“A bit underwhelming”

Bennett Place Historic Site
Ranked #10 of 81 things to do in Durham
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Considering this is where the South ended the war, I was expecting more. There is a small and nice museum, some exhibits and they have rebuilt the Bennett home. It's interesting to think that 150 years ago this was the epicenter of America... It's free. Hard to complain.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Most folks believe Appomattox signalled the end of the Civil War, but it was in Durham that saw the actual end of the conflict at the Bennett Place farmhouse. A small but efficient museum adds a critical interest before visiting the farmhouse. As with all NC State Museums, this is operated by a mix of state funding and visitor donations and is threatened with closing as 4 other state historic sites (including the Pres. Polk home in Pineville, NC) have already been earmarked for closure. Really needs to be seen by out of state visitors when in the "Research Triangle" neighborhood.

1  Thank expo66
Reviewed 18 March 2013

The last time we visited, all the buildings were closed up. The museum is very nice and I'd give it an "excellent" if they stocked better gift shop items. A local treasure, for sure.

1  Thank Pam C
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Enjoyed the feeling of stepping back into time. The preservation of these buildings is important to keeping our pasts in perspective.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I live in Durham. Locals never visit what is right in their own backyards, and when we do, we are sometimes surprised. I was very impressed with my visit, and learned a lot about the site, the end of the civil war, and a lot about the city I call home! If you visit here, I would also recommend visiting Duke Homestead, which ties into the same era.