center and a shuttle running every 30 minutes to the center. I thought that the restaurant in the hotel was a bit pricy for breakfast, particularly since the food was average.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank welshri
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This was a perfectly adequate hotel - nothing fancy but I would doubt anyone would come to Durham to stay in their hotel room. It's right next to the hospital. We were there for a Duke reunion, and it could not have been more perfect. A shuttle ran from the hotel , pretty much on demand, to anywhere withing a 3 mile radius which included the entire Duke campus. Gave the driver a call, and they would pick you up. Very friendly drivers, great convenience. Very glad we stayed there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank tothegreatbeyond
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed 2 nights for the recent Duke reunion weekend (4/12/2013 - 4/14/2013). The hotel location is convenient, being only a 5 minute drive from the chapel or the K-ville Quad, less if you are visiting the Duke Hospital. In the afternoon, there are free cookies and coffee in the lobby. Parking is convenient and the staff gave us a parking permit upon check in.

The room we had was an updated one on the 3rd floor. The room had 2 double beds, flat screen TV, safe, and dressers for clothes. Stand-out features:
- The bathroom seemed updated/recently renovated and was kept super clean during our stay (and I mean SPOTLESS clean white tiles in the shower, spotless toilet, etc.)
- Iron and ironing board in the room (some hotels you have to request them)
- Mini fridge and microwave for food/leftovers
- Complimentary bottles of water. This was a nice touch as we didn't have to buy water during our stay in Durham.

Some quirks with our stay (though I realize it's based on personal preference, so not all may apply to other travelers):
- We were located near the ice machine, so every 2-4 hours or so, so we could hear the ice machine turn on. It did not hamper us from sleeping, however, but I did notice it when I was reading or watching TV.
- The room had 2 double beds, which are smaller than the queen-sized beds you get at a larger hotel chain (Holiday Inn, etc.)
- Pillows were a bit too stiff for our liking. If you prefer a flatter pillow, definitely bring your own.
- Housekeeping was quite noisy on our floor in the morning. Although we put in the "Do Not Disturb" sign, the noise from the custodians cleaning the adjacent rooms and moving through the hallway was enough to wake us up around 9:00 - 10:00am each day.

Room Tip: If you have sensitive hearing, ask to be away from the ice machine.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2013 via mobile

Was the first hotel we stayed in while in the area! We only stayed 1 night & will not stay here again! The bed was not very comfortable & the cleanliness could have been better! Most of the staff was friendly but took forever to check in! They did have complementary cookies during the afternoon! The best part is they offer a medical rate to patients & families who are in the hospital or have Dr appointments & the hotel is within walking distance to Duke University Medical Center!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank kayleighsmommy
BrookwoodInn, Manager at CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

Serta supplies our bedding and we are currently using their Diamond Suite Plush line. We realize that each individual has specific preferences so feel free to call us if you need details on a particular item at our hotel.
As always thank you for sharing you experience!