“Pleasant 1 night stay”

Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Needed a rest point mid-way between Philadelphia and Atlanta - this hotel hit the spot. Room was clean and comfortable. Check-in and check-out went smoothly. Staff was friendly. Overall a good value for the money.
Workout room/gym was disappointing - old and pedestrian machines - nothing new!

Room Tip: Get a room as far from I-85 as possible!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CharlesA

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Enjoyed my stay here. Really nice Front Desk agents. Clean hotel. Loved the fire pit! Hotel is in great area of restaurants that seems local. Wasn't able to check them out, but they looked nice. Rooms were very clean. Market was stocked with lots of choices. Stayed on the 2nd floor by an elevator per my choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

My husband has regular visits to Duke and we always stay here, to the tune of 30+ days! They are doing really well with staff, service and the Bistro is a life saver after a long day of appointments and procedures. They had some staff issues early on and they are updating rooms slowly. But after the large lobby renovation we gave it another try and are very happy. They even give a medical rate discount. The plaza across the street has been revamped and has some great restaurants. The Blue Olive is our favorite, a Mediterranean gem!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I have stayed at this location frequently over the last couple of years. Choose it because it is close to Duke hospital where work takes me. I travel extensively for work. This Courtyard is adequate but the cleanliness has declined. The last two rooms have absolutely filthy carpet. I always wear socks in hotel rooms and I wish I could post a picture of how dirty these are - disgusting. I showed them twice to staff and even emailed the general manager. No one seems to care. I will probably stay here again for the points but won't put anything on the dirty carpet. This place needs to bring in a cleaning crew.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Faith C
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We arrived early for a wedding in the area and needed to change before the time. So they let us check in when we got there a little after 1pm. Room was nice and clean, beds were fine. After the wedding we came back to relax and change our clothes. All was good. After we walked around and got something to eat we returned to the hotel. Went to bed around midnight or so. Around 2 am it started - the woman beside us cried and moaned for the next few hours nonstop. We figured its 4 am we'll just knock on the door and ask her to quiet down, which she did for a whole ten minutes or so. When we checked out I explained what had happened during the night and was told thats what security is for I should have called the front desk and let them handle the situation. They wouldn't discount the room but did offer reward points which I didn't have a account for so they fixed me up with one. The area is very housey and nice. If your going to visit family this is a good spot. But watch for deals and coupons.
Very Pricey!!

Room Tip: Try asking for a room close to the exits. We were in the middle of the floor with rooms on both side...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I was recently there for seven nights for work. The hotel is conveniently located to everything in Durham/Raleigh area. Across the way there is a small mall that has about four restaurants, a pharmacy and even a UPS store. The room was clean, comfortable and every request was immediately attended to. The bistro concept is wonderful. You pay for breakfast (no freebie here!) but there is a variety of freshly made foods, fruits, yogurt and of course coffee. So much better than the free cardboard breakfasts served in other places. There is an electronic interactive board in the lobby giving you the weather, allowing you to see the various tourists sights and restaurants. In the lobby near the bistro are tables, and booths that have their own TV monitors. Really like the whole atmosphere of the place. Only criticism I have is that the business area should have more than two computers for those who don't want to travel with one.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Durham Duke University/Downtown for one night on Friday, September 6. I was in town for a meeting and this was the hotel selected. My roommate and I were pleasantly surprised. When we arrived, Tim, the Assistant Manager checked us in. He was very friendly and helpful with information about the hotel and what's around here. When I arrived at the room, it was spacious and comfortable. There wasn't a lot of noise and we were facing the pool, which provided a nice view. Since we were on the first level, we had a patio door which was very secure. Also, in the room was a refrigerator, which is always a plus. The double beds were comfortable because my roommate went fast to sleep! The location is perfect because it is close to I-85, but you don't hear the traffic. Just be careful and pay attention for "Front Street" because you can miss the turn. I loved the rubber ducky on the tub! I meant to take it, but I left it for the next guest. The next morning, we stopped by the Bistro for breakfast. The Healthy Start breakfast sandwich (roasted turkey, Havarti cheese, spinach, and egg white on an English muffin) was excellent!! We ordered it to go, waited for a few minutes for it to be prepared and then we were on our way to the meeting. I was surprised when I opened my box that it came with a small fruit cup. Perfect!! Overall, a great stay! I would stay here again. It is close to downtown, Duke, and I-85. I almost forgot - the property has a fire pit. Didn't get to sit outside by it, but would be a nice place to sit and relax on a nice night.

Room Tip: I was in a first floor room and it was quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business