“It Served its Purpose”

Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 5 January 2014

As a Marriott Rewards member, I am often spoiled by the friendly service and great facilities at each hotel. While the service at the Courtyard RTP was indeed friendly, the room was just okay. Of course, a room at a Marriott that's just okay is usually better than other hotel chains. There's just nothing special at this Courtyard. As the title implies, we needed a room for the night, so the Courtyard served its purpose. In retrospect, we should have stayed at the Residence Inn right next door where we could have gotten a 2-room suite and a free hot breakfast for just a little more money. If a free hot breakfast is important to you, then Courtyard is not the way to go.
All of this negative talk is not to suggest that our experience was bad - it wasn't. The hotel was fine for an overnight stay. There is a Chick-fil-A right across the street.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Tara T, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Stormcrow8,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us at the Courtyard Durham-RTP. We appreciate it. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and experienced our friendly staff and great service. The Bistro serves breakfast and dinner with many food options. Please let us know the next time you are in the area. We look forward to seeing you at one of our Marriott hotels in Durham-RTP.

There are newer reviews for Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel takes all the hassle out of traveling. I don't even dread spending 4-5 days away from home when I come stay at the Courtyard RTP. The entire staff here is super friendly and truly makes me feel at home. The bistro here has some of the best food in the area and has phenomenal service. Living north of the Mason-Dixon my whole life, I never experienced true southern hospitality until I came here, despite living in Georgia for the past year. I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: ask for the Kings Suite!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Tara T, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Joe F.,
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel the Courtyard RTP/Durham. We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear the comments regarding our super friendly staff and phenomenal service. The staff wants every guest to feel at home and we're happy to hear that you experienced that. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I am a current Marriott Elite Member and I have had my share of guest service experiences, so customer service is a BIG DEAL for me. If I'm not mistaken, the desk clerk by the name of either Shane or Shea was great. Please excuse me, I'm really bad with names. I was visting the RTP area for some training I had at NetApp. I was only there for a few days, so I didn't feel the need to rent a car. Big MISTAKE!!!!!!!!! A car is a must in this area. I called down to schedule a Taxi pick up for 8:45 a.m. with the young lady at the desk. Came down for breakfast at about 8:15. FYI: the breakfast was average, but it took a very long time to finally get my order. I ordered an oatmeal with a cup of regular coffee and it felt like I waited 15 minutes for it.
I was done eating right around the time the cab was scheduled to pick me up. Ten minutes after the scheduled time, still no cab. Without even asking, the desk clerk called to Taxi company to get an ETA. She walked over to me and gave me a very sincere apology, then informed me that it would be about five minutes. Normally, the person would just walk away and continue on with whatever they need to do. She stood there, ask me how my stay was so far. I mentioned some minor issues in the room, that was by the way taken care of by the time I got back to the hotel. She was able to turn a very aggravating and time consuming issue, into a pleasant one. She handled that gracefully.
The rooms had no lotion or conditioner. The tub was stained really bad, made it look very dirty.
Need more man power at the Bistro. The wait should not be more than five minutes for some oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Maybe consider having a shuttle service for your hotel guests.
Overall, my stay was very good. Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Be sure to have your own form of transportation. The only thing within walking distance are fast foo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Dawn R.,
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel the Courtyard Durham/RTP. We appreciate your feedback and was happy to hear you experienced our friendly and helpful staff. If we feel short in some areas we apologize and wil definitely address the staff in the appropriate departments. The hotel's Bistro is new with our recent full renovation and was glad you had a chnace to experience it. Please let us know the next time you are in the area. We look for to seeing you!

Reviewed 24 October 2013

I'm a card carrying Marriott member so you know I usually pick Marriott. But in some ways I was a little bit disappointed with this one. Just came off a budget vacation in which I stayed at several Comfort Inns, and frankly, all of them were nicer than this Marriott.

Positive:

Very clean
Well landscaped
Near the freeway
Quiet

Negative:

Lackluster front desk clerk. Competent but failed to smile and her "have a good day" parting words were entirely perfunctory. Terribly offputting when you first come into the hotel for your stay.
Bathroom countertop is nearly nonexistent. Why is this important? Because I like to leave my cosmetics and toiletries on the counter the whole time I'm staying in a hotel room so that I don't have to keep schlepping them from the suitcase to the bathroom. This is important when you share a hotel room with another person. If the counter is too small to store your junk on it, then you must remove it repeatedly out of courtesy to the other party. Comfort Inn has a nice long bathroom counter.

Would I stay at this Marriott again? Not if I can find a Comfort Inn with a friendly front desk clerk and a big bathroom counter.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear Ginny000,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel the Courtyard Durham/RTP. We appreciate your feedback regarding the clean, well landscaped, and quiet hotel. We apologize if we fell short in some areas and will definitely address them with the staff. We appreciate that you're a Marriott member and as you know our Platinum members receive a complimentary upgrade to our larger rooms when available. The hotel's suites and larger king rooms do have more bathroom counter space. Please let us know the next time you are in the the area and we would be happy to assist you with your accomodations.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

A quiet little hotel with excellent staff service. Antonio at the front desk was super helpful and really friendly. The bedroom are typical of a business hotel... Nothing to write home about... It's really the staff that make your stay so great. Lots of options for breakfast... Freshly baked muffins, tubs of fresh fruit, etc.

The only drawback with this hotel is that it's rather isolated so you need to travel at least 10 mins to get to a decent restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Tara T, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel the Courtyard Durham/RTP. Thank you for mentioning one of our hospitable employees and will definitely let them know. We are glad to know you were pleased with the several options at breakfast and dinner in the Bistro. Please let us know the next time you are in the area. We look forward to seeing you!

Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

This Courtyard is as you would expect if you know the brand. The lobby has the updated style with updated deli counter as well. The rooms appeared to have updated furnishings, as everything looked new. Housekeeping did a good job too.

My only negative thought about this location is the front desk. When I arrived to check-in, there was someone there. But every other time I walked in the front door, the front desk was not occupied by a hotel employee. Normally this would be fine, but on 2 occasions I was hoping to ask a question. This seemed odd, as compared to other Marriott hotels and other Courtyards.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel in Durham/RTP. We appreciate the feedback regarding the cleanliness of the room and the new Bistro that serves breakfast and dinner. We apologize that you experienced a problem while at the hotel and we will definitely address it with the employees. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were leaving Atlanta, Ga about 730 PM on Friday, September 21, 2013 for a trip to Durham, NC for a funeral at 2pm on Saturday morning. We advised in our online reservation that we would be arriving very late around midnight. However, we ran into some road construction a little after Charlotte that slowed us down and it was way after midnight when we came through it. I called the hotel and advised that we were running late but we were on our way probably about an hour and we were told that it would be more like two hours but to not worry our reservation was still intact. Shortly thereafter everything came to a stop and we sat there for over an hour and we never saw what happened but people were outside their cars talking and socializing wondering what the hold up was. At about 3 am when we were frantically on our way, I received a call from Nikki at the hotel telling us that she was concerned about us and were we okay. I thought that was going over and beyond the call of duty and that really impressed us that she took the time to call us. When we arrived we were met outside and she helped us gather our nerves and ourselves together. We were given a lovely room and told of a wonderful place for breakfast and said that we did not have to check out until twelve noon which was very good to hear as we were bone tired. So I just want management to know that your employee Nikki was very hospitable and caring and we want you to know that we appreciated it and will definately recommend and stay at your hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It sounds like after having a long trip to North Carolina you experienced one of our hospitable employees that went "above and beyond"! We will definitely give your feedback to the employee. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area.