“Do not stay here!”

Residence Inn Durham Research Triangle Park
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 28 July 2008

When we walked into our room, the first thing that hit you was the smell. It's hard to say if it was mold or maybe left over from someone's pet but there was a definite odor. My son then walked into one of the bedrooms and noticed a large wet spot on the carpet. He grabbed a towel to try and soak it up and whatever it was turned the towel yellow. At that point we requested a different room. The next room that they gave us smelled like mold and the bedroom door was hanging off the hinges. At that point, we decided we could not stand to stay there for five nights and asked to cancel our reservation.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank lateforit
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Durham Research Triangle Park

Reviewed 27 May 2008

I am a marriott rewards customer and a owner in their vacation club, I have never gotten a room or service like this before.
First i will start with the positive, the outside of the property is upkept well enough, although the parking is troublesome, not enough spaces. The breakfast was good, but come early especially on the weekends, it gets very busy and full, not enough tables. The front desk was good and understanding, waiting on the outcome of the charges involved, will explain later.
The neg side of things. My experience is with room #2012, which is a 2 bedroom suite on the first floor. There is mold growing in the one closet area that has been covered up, at first you do not notice it, but after staying there one night, the next morning you realize that something is making you blow your nose,eyes watering etc... also due to the fact that we got there very late, found wet sheets for the pull out sofa, no extra pillows for the sofa, and only 1 extra blanket, apprarently the dryer must be not working, for the sheets that they gave us to use were also damp!! along with the fact that when we asked for a blanket, we were handed a baby blanket and was told that this was the only thing that they had left!! I have never been to a hotel that said that to me and will never be back to this one again, i must say that in about 15 minutes, we were brought a regular sized blanket to use along with dryer sheets, this was the third time that we tried to get sheets and a blanket. I am one who understands that things can happen, and in fact this is the first time i have every written a complaint about any hotel, much less one of a hotel chain that has given my family many good experiences, but this room and the service is not what it should have been, or what someone should expect to get. Needless to say, the mold in the room made the stay very uncomfortable, and we did not get much sleep due to the smell etc... Because I understand that "things happen" I did not demand a new room/or make any other demands at the time, but what i did do is let the assistant manager on duty the morning we left know of the problems and expected to have some hopefull outcome of this experience. Which brings me to my statement earlier of waiting on the outcome, the assistant manager wanted to know if there was something she could do for us, i asked what can you do?? She informed me that she would take care of the expenses of the stay with them. So, i guess i will find out if that is going to be the case or not.
One thing is sure, i will not be back to this marriott, and will now look even closer at the ones that i go to, for this is unexceptional.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2007

Was very impressed with the way the Handicapped room was set up!

Actually this room had an Oven!!!!

When we got to the Room the tv was starting to go out, and make noises as well, and the Maintenance Man Mr. Starling took care of the problem that day. Figured out that it was something to do with the in room movie channel, and if it continued for us to give him another call. The next day had to call him due to the screen going completely green. He swapped out a Tv with another room.
Did not take him several days to do it either. But he took the time to make sure that everything worked correctly before he left.

The front desk help was fabulous. Margarett, is a type of person that thrives on making sure that everything is just right. She is a happy person and should be recognized for her thoughtfullness.
Then there is Mr. Richard, he is a sweet person and also needs to be recognized as well for his thoughtfullness. He would go beyond being just the front desk clerk, and would help out with any problem that the guest might have.

To me they both are valued Assets to Residence Inn.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2007

I booked a small suite at the Residence Inn because my comoany has a discount rate there, and it is close to their RTP office. I found it was very nice, all the comforts I expect from a suite-based hotel. I had 1 minor gripe, I could not get the windows to open.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2007

First off, I only use marriott.com to get the best rates for Marriott properties that include Residence Inn.

I stayed at this location with my 10 year old son for two nights. We were there to see a baseball game at the Durham Bulls stadium which is located no more than 10 min away from this hotel.

The front desk staff were nice and pleasant, I don't neccesarily say that the're most trained and knowledgable about local information, etc which I didn't expect anyways. They quickly accomodated us for a request of a room located on downstairs nearby swimming pool.

The swimming pool with hot tub was a nice social place, got to meet other guest. The entire hotel is non-smoking but some at the pool were smoking which didn't bother me. The pool is good size and the hot tub was very nice. The treat for my 10 year old son was the mini tennis court located next to the pool in court yard. The front desk loaned us rackets and balls for us to play. We play tennis to ourselves as no one else wanted to claim the place. This court is hybrid of full small tennis and a half basketball use.

The room was a standard one bed room studio. Everything was clearn. As a small negative, they didn't furnish a conditioner as I request them to put in. The bottle in the bathroom said only "shampoo" so that's not one of those shampoo/conditioner combos.

The breakfast buffet was so pleasant, attended by a very nice staff. Chick Fill'A is literrally across the street. In fact my son and I walk to get something to eat twice during this stay.

The rate I got was very good and I consider this hotel a great value. I will definately come back here.

Reviewed 27 April 2007

This Residence Inn is just off of Route 55 and Route 54 and a short distance to Interstate 40, convenient for business travel to the RTP area or UNC-Chapel Hill, UNC Raleigh or Duke University parents visiting their children. Security is very good and there's a Chick-Fil-A across the street with home made milk shakes, ahhhh!
If you are out all day with a client or visiting a university, this
rate of $64 includes a generous buffet breakfast and a (light snack) manager's reception in the evening (Mon-Thurs). For dinner, we used the well equipped kitchen facilities to prepare a light meal, which is more than adequate for the two of us. Great for traveling on a budget.
The only problem we encountered was the keys de-magnetizing every day which is quite annoying. We had to go to the front desk every evening to get it re-keyed. Other than that no problems.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2007

This older property (you'll see the signs of age in the counter tops and cabinets) looks to have had a major overhaul with upgraded furniture and bedding. Mattress was comfortable and had newer bedding. Rooms were clean. Doors open to the outside and you'll need to walk outdoors to reach the lobby for breakfast (not so much fun in the rain). Breakfast was good and even the evening reception turned out to have better food than I see at most hotel receptions.

The front desk staff leaves something to be desired. With the exception of one employee, most were just not on the ball. Waits were long while phone calls were fielded. When my room was switched after the first night a fuss was made over moving my hanging items on their ten-for-a-dollar plastic hangers. For god's sake, it was being moved to another one of their rooms.

• Stayed: March 2007