“Worst Internet Connection”

Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Most of my travel is work related and having a good internet connection is critical. The Durham hotel, while clean and otherwise acceptable, doesn't provide the most crucial service I need. They also don't provide an ethernet based connection to bypass the poor wireless service.
My room was on the 3rd floor and the people in the room above made a tremendous amount of noise just walking around the room. The staff moved me to another room with no problem.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dowatchagotado

Reviewed 22 April 2011

This hotel is weathered and is next to a busy loud highway. Very short drive to Duke University.
There is a dead bug behind the glass in the bathroom picture in room 414. Restaurant was out of bisquits but makes a great omelet.
Two very good dinner restaurants 50 yds away.
This was my third courtyard in 3 days and I was disappointed since I had very good experiences in the prior two (Clemson SC and Blacksburg VA).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SlinkDog
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Our daughter was married nearby and most of our guests (including ourselves) were from out-of-town.
Our guests occupied about 25 rooms over the weekend and the consensus was that the facility was excellent. Some of the rooms had minor problems - but that is to be expected. Some of us stayed 4 or 5 nights.

Most importantly, the staff was superb. They were understanding, helpful, accommodating and exactly what we would expect from a top-notch hotel.

We were treated graciously the entire weekend by all staff members - from the Front Desk to Maintenance. A truly pleasant experience.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel for my 20th Duke class reunion weekend April 8-10. The hotel staff decorated the lobby with Duke streamers and banners, offered a small amenity gift of Hershey kisses at check-in, and hosted a happy hour on Friday afternoon in the lobby for the classes of 1991 and 1981. The rooms were clean and comfortable. This Courtyard also has a nice pool area and a delicious breakfast buffet. There is also hot coffee available throughout the day in a self-serve kiosk in the lobby. The hotel is just a couple of miles away from campus and very close to Duke Hospital.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
tjrog084, Director of Sales at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2011

Thank you very much for your positive review of our property. Being such close proximety to Duke University, it is our pleasure to serve all affiliated with affairs hosted by our hotel with top notch service. We always enjoy Duke Alumni weekend and are already looking forward to next years events. We hope to see you again in the future at another reunion or any event in our area!

Reviewed 1 April 2011

We have stayed here a few times. The front staff is always pleasant and the front lobby is attractive and well maintained. No fenced parking, and I would imagine cars would be broken into from time to time but we were able to park directly in front. Rooms are clean. Hotel and convenient to the Interstate. A little bit of Interstate noise and can hear the people in the rooms next to you. Note that if you are traveling down I-85 S and get off the Hillendale exit, it looks as if you can go straight through the light and turn right into the hotel. Do NOT do this, however, as there is no turn and you will again be traveling down I-85 S

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Dracodad
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Sebastian at the front desk, with the phone ringing and the people piling up managed to keep a smile and people patient while he helped them one by one. He was great and not only had that smile, but, a nice sense of humor also:) Also, I asked for additional coffee's and they brought it to my room within 5 minutes. I've stayed here before and have not been disappointed. Rooms are clean and personnel are friendly. Free Wireless in the rooms (that works well). Easy choice to make to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I travel basically every week and have stayed at this hotel alot over the years including a few renovations. The facility is older but they have managed to keep it clean and inviting which, I can personally say from experience, is not always the case at other hotels.

But the main strength is the staff from housekeeping, management, to the front desk. I've been coming here for more than 5 years and Tony who works the front desk has always been one of the reasons I return. He treats everyone with the utmost respect and has never failed to take care of me and the other guests. Also, Sabastian is a great asset to the Marriott chain. The rest of the staff is just as pleasant and attentive, I just end up seeing these two the most over the years.

The only negative during my last visit was the incredibly slow internet connection. So slow, I had to use my own wireless internet connection.

Final note is the hotel is above average and the staff one of the best I have had the pleasure to meet.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business