“Perfect for our stay at Duke Hospital”

CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University
Ranked #31 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Brookwood Inn is closet hotel to the main hospital at Duke. I didn't have any complaints about the place. The staff was very friendly and the hotel was clean. This hotel is perfect for anyone who has to use the VA hospital or Duke. I din't have to drive anywhere or use a parking deck. They always had coffee and they had free cookies in the afternoon. My mother-in-law used the shuttle and was very pleased. The fitness room isn't the greatest but it helped me run off some of the stress of sitting in a hospital room all day. I will stay here again the next time I visit the hospital.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank chilly53d

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed at this Brookwood in May 2013 and I wrote a review that was great cause our stay was great. This time we visited June 2014 and the stay was not as great as just one year ago.

Again the Brookwood is very convenient for the medical center and the school. Our request for upper floor was honored and we were on the 8th floor. I did not notice the "FRESH" smell that I had noticed in May 2013, not in the hallways or the room so I did have to wind up using my Febreeze for our room. It didn't smell bad - just Febreeze freshens it up. The Executive King is a very nice room. Large king bed, refrig, microwave, desk, chair, safe, and a large TV. Bottled water is provided complimentary daily which is very nice. The bed is comfortable but the pillows are small. Every day I meant to ask for an extra pillow but I always forgot. I love that the towels in the bathroom are cream (khaki) colored instead of your standard white.

Although my last review said the a/c worked great, this year not so much so perhaps it was this particular room cause we were warm most nights. It just did not seem to adequately cool the room. Again it was quite warm in Durham during our stay. Although we put the thermostat down to 67, it never got even close to that and many nights we had to kick off the covers during our sleep. Thankfully I brought a small portable fan for my bedside and I had to use it most nights we were there.

The staff is kind and when we checked in they had warm cookies on the registration counter which was really nice but I did not recall from the previous year so it may be a new thing. We didn't see them again after that first night however we returned later in the evening every day.

There is a safe in the room but we had no problems with our belongings left in the room. But it is nice that they have it for your convenience. The shower is nice and water pressure good. They have lots of plugs for charging all your electronics which is also very nice.

Although it is a good price and very convenient, I think if we had to come back to Durham we would probably not stay at the Brookwood because of the a/c situation. Maybe it was just the unit for our particular room that failed us. We got up and out every day so we were not able to be there for them to come in and repair it and moving to another room would have been a huge pain. Hotel staff (housekeeping??) should be on top of knowing which rooms have efficient equipment and guests should not be subjected to "trying out a room" just to find out something does not work. Changing a room after moving everything in is really a huge hassle! So just be mindful of that if like me you require very cool temperature for sleeping.

Room Tip: I always ask for upper floor away from elevator cause some elevators make dings or gongs which can i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ClaireTravels
Reviewed 13 June 2014

For access to Duke Hospital or VA it is really convenient. There are eateries within walking distance and a shuttle for transport. Parking is at a premium so only one parking pass per room is allowed without additional charge. One desk clerk was rather curt and dismissive when asked about suggestions for eating out. MAYBE having a bad day! Would hope that is not the norm.
Some noise with air conditioner cycling but does cool quickly. You will hear sirens and helicopters frequently due to location if you are not a sound sleeper.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Kathy C
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We checked in on a Sunday afternoon and left Wednesday morning. Our room was great, clean, everything worked. The little cafe' downstairs was nice. At the desk you can get a paper with directions to so many restaurants, and other places you may need. It is within walking distance of Duke North. The shuttle was very helpful to us. I had reserved a smoking room, but didn't get one. That was my only complaint.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Linda D
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great value for the price. Clean and spacious room. Super-conveniently located for anybody coming to Duke University Hospital. I was pleasantly surprised when I was allowed to check in earlier than the official check-in time without any hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank VerusiaG
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Within walking distance of both VA Hospital and Duke Hospital. Has a reduced rate for medical care. Reasonably comfortable rooms. Reasonable small restaurant in lobby. Free in-room Wi-Fi. Has two elevators. Interior entrances. Free parking. Older hotel, but kept clean. Out of the way of most restaurants and shopping, but must guests are there for medical treatment.

Room Tip: Don't overlook the rear parking lot.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Alex T
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed at the Brookwood one other time last year, as my son was a student at Duke University. This hotel is very close to West Campus. Last weekend we stayed here again for my sons graduation. I was overly impressed with the shuttle service they offered at no extra charge, as well as the late night snacks offered in the lobby. It's a clean, convenient hotel with very kind staff people. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Daubin21
Travellers also viewed these Durham hotels
Hilton Garden Inn Durham/University Medical Center
Millennium Durham
Millennium Durham
#33 of 71 in Durham
Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown

Been to CAMBRiA hotel & suites Durham - Near Duke University? Share your experiences!