“Dirty. Unpleasant and expensive.”

Extended Stay America - Durham - Research Triangle Park - Hwy 55
Ranked #54 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Haymarket, Virginia
“Dirty. Unpleasant and expensive.”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Having just spent time in Nashville in a very nice hotel for $140 a night complete with whirlpool tub, I expected a lot more from somewhere that normally charges $225 a night, though I got it for $150.

The room was dirty. Stains in the carpet, mould and peeling caulk in the bathroom, some fixtures broken. This is extended stay? Purgatory may be, but not nice.

For the same price in Nashville we got a clean sweet smelling room, whirlpool bathtub and a full cooked breakfast. Here we got nasty, smelly, dirty and "breakfast" was pre-packaged muffins full of synthetic chemicals to make it look a bit like food.

In short, avoid.

Room Tip: Look somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Santa Barbara
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

An utterly awful hotel with broken doors (from previous domestic fights? Drug raids?), backed up plumbing, ratty rooms, vagrant folks everywhere and a general air of despair. The fridge compressor was so loud it sounded like a street cleaner vacuuming in a tunnel, and of course it comes on about 30 times during the night, being triggered by a sensor in the bed which notifies it just when you are getting to sleep. Our car was damaged in the parking lot by wandering zombies (someone lives on the boat up on jacks back there). An utterly dispiriting place where, when the plumbing backs up and starts flooding, sink toilet and bathroom, they shrug and say "sorry we don't have maintenance people here". Also try to get to the minimalistic "breakfast bar" before the vagrants arrive with shopping bags to empty it out.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Pace, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I would really like to give a big Thank you to Atiya, for the great help she did,in helping me with the rates n information there. Our company is going to be worrking in the area for awhile n she was very helpful in getting rates for us. our company is,SPECIALITY FINISHES,from Atlanta,Ga.,I just wanted to say a big Thank You,again. Mr. Clifford Mcswain.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We stayed here 2 nights this past week to visit some friends who live on the north end of town, near Duke University. The hotel was very easy to find, right off the exit ramp from I-40. We were going eastbound on I-40, and the Extended Stay was literally right in front of our face when we got off the exit ramp.

The hotel is kind of old, but we got a very competitive rate when we reserved on-line. Including tax, it was only $76/night. Front office staff was friendly. Room was clean. The range on top of the stove was broken, and the bathroom faucet was leaking, but these were minor issues.

Since this chain is more like a motel than a hotel, there is no housekeeping service. You need to pick up after yourself. Remember to bring a hairdryer, too, since none is provided. They do provide towels, soap, and a mini coffee machine.

We got a room at the back of the hotel, where it was very quiet, with non traffic. We liked that a lot.

The location is very good, it only took us 15 mins to get to Duke Gardens, 20 mins to get to our friends' house, 30 mins to Raleigh where the museums are, and 10 mins to UNC-Chapel Hill where we paid a brief visit.

We would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of one of their 4 buildings. It is away from the street and very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Very pleasant and pleased staff was wonderful and nice the rooms we're very clean and i would recommend them to anyone who would like to stay in a clean environmenton a scale of 1 to 10 they are at 11if you would like to get out for a night and enjoy yourself I would use them.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 1212Nita
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I arrived at this Extended Stay because I got caught in a snowstorm and this was one of the closest hotels. The facility is very simple and the room ("suite" because it has kitchen appliances) was also simple--but everything except for one lamp worked well. The television was excellent and the Internet access was free. The heating was a bit old-fashioned (the thermostat had been disconnected for some reason). But the staff was wonderful--explaining the nature of the services, providing me with a "care package" of food, and sympathizing with my situation!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - Research Triangle Park - Hwy 55, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Jane - I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience at our property. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that my staff offered you excellent service during the severe snow storm going on at that time. I’m also delighted to hear that we were able to assist in keeping you safe during such inclement weather. Your comments are most sincere, and I will be sure to share them with my staff.

Thank you again, and please feel free to contact me if I can assist you with any future reservations.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I was looking for a temporary place to stay kind of longterm (3 weeks) and I usually use Airbnb. I took a chance on the cheapest express deal on Priceline for the area at $22 per night and wound up here. Could not be better. Just off the I-40 right inside Research Triangle Park, it has everything I need. Dropped my water bill, my electric, and my cable bill. Might even find a job right next door so I don't need a car or car insurance. I might live here for the rest of my life. Free wi-fi, and the kitchenette is awesome in this place with a little dining island. The bed is new and firm, and I sleep like a rock because it is quiet. Hot water is set so you can just crank it all the way on and it is just short of steamy. Knocking on Heaven's door.

Room Tip: Don't be alarmed, wi-fi says innflux with many nodes at different signal strength.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Durham - Research Triangle Park - Hwy 55, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
I'm extremely delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and all the amenities we had to offer. I'm also glad that you felt our property was a great value and located in an area that was convenient to your needs. I will definitely share your comments with my staff. They always look forward to feedback from our guests.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.