“OK, for visit to Duke Hospita.”

CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Durham
asheville, north carolina
“OK, for visit to Duke Hospita.”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The motel is very close to the Duke Hospital (and to the VA Hospital too, I believe). Our room was adequate -- decent sized, clean, furnished OK. The bathroom looked like it had been recently modernized a bit. It was quite hot and humid when we were there, and there was a dehumidifier running in the hall, but the room and hallway were still pretty musty. I heard several people talking about elevator problems, but did not encounter any myself. There is adequate, free, parking. They offer an optional breakfast for an added price, which was pretty good and certainly convenient. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The staff seemed efficient, if not particularly welcoming. The price seemed to me a bit high for the quality received.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Garner
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

The staff was personable; room was comfortable and clean. It is my desire for veteran to be able to stay there for less.. The transportation service that the hotel provides is wonderful. We stay hear for every veteran Hospital appointment . it is easy access for our appointments. Please try to make the price so we pay less than 100.00 for the total bill. run lower hospital specials for veterans. thank you so much. Kathy B

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Omababy
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Pros: Price, availability, location, shuttle service, cleanliness, nice beds, very efficient and accomadating staff
Cons: No continental breakfast, spotty Wi-Fi 6th floor and up, no pool or kids stuff

Room Tip: Try to get a room below the 6th floor, the Wi-Fi is better there.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
indianapolis in usa
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Room was small but very clean and nicely decorated. Stayed here before and felt that the place had been updated nicely. Bathroom modern, clean with great towels and nice toiletries. Fitness room was small but no problem having to wait to use it. Hotel convenient to Duke University and surroundings. Would def. recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: air conditioner a little noisy but did not hear any outside noise at front of hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This hotel was convenient to Duke for a class I took this summer. Very close to hospitals. Couple-owned. Great shuttle service. Rooms were clean and I loved the fridge and microwave. If in the area, I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank duranfreak
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Visiting family who live near Duke U, I found this hotel on a web search. Very good rates and good staff.

The only issue I had was that I had reserved our room and confirmed it with a credit card. I called the night before we were due to arrive and told the person at the front desk that we were going to be getting in very late as we were flying into DC airport and driving down to Durham. I explained that it would most likely be after 10pm when we arrived but that we were indeed coming. The person said "ok" but I noticed that person did not ask me my name, unless we were the only ones due to check in on that particular day.

I underestimated our drive time plus we stopped for dinner so we did not arrive at the hotel until right before midnight. Checked in fine, got into the room and got online (FREE WIFI) and right away noticed an email sent to me from the Brookwood front desk about half an hour before we checked in saying that our reservation had been CANCELLED. WTH!? We were able to check in fine but I recall the clerk saying something like "so I see you got my email" but I assumed she was referring to the reminder email that I had received the day before, not the email she sent canceling our reservation! I guaranteed the room with a credit card to ensure we would have a room no matter what time we arrived! That was a little disconcerting to me that they would just cancel a reservation like that so I hope that policy (or that clerk's decision) is looked into and corrected so that this does not happen to anyone in the future. Despite being able to check in just fine, the "cancellation" bothered me enough that it is the only reason I did not give the hotel an overall EXCELLENT rating.

Otherwise our stay was very nice and the other staff was quite kind to us. I loved that our room smelled so fresh even checking in as late as we did. Even the hallways had a FRESH smell. I always travel with a small bottle of Febreeze to freshen up our room, but we did not need to use it at all at the Brookwood. And while it is very nice, I noticed they changed the sheets every day. I did think that was a bit too much and sort of a waste, but we've stayed at Hampton Inns which have that same guarantee to wash the sheets, and duvets, every day for every room.

The room we had was large with a king bed, microwave and refrigerator, and a very large flat screened TV which we loved! They put 2 bottles of water in the room for you every day (as long as you are in a room with khaki colored towels and linens) which was very nice for us. The khaki towels and linens are a very nice change from white. After the rooms are cleaned, a supervisor comes to check to make sure everything is sufficient. A few days the housekeeper forgot to leave the 2 bottles of water, but the supervisor brought them to us each time. The bed is comfy although the pillows are quite small. (We do notice that is the norm in most hotels which is a pet peeve of mine.) There is a desk with a swivel chair, and a really nice recliner chair too. And the A/C works wonderfully! We were there when it was quite hot in that area and we found that unlike in other hotels, the a/c at Brookwood does NOT cut off during the night so we were able to sleep very comfortably without getting too warm in the middle of the night.

There is a shuttle that will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius, but we did not take advantage of it since driving just about anywhere was very convenient. Also although there is a restaurant in the lobby of the hotel, we did not eat there.

When I reserved the room, I put in a special request for upper floor, away from the elevator which was granted at check in so it is very nice that they do read the notes and will honor them (If possible).

For the price we paid, the convenience of the location and the accommodations we received, I highly recommend The Brookwood.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ClaireTravels
bidurham, Front Office Manager at CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
I am so sorry you received the cancellation email and that it was distressing.

Our data processing system requires us to update the status of all reservations that have not registered before we close the day and the credit card we had in our system was expired so it was necessary to status to cancelled. We still held your room and we should have blocked the email.

Thanks again for sharing with us and taking time to share the details of your experience!

Let us know if we can help in the future.
SE PA
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Although we thought it would be a good perk, we never used the shuttle as we had anticipated. Excellent location to everything but we found it was just as easy to drive. Likewise, we thought we would use the on site restaurant for breakfast but never did. We did appreciate the daily free water, the afternooncookies and coffee in lobby, and also the special reception in the restaurant for graduate's families one day. Our room was clean and comfortable although as one previous reviewer mentioned, the pillows were a bit large/hard and I wished I'd taken my favorite feather pillow. There were ample plugs: in 2 different spots (at headboard and table) there were adapters fixed on the outlets allowing up to 6 items to be plugged in simultaneously. Cable TV channels, wifi, room safe, ironing board, microwave and fridge -- we used them all. Dual sided magnifying mirror on stand on bathroom counter. Large and plentiful towels. We showered in the evenings as hot water in the mornings was tepid. Would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family