Visiting family who live near Duke U, I found this hotel on a web search. Very good rates and good staff.
The only issue I had was that I had reserved our room and confirmed it with a credit card. I called the night before we were due to arrive and told the person at the front desk that we were going to be getting in very late as we were flying into DC airport and driving down to Durham. I explained that it would most likely be after 10pm when we arrived but that we were indeed coming. The person said "ok" but I noticed that person did not ask me my name, unless we were the only ones due to check in on that particular day.
I underestimated our drive time plus we stopped for dinner so we did not arrive at the hotel until right before midnight. Checked in fine, got into the room and got online (FREE WIFI) and right away noticed an email sent to me from the Brookwood front desk about half an hour before we checked in saying that our reservation had been CANCELLED. WTH!? We were able to check in fine but I recall the clerk saying something like "so I see you got my email" but I assumed she was referring to the reminder email that I had received the day before, not the email she sent canceling our reservation! I guaranteed the room with a credit card to ensure we would have a room no matter what time we arrived! That was a little disconcerting to me that they would just cancel a reservation like that so I hope that policy (or that clerk's decision) is looked into and corrected so that this does not happen to anyone in the future. Despite being able to check in just fine, the "cancellation" bothered me enough that it is the only reason I did not give the hotel an overall EXCELLENT rating.
Otherwise our stay was very nice and the other staff was quite kind to us. I loved that our room smelled so fresh even checking in as late as we did. Even the hallways had a FRESH smell. I always travel with a small bottle of Febreeze to freshen up our room, but we did not need to use it at all at the Brookwood. And while it is very nice, I noticed they changed the sheets every day. I did think that was a bit too much and sort of a waste, but we've stayed at Hampton Inns which have that same guarantee to wash the sheets, and duvets, every day for every room.
The room we had was large with a king bed, microwave and refrigerator, and a very large flat screened TV which we loved! They put 2 bottles of water in the room for you every day (as long as you are in a room with khaki colored towels and linens) which was very nice for us. The khaki towels and linens are a very nice change from white. After the rooms are cleaned, a supervisor comes to check to make sure everything is sufficient. A few days the housekeeper forgot to leave the 2 bottles of water, but the supervisor brought them to us each time. The bed is comfy although the pillows are quite small. (We do notice that is the norm in most hotels which is a pet peeve of mine.) There is a desk with a swivel chair, and a really nice recliner chair too. And the A/C works wonderfully! We were there when it was quite hot in that area and we found that unlike in other hotels, the a/c at Brookwood does NOT cut off during the night so we were able to sleep very comfortably without getting too warm in the middle of the night.
There is a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius, but we did not take advantage of it since driving just about anywhere was very convenient. Also although there is a restaurant in the lobby of the hotel, we did not eat there.
When I reserved the room, I put in a special request for upper floor, away from the elevator which was granted at check in so it is very nice that they do read the notes and will honor them (If possible).
For the price we paid, the convenience of the location and the accommodations we received, I highly recommend The Brookwood.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The brand new Cambria Hotel & Suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area is a boutique style hotel close to campus, the hospital and Durham VA. A delicious breakfast and dinner are offered, and the hotel also boasts a bar. Rooms consist of king or two queen size beds, each with mini-refrigerators, microwaves, Keurig coffee makers and large work surfaces. Enjoy the modern feel of hard wood floors and faux brick wall accents. A business center and meeting facilities are available as well. The hotel is only minutes away from Durham Bulls Athletic park, downtown businesses, the historic district and the convention center, Duke Homestead, Sarah P. Duke gardens, Duke Chapel and convenient to area shopping malls. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Choice Hotels, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Brookwood Inn Durham Near Duke University Hotel Durham
- Brookwood Hotel Durham
- Brookwood Hotel Duke University