“Average Courtyard but nothing special”

Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park
Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Title says it all. This hotel is average. Rooms were quiet. HVAC worked well.

Few places within <2 miles to eat expect fast door or low-end places.

Ok for a 1 night biz trip. If a longer trip, an alt location may be better.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tara T, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding our hotel. We appreciate your comments. There are places to eat and shop nearby but we also have a new Bistro that serves breakfast and dinner. It's very convenient for the guest that wants to stay in. Please let us know the next time you are in the area. We look forward to seeing you.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel a few weekends ago with my husband and two children when we were without power due to an ice storm. The hotel has been remodeled within the past few years. The room was nice and clean. The bathroom was a little spartan but clean. The hotel offered a rate which included breakfast for two adults with children dining for free. This was a good value for the price. The cafe in the hotel is a cross between a fast service place and a full restaurant with some hot dining items and grab and go items. It worked for our family and it had power, heat and internet so it met all our needs for the weekend. If you are in town to see the sights, I would recommend a hotel closer to town within walking distance of some attractions but if you are in the area for business in RTP, it is a perfect location with nice amenities. The fitness room was very nice and I took advantage of it to get a run in on the treadmill. The front desk staff was friendly, which is always a positive for me.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kelly P
Tara T, Property Sales Coordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Tarheel 21,

Thank you for the feedback regarding our hotel the Courtyard RTP/Durham. We appreciate it! So glad you and your family had a nice stay with a clean room. Our friendly staff strives to take care of every guest. Please let us know the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have been staying with Marriott for years, whether it is for business travel or personal. But my stay this past weekend has truly been one of my best stays EVER. I typically stay in full service Marriott’s and chose this one because it was closer to my destination. I was greeted with a friendly "good morning" by the young lady at the front desk. Siobhan was very pleasant and enthusiastic about helping me with directions and places to visit and eat while in town. There was an error on my bill and she was swift about correcting the issue and very apologetic. My room was very clean and spacious...the price wasn’t bad either! I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Tara T, Property SalesCoordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Monica,
Thank you for taking the time and giving us feedback regarding our hotel in Durham/RTP. We are glad you experienced our helpful and attentive staff. The hotel's Bistro is opening for breakfast and dinner and there are many food options for our guests. Please let us know the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Your typical CM near RTP & RDU. Has a small fitness room with (4) exercise machines. The lobby has been renovated and now has the "Courtyard Cafe".

I had one issue with the property: the cafe was understaffed during evening hours. It took 15-20 minutes to get food and saw one customer that had to wait over 20 minutes for drink he had ordered. I ended up going to market at front desk and bought dinner from the fridge; just a little disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Antonio L, Operations Supervisor at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear elon94,
I would like to thank you for making the Durham Research Triangle Park Courtyard by Marriott your hotel of choice while visiting Durham, NC! It is our duty to ensure everyone has a wonderful experience at our Courtyard -- and unfortunately, you were not pleased with the service provided in the Bistro. It is our responsibility for all orders to be delivered in a timely matter, and I would like to personally ensure that during your next visit you will receive speedy and efficient service!

In the mean time, if there is anything I can do to be of further assistant or even help plan your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me.

At Your Service,
Antonio Locus, Operations Supervisor

Reviewed 5 January 2014

As a Marriott Rewards member, I am often spoiled by the friendly service and great facilities at each hotel. While the service at the Courtyard RTP was indeed friendly, the room was just okay. Of course, a room at a Marriott that's just okay is usually better than other hotel chains. There's just nothing special at this Courtyard. As the title implies, we needed a room for the night, so the Courtyard served its purpose. In retrospect, we should have stayed at the Residence Inn right next door where we could have gotten a 2-room suite and a free hot breakfast for just a little more money. If a free hot breakfast is important to you, then Courtyard is not the way to go.
All of this negative talk is not to suggest that our experience was bad - it wasn't. The hotel was fine for an overnight stay. There is a Chick-fil-A right across the street.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Tara T, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Stormcrow8,
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us at the Courtyard Durham-RTP. We appreciate it. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and experienced our friendly staff and great service. The Bistro serves breakfast and dinner with many food options. Please let us know the next time you are in the area. We look forward to seeing you at one of our Marriott hotels in Durham-RTP.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel takes all the hassle out of traveling. I don't even dread spending 4-5 days away from home when I come stay at the Courtyard RTP. The entire staff here is super friendly and truly makes me feel at home. The bistro here has some of the best food in the area and has phenomenal service. Living north of the Mason-Dixon my whole life, I never experienced true southern hospitality until I came here, despite living in Georgia for the past year. I cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: ask for the Kings Suite!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Tara T, Property Coordinator at Courtyard Durham Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear Joe F.,
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel the Courtyard RTP/Durham. We appreciate your feedback and glad to hear the comments regarding our super friendly staff and phenomenal service. The staff wants every guest to feel at home and we're happy to hear that you experienced that. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I am a current Marriott Elite Member and I have had my share of guest service experiences, so customer service is a BIG DEAL for me. If I'm not mistaken, the desk clerk by the name of either Shane or Shea was great. Please excuse me, I'm really bad with names. I was visting the RTP area for some training I had at NetApp. I was only there for a few days, so I didn't feel the need to rent a car. Big MISTAKE!!!!!!!!! A car is a must in this area. I called down to schedule a Taxi pick up for 8:45 a.m. with the young lady at the desk. Came down for breakfast at about 8:15. FYI: the breakfast was average, but it took a very long time to finally get my order. I ordered an oatmeal with a cup of regular coffee and it felt like I waited 15 minutes for it.
I was done eating right around the time the cab was scheduled to pick me up. Ten minutes after the scheduled time, still no cab. Without even asking, the desk clerk called to Taxi company to get an ETA. She walked over to me and gave me a very sincere apology, then informed me that it would be about five minutes. Normally, the person would just walk away and continue on with whatever they need to do. She stood there, ask me how my stay was so far. I mentioned some minor issues in the room, that was by the way taken care of by the time I got back to the hotel. She was able to turn a very aggravating and time consuming issue, into a pleasant one. She handled that gracefully.
The rooms had no lotion or conditioner. The tub was stained really bad, made it look very dirty.
Need more man power at the Bistro. The wait should not be more than five minutes for some oatmeal and a cup of coffee. Maybe consider having a shuttle service for your hotel guests.
Overall, my stay was very good. Looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Be sure to have your own form of transportation. The only thing within walking distance are fast foo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Dawn R.,
Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our hotel the Courtyard Durham/RTP. We appreciate your feedback and was happy to hear you experienced our friendly and helpful staff. If we feel short in some areas we apologize and wil definitely address the staff in the appropriate departments. The hotel's Bistro is new with our recent full renovation and was glad you had a chnace to experience it. Please let us know the next time you are in the area. We look for to seeing you!