Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel was very nice and clean. Hotel staff extremely nice and professional. They do have a shuttle that runs through the surrounding area if you need it, but it does not go to the airport. You also have to ask about it as it isn't really advertised for some reason.....not even on the hotel website. The room was very nice and had a lot of good channels on the TV and a mini refrigerator that got really cold. It was great. The only thing I didn't like, and prevented me from giving 5 stars, was the curtains in the room didn't close. There are only those sheer curtains that you could open and close. However, I prefer to have real curtains that close so that 1. no one can see me walking around at night, and 2. So the sun doesn't wake me up before I'm ready to get up. There is a little café in the lobby with snacks and some light entrees, but I was there on a Sunday and it wasn't open. There is a restaurant just across the parking lot (which will deliver to the hotel) if you want some different food options and a few other places just across the street. And they give you a rubber ducky in the bathroom. It was cute and thoughtful. Bed was very comfortable. Free parking. Free internet.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a room facing West so that the sun doesn't wake you up in the morning...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear DUgirl03 ,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review for the Courtyard by Marriott Durham near Duke University. I am excited you were able to enjoy some of our free amenities such as wireless internet, shuttle van to take you to and from Duke University and free parking. I think you are speaking about the "black out" curtains, which we do have. Perhaps they were pushed back too far for you to nice, but please if you do not notice them next time, do call and we will assist you as we do have them for privacy and to block the light out. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This typical Courtyard Marriott offers what one would expect from a Marriott: comfort, service, affordability. What makes this one special, however, has two parts.

The good: First, service was top-notch. I asked a lot of questions, and the front desk staff was always professional and responsive. Ditto for the ladies at the Bistro! Special shout-out to Eric, who seemed to be there both day and night, for helping me with a printer issue, and a coin problem. Secondly, the décor in the lobby was beautiful -- sleek and modern. Really made me want to hang out there and maybe enjoy a drink at the Bistro (which I never got the chance to do). The property is conveniently located to a number of main roadways, so it was easy to get places. As expected, the rooms were clean and smelled fresh. And we were quite content to camp there for a few days.

Things I wish I had known: When we were there, one of the laundry rooms was out of service. I had just called the front desk to ask about washing detergent and how to get coins, but it was never mentioned to me that one of the facilities was not functioning. So, to arrive at what I though was the only laundry room on the property to find a sign on the door indicating it was out of service, and NO mention that there is another laundry room, was a little off-putting. I walked from one end of the hotel to the other then learned that the front desk did not have enough quarters for me to do one load. ($1.50 for a wash, $1.00 for 30 minutes of drying. I had 3 quarters, they were able to scrape together 3 quarters so I could at least wash.) Here's a suggestion: If you have made a deal with a youth baseball organization to house players and families for an event, make sure laundry facilities are working and that you are stocked with quarters. Stinky teenage boy baseball gear is NOT pleasant in a hotel room...

I wish I had known that there would not be a breakfast buffet in the morning. To simply say," You can have breakfast at the Bistro" is not sufficient, when most other Courtyards have buffets. Perhaps I should have been much more specific when I asked about breakfast, but that would have felt a little bit like asking, "Will there be towels in the room?" I had just assumed... The next morning, after spending $35, my boys were fed and on their way to their games.

Overall, I would stay here again, and I will bring my own quarters and bagels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear AZSportyMom,

Thank you for your review of the Courtyard by Marriott Durham near Duke University. We appreciate your feedback and we will definitely use them to improve the experience for all guests. I am happy overall you enjoyed your time in Durham at our hotel and we look forward to having you again in the future should your travels take you here! Thank you and safe travels.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriot and were very happy with our room and service. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Our room was located down the hallway away from the elevators, so it's nice and quiet. The room is nicely furnished without feeling crowded. The beds are very comfortable and the pillows are wonderful. The room features many electrical outlets in convenient desktop or lamp mounted locations, so charging electronics is easy. There are a few quirks. The air conditioner is very loud and alternates on and off frequently. In order to hear the tv over the AC, you must turn the tv up really loud. When the AC cycles off, it sounds as if the tv is blasting, so you constantly have to adjust the tv volume as the AC cycles on and off. The room comes with a mini fridge, but it does not have a temperature control. Canned sodas on the shelf are frozen while sodas in the door are merely cool. Finally, the bathroom light needs to warm up. When you first turn it on, the room is very dim, but after a few minutes the light achieves full power. If you need to take a shower, turn the light on early so that you can see what you're doing in there. Overall, I'm very happy with the quality of the hotel and the friendly service. I would definitely consider staying here again. The quirks are just that...quirks. They are not deal breakers.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear SES500,

Thank you for staying with the Courtyard Marriott Durham near Duke University! I am thrilled your stay was enjoyable and you found our hotel quite and peaceful for your rest. We take pride in our great service and clean accommodations. I will definitely take note of the few quirks you pointed out and get with my engineering department to hopefully find some answers to these. We hope to see you again in the future in Durham, and please let me know if I can help you with any travels to Durham!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Checked in and i got this HUGE bed all to myself.... ohh boy was i happy.
the bed was amazing, i had a good night sleep, it bounced at the right places, just amazing!

Alright location to get some dreams and snack.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Dear caramal_glo,

I enjoyed reading your review of our hotel! Sounds like you got a great nights rest and enjoyed our Duke University accommodations very much. We hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott from June 13-20, 2014 in room 308 on a business trip. The service was impeccable and responsive, room was great in terms of cleanliness with no odd smells or questionable rework, outlets were conveniently placed, I didn't hear my neighbors, shower had more than adequate pressure and hot water, towels were not only plentiful but also plush, and the internet was easy to get on and seemed to have adequate bandwidth for fast downloads of emails if not hulu or netscape (didn't try these but had no problems otherwise); food there was very good, and location was very convenient. There are several very good restaurants (Melos Trattoria and Bleu Olive) within short walking distance (across the street) and the location right next to I-85 was very convenient to get to all parts of Duke University (probably 5 min driving). They had a small pool/jacuzzi and workout room next the jacuzzi with several treadmills and free weights. I should also mention that the Duke Urgent care facility is also close (on the other side of the mall where the two restaurants I mentioned are). I would highly recommend this for visitors going to Duke University or nearby establishments.

Dear flu,

Thank you for your extensive and positive review of the Courtyard Durham near Duke University. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and you were able to take advantages of the great amenities we offer (as well as the fabulous restaurants within walking distance of our hotel). We look forward to having you again if you return to Durham and Duke University. Our location seemed to have met your needs and beyond!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I brought the extremely dirty carpet to the attention of the general manager last October. I was told it would not be cleaned as the rooms were to be updated. Eight months later those renovations have finally started. I stay here often so the clerk recognized me and placed me in one of the newer rooms. Pleasantly surprised - carpet is new, wallpaper and photos updated, window treatments new. Nice to be in clean environment.

1  Thank Faith C
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Good Afternoon Faith C.,

Thank you for your review! I am glad we were able to accommodate you in one of our brand new renovated guest rooms! The new carpet, bedding and furniture is a great refresh for us and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I know we will see you again in the near future, so if there is anything I can do for you please let me know! I will be happy to help.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife recently had to scheule surgery at Duke Hospital and we stayed at this location due to its convient location to Duke...2-3 miles. When we checked in, the staff was very helpful and provided us with a room upgrade to a suite. The room was great, clean and just outside was their pool had hot tub. Due to Duke's scheduling changes, we had to add a day to our stay and the staff was right there to help us. We need to go back to Duke in 10 days and we've already booked our return stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wayneh850
Tim R, General Manager at Courtyard Durham Near Duke University/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Wayneh850,

Thank you for your great review of the Courtyard by Marriott Durham near Duke University. We are happy that our close proximity to Duke University Medical Center was convenient for you. I'm glad we were able to upgrade you to a comfortable spacious suite during your stay as well. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you during your return trip to Durham, and I hope all goes well with your visits to the medical center.