“Nice, quiet hotel.”

Ranked #32 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Nice, quiet hotel.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriot and were very happy with our room and service. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room was located down the hallway away from the elevators, so it's nice and quiet. The room is nicely furnished without feeling crowded. The beds are very comfortable and the pillows are wonderful. The room features many electrical outlets in convenient desktop or lamp mounted locations, so charging electronics is easy. There are a few quirks. The air conditioner is very loud and alternates on and off frequently. In order to hear the tv over the AC, you must turn the tv up really loud. When the AC cycles off, it sounds as if the tv is blasting, so you constantly have to adjust the tv volume as the AC cycles on and off. The room comes with a mini fridge, but it does not have a temperature control. Canned sodas on the shelf are frozen while sodas in the door are merely cool. Finally, the bathroom light needs to warm up. When you first turn it on, the room is very dim, but after a few minutes the light achieves full power. If you need to take a shower, turn the light on early so that you can see what you're doing in there. Overall, I'm very happy with the quality of the hotel and the friendly service. I would definitely consider staying here again. The quirks are just that...quirks. They are not deal breakers.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear SES500,

Thank you for staying with the Courtyard Marriott Durham near Duke University! I am thrilled your stay was enjoyable and you found our hotel quite and peaceful for your rest. We take pride in our great service and clean accommodations. I will definitely take note of the few quirks you pointed out and get with my engineering department to hopefully find some answers to these. We hope to see you again in the future in Durham, and please let me know if I can help you with any travels to Durham!

Tim Rogers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Checked in and i got this HUGE bed all to myself.... ohh boy was i happy.
the bed was amazing, i had a good night sleep, it bounced at the right places, just amazing!

Alright location to get some dreams and snack.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear caramal_glo,

I enjoyed reading your review of our hotel! Sounds like you got a great nights rest and enjoyed our Duke University accommodations very much. We hope to see you in the future!

Verona, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott from June 13-20, 2014 in room 308 on a business trip. The service was impeccable and responsive, room was great in terms of cleanliness with no odd smells or questionable rework, outlets were conveniently placed, I didn't hear my neighbors, shower had more than adequate pressure and hot water, towels were not only plentiful but also plush, and the internet was easy to get on and seemed to have adequate bandwidth for fast downloads of emails if not hulu or netscape (didn't try these but had no problems otherwise); food there was very good, and location was very convenient. There are several very good restaurants (Melos Trattoria and Bleu Olive) within short walking distance (across the street) and the location right next to I-85 was very convenient to get to all parts of Duke University (probably 5 min driving). They had a small pool/jacuzzi and workout room next the jacuzzi with several treadmills and free weights. I should also mention that the Duke Urgent care facility is also close (on the other side of the mall where the two restaurants I mentioned are). I would highly recommend this for visitors going to Duke University or nearby establishments.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear flu,

Thank you for your extensive and positive review of the Courtyard Durham near Duke University. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantages of the great amenities we offer (as well as the fabulous restaurants within walking distance of our hotel). We look forward to having you again if you return to Durham and Duke University. Our location seemed to have met your needs and beyond!

Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I brought the extremely dirty carpet to the attention of the general manager last October. I was told it would not be cleaned as the rooms were to be updated. Eight months later those renovations have finally started. I stay here often so the clerk recognized me and placed me in one of the newer rooms. Pleasantly surprised - carpet is new, wallpaper and photos updated, window treatments new. Nice to be in clean environment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Faith C
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Good Afternoon Faith C.,

Thank you for your review! I am glad we were able to accommodate you in one of our brand new renovated guest rooms! The new carpet, bedding and furniture is a great refresh for us and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know we will see you again in the near future, so if there is anything I can do for you please let me know! I will be happy to help.

Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife recently had to scheule surgery at Duke Hospital and we stayed at this location due to its convient location to Duke...2-3 miles. When we checked in, the staff was very helpful and provided us with a room upgrade to a suite. The room was great, clean and just outside was their pool had hot tub. Due to Duke's scheduling changes, we had to add a day to our stay and the staff was right there to help us. We need to go back to Duke in 10 days and we've already booked our return stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank wayneh850
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Wayneh850,

Thank you for your great review of the Courtyard by Marriott Durham near Duke University. We are happy that our close proximity to Duke University Medical Center was convenient for you. I'm glad we were able to upgrade you to a comfortable spacious suite during your stay as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you during your return trip to Durham, and I hope all goes well with your visits to the medical center.

Maryland
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Thank goodness for Trip Advisor. My family and I are heading to Disney from Maryland and spent the night at this property. This is a nice hotel, but for the optimal experience, there are a few recommendations that you should follow. As this was not a planned top, I literally booked about an hour or so before we checked in, but I did read the reviews so I knew what to ask for:

-courtyard facing room
-top floor

Based on the reviews that I read, I knew that this hotel was literally next to the interstate. Extremely convenient for a road trip, but not the most peaceful, quiet spot for a good night's rest, unless you have a courtyard facing room. The room was lean, comfy and generally quiet.

The young lady that checked us in was very friendly. Southern hospitality was definitely in effect.

While they do have a casual restaurant in the lobby, there is no complimentary breakfast. There is a bar though, which I had never seen in a Courtyard Marriott before.

Overall, nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Courtyard facing, top floor room to avoid noise from the highway.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Silvergirl818
Dear Silvergirl818,

We appreciate your review of the Courtyard Durham near Duke University! I am happy you were able to get a room to meet your requests and you got a peaceful nights rest here. Our Bistro is open daily for breakfast and dinner as well as the full bar from 5pm-10pm daily. I hope you were able to take advantage of it! Hopefully on your way back we will be able to accommodate you again. Safe travels and enjoy your vacation!

Franklin, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This Courtyard has been recently rennovated and is delightful. The staff is warm and accomodating, the rooms were clean and well appointed, and the on-site coffee is by Starbucks. There is a Bistro, but I did not go there-not for any negative reason, just chose to try a couple of downtown Durham restaurants.
I would not really consider this as Duke University/downtown as that indicates to me that both are within walking distance-they are an easy drive, however.
Good place if you are wanting a Marriott level hotel. In fact, I am returning in 2 weeks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LeeBerger
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Hello LeeBerger,

Thank you for the great review of the Courtyard by Marriott Durham near Duke University. I am so very happy you enjoyed your accommodations and the staff here at our hotel. I'm glad you also enjoyed our recent renovations. We are looking forward to your return visit this month, and should you have any requests for that stay please give me a call and I will be glad to help!