“Rooms Updated”

Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #38 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I brought the extremely dirty carpet to the attention of the general manager last October. I was told it would not be cleaned as the rooms were to be updated. Eight months later those renovations have finally started. I stay here often so the clerk recognized me and placed me in one of the newer rooms. Pleasantly surprised - carpet is new, wallpaper and photos updated, window treatments new. Nice to be in clean environment.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Faith C
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Good Afternoon Faith C.,

Thank you for your review! I am glad we were able to accommodate you in one of our brand new renovated guest rooms! The new carpet, bedding and furniture is a great refresh for us and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know we will see you again in the near future, so if there is anything I can do for you please let me know! I will be happy to help.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife recently had to scheule surgery at Duke Hospital and we stayed at this location due to its convient location to Duke...2-3 miles. When we checked in, the staff was very helpful and provided us with a room upgrade to a suite. The room was great, clean and just outside was their pool had hot tub. Due to Duke's scheduling changes, we had to add a day to our stay and the staff was right there to help us. We need to go back to Duke in 10 days and we've already booked our return stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wayneh850
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Wayneh850,

Thank you for your great review of the Courtyard by Marriott Durham near Duke University. We are happy that our close proximity to Duke University Medical Center was convenient for you. I'm glad we were able to upgrade you to a comfortable spacious suite during your stay as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you during your return trip to Durham, and I hope all goes well with your visits to the medical center.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Thank goodness for Trip Advisor. My family and I are heading to Disney from Maryland and spent the night at this property. This is a nice hotel, but for the optimal experience, there are a few recommendations that you should follow. As this was not a planned top, I literally booked about an hour or so before we checked in, but I did read the reviews so I knew what to ask for:

-courtyard facing room
-top floor

Based on the reviews that I read, I knew that this hotel was literally next to the interstate. Extremely convenient for a road trip, but not the most peaceful, quiet spot for a good night's rest, unless you have a courtyard facing room. The room was lean, comfy and generally quiet.

The young lady that checked us in was very friendly. Southern hospitality was definitely in effect.

While they do have a casual restaurant in the lobby, there is no complimentary breakfast. There is a bar though, which I had never seen in a Courtyard Marriott before.

Overall, nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing, top floor room to avoid noise from the highway.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Silvergirl818

Dear Silvergirl818,

We appreciate your review of the Courtyard Durham near Duke University! I am happy you were able to get a room to meet your requests and you got a peaceful nights rest here. Our Bistro is open daily for breakfast and dinner as well as the full bar from 5pm-10pm daily. I hope you were able to take advantage of it! Hopefully on your way back we will be able to accommodate you again. Safe travels and enjoy your vacation!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This Courtyard has been recently rennovated and is delightful. The staff is warm and accomodating, the rooms were clean and well appointed, and the on-site coffee is by Starbucks. There is a Bistro, but I did not go there-not for any negative reason, just chose to try a couple of downtown Durham restaurants.
I would not really consider this as Duke University/downtown as that indicates to me that both are within walking distance-they are an easy drive, however.
Good place if you are wanting a Marriott level hotel. In fact, I am returning in 2 weeks.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LeeBerger
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Hello LeeBerger,

Thank you for the great review of the Courtyard by Marriott Durham near Duke University. I am so very happy you enjoyed your accommodations and the staff here at our hotel. I'm glad you also enjoyed our recent renovations. We are looking forward to your return visit this month, and should you have any requests for that stay please give me a call and I will be glad to help!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We always stay at Courtyard Marriott's. The outside of this hotel did not look appealing; needs curb appeal work. The inside was great!! We think next time we visit we may try the Hilton Garden near the mall because this Courtyard Marriott didn't have any appealing stores or sites near it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank momo417
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Good Afternoon MoMo417,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and will use it to improve the quality of our facility. We are located just 1 mile from Duke University, one of the major attractions in Durham, NC. We also have some great restaurants within walking distance of our hotel, I hope you were able to enjoy those. Please feel free to contact me for further information regarding area sites or shopping that are convenient to our hotel.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Terrible customer service. Checked into the hotel for an interview. The hotel asked for my credit card. I told them that the room was pre-paid. They said they wanted my card for incidentals. They ended up charging me for the entire room. Call hotel manager over 3 weeks ago- he said he would send a copy of the room bill to me and reverse the charges. He never did either.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank atomicdoug
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear atomicdoug,

I sincerely apologize for the delay in response to your billing issue as we sorted the issue out with the company paying for your room. You should have already received an e-mail with confirmation of the reversal. Please reach out to me should you require further assistance with the billing.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

I frequently travel to Durham for work and stay at the Courtyard Marriott every week that I'm there. The staff really makes the hotel experience for me. They are always friendly and address the guests by first name.

The hotel has a great courtyard with a fire pit, pool, hot tub, and gym. It's a great place to unwind after a long day of travel or work. I can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Tim R, Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Thank you, Tucker H., for your great review of the Courtyard Marriott Durham near Duke University! We are so glad that we are able to provide a relaxing atmosphere here for you. We appreciate you returning to us and look foward to serving you again soon.