“Yum - Soup and panini's”
Review of Toast

Toast
Ranked #35 of 764 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
“Yum - Soup and panini's”
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped in to Toast for the first time this week. We are both glad we did. The soup (lentil and wild mushroom) was out of this world good. We split two different panini's: grilled chicken with roasted sweet peppers and a sausage plus cheese. The chicken was moist and flavorful. The peppers added a touch of sweetness which complimented the sandwich. The sausage was a bit too tame for our tastes. I would recommend that Toast find a bolder sausage for their menu. Our soup and sandwiches were each paired with a red wine. We went with the owners recommendation. Both were a nice compliment to the meal. Seating at Toast is basic. We enjoyed the evening breeze from a street side table out the front door. We'll go back and explore their menu more. Both will be sure to get the soup as a starter. Thanks Toast!

Visited May 2014

Allentown, Pennsylvania
“no wonder there's a line”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We were almost put off by the long line, but I'm glad we waited. And the wait was shorter than I'd expected too. They seem like a well-oiled machine. We all had paninis. I had to try the sausage and broccoli rapa because I'm from near philly. Well, it was flavorful, but no Tony Lukes. My friends enjoyed the sopressata and the spicy tuna, as well as an excellent lentil soup and fresh salad with homemade dressing. Strangely enough, the thing that sticks in my mind were the olives, served warm that we shared as we waited for our sandwiches. Who knew olives could be so delicious and extraordinary??

• Visited April 2014
Austin, Texas
“Delicious, healthy lunch”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The soups (lentil, cauliflower) were so flavorful. Enjoyed the crostini! Affordable and tasty lunch!

Visited January 2014
Durham, North Carolina
“Amother great visit to Toast”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Went with another couple and everyone was happy with their selections. Casual, friendly atmosphere. Many choices, big and small. Both soups and salads were delicious. Make sure to check out specials.

• Visited December 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Consistently fresh, innovative and flavorful cuisine.”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

A small cafe with an Italian approach...high quality, locally sourced (as much as possible) ingredients. It reminds my husband and I of our favorite restaurant in Florence, a small cafe with a hand written menu. The soups are consistently amazing, full of flavor. The other night I had an onion soup gratin with an Italian twist...tomatoes. It was yummy. My husband had the celery root puree with octopus; he didn't want to share. We've also had the lentil soup with cottechino sausage, and cauliflower purée with brown butter, capers, and pine nuts. We love the bruschetta alongside, the chicken liver, the goat cheese and honey and the caponata. Also the open faced sandwiches with white anchovies, the pesto and mozzarella panini. One could go on... Each more wonderful than the next. Also, interesting, delicious and affordable wine selections. Kelly, the co-owner who runs Toast with her husband Billy, the chef, is always friendly and welcoming. This is our go-to special treat for going out for a low key dinner when we are too tired to cook and don't feel like getting dressed up. The prices are right, the food always a treat. True, the tables are simple and the decor somewhat spartan, but we find it clean, comfortable and charming. We come often, but were moved after this particular visit to write a review.

• Visited December 2013