CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Duke University Medical Center Area
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Portland, Maine
“Adequate for Duke Visit”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Intended to stay at this hotel for 5 nights while training at Duke. Only plus was that it was right across street from the medical center, and you pay the price for that single convenience. I was put in the "dormitory" and, although clean, the halls were a bit rundown and depressing with no amenities. My plan had been to stay close to Duke to avoid a car rental but there were no restaurants or grocery stores nearby. After two nights, I ended up checking out, relocating to a less expensive, more comfortable hotel 10 minutes out of town, and was much happier.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Beth P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Everything at the hotel was fine. The only problem we had was that we were shuttled over to Duke Medical Center and when our appointment was over, we called for the shuttle to return to get us, and no-one ever did. We ended up walking back to the hotel. This wouldn't have been a problem but my Mom, who was seen at Duke, is not in very good health and this was quite a trek for her. I'm not sure why they didn't return but we waited for an hour after the information desk at the medical center called for the shuttle.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Lumberton, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My husband, son and I stayed at the Brookwood because my son needed some tests at Duke and it is very close to the hospital. The room was cozy and clean and we had everything we needed. The staff at the desk and in the hotel restaurant were very nice. (The restaurant had a 99 Sanitation rating which I thought was awesome.) We were able to walk from the hotel to the hospital which was helpful as we are not familiar with the area. We had a good experience and would stay again if we needed to return to Duke Hospital.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank adlawson
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 February 2014

My son and I stayed at Brookwood Inn while my son had testing done in the clinic. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was clean and neat, with everything that we needed. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

When the forecast in the Raleigh- Durham area forecasted 4-6 inches, I planned ahead for my job across the street at the hospital and made a reservation for 2 nights. I knew I wouldn't be able to make it back and forth from Raleigh so I packed a bag for several nights. I was so grateful to have a room and a bed but the Brookwood Inn exceeded all of my expectations. I stayed in one of the executive rooms. My room was spotless and had everything I needed. What I appreciate most of all was the kindness and helpfulness of all of the staff. To the two ladies at the front desk, the shuttle driver who drove me across the street to work because it was a treacherous walk and the lovely waitress who served me breakfast, then dinner and then breakfast again I say thank you very much. Although the diner usually closes at 2:00, they served soup and grilled cheese to two of my coworkers who work 3rd shift and took refuge in my room during my day shift. They also stayed open for dinner when so many places were closed. Many of us guests would not have been able to have dinner otherwise. Although I hope we don't have another storm anytime soon, you can bet I will be making my reservation at the Brookwood Inn. Although my stay comes out of my pocket, I will not be reimbursed, it was well worth it to be able stay safe, to report to work on time and only concern myself with patient care. Thank you Brookwood Inn for all you did during the storm to serve the needs of our community!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Sixfishers
Eden, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My friend who was a patient at Duke in the Spinal Center and I spent three nights at the Brookwood Inn during the recent snowstorm that crippled travel in the area. The staff was helpful and kind. The rooms are clean and nice with many plug-ins and comfortable heating. The restaurant on the property is convenient as well. The location is the plus if you are at Duke Hospital! The shuttle drivers are awesome! They made our stay wonderful. Anthony and George are kind, helpful, and accommodating. Anthony carried my luggage through the snow for me, and he took us off campus to a restaurant and promptly returned for us when we called. The only part I didn't like about my stay was the incompetent IT department. I called those guys three times, and they did not get me online or return my call to tell me why they couldn't help me. As great as everything else is at this location, I think the staff needs to work on getting internet problems solved. There is a Business Center in the North Tower, but I wanted to work in my room! Comfortable and quiet and a nice stay overall. Helpful desk workers, too!

Room Tip: Choose the North Tower. Avoid the South Tower is you have a choice.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 January 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at the Brookwood Inn while I had sutgery at the VA Medical Cent er. We made reservations for a medical rate room. When we got to the hotel, they were out of the rooms but upgraded our room upon arrival. The room was surprisingly clean and well furnished, the staff was extreamly pleasant and helpful, and you couldn't beat the location, right across the street from the main entrance. We will be staying at the Brook wood on all future visits.

• Stayed January 2014