“Cute Durham Option”

The King's Daughters Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed at The King's Daughter's Inn for 4 nights in April 2012. The rooms are beautiful and tastefully decorated. Each room is wonderfully unique. The entire building is charming. I was able to experience two different rooms (per my request, not because of any issues) during my stay. There are great descriptions of the rooms on the inn's website but I wanted more details/advice and they were very helpful when I called them prior to booking my reservation.

The beds were comfortable, the rooms had great tvs, and the bathrooms were nice. One bathroom, however, had a musty smell that is common in older homes. It didn't bother me but may bother people with a sensitive sense of smell.

Parking is in the back and we only had a problem one evening when a political event was taking place at the hotel. That said, there was ample parking on the street. The inn is within walking distance to several great Durham restaurants and Whole Foods. It is directly across from Duke's East Campus.

I had to get to work each morning, so I wasn't able to enjoy the breakfast. I did enjoy the coffee, which was great. There were supposed to be tea or cookies downstairs in the afternoon, but we never saw them during our stay (I was on business and my Mom was hanging out during the day).

This is a cute and charming inn that I recommend to others visiting the Durham-Chapel Hill area and look forward to visiting again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 June 2012

This is a fabulous place to stay! We recently booked several rooms for our family, and everyone loved it. Each room is unique, and the place is really charming, with attention to detail and service. We stayed over graduation, a very busy time, but they made us all feel we are able to relax. There are some beautiful common rooms, a parlor and a sun porch, that are great places to sit and talk or read. It has a very comfortable feeling, with beautiful decor. We also planned a party there, and everyone at the Inn was wonderful in helping to make sure it was a great event. It is right next to the Duke 'East Campus' so very convenient to visiting there, as well as convenient to some good places to eat in Durham. And we all loved the home made cookies they put out! I'm recommending the Inn to all of my friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed one night at this lovely inn, but I wish we could have stayed a few more days to enjoy the peace and quiet as well as the charm of the inn. The innkeepers have done a wonderful job of combining history with modern conveniences, such as an Ipad in each room. We love historic homes and properties and were thrilled to see the beautiful hardwoods combined with original doors and moldings, etc. The breakfast was very good. All in all, it was a wonderful stay. We will return. We typically stay at the Washington-Duke Inn when we are in Durham, which is lovely as well. But, I will choose the King's Daughters Inn from now on. It has a quaint, peaceful feel which a large hotel cannot match. And it was much less expensive than the Washington-Duke.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We requested two beds for our stay as we are one very restless sleeper and one very light sleeper. We're assured for the price of 660 for 3 nights we would have a two room suite with two beds. Upon arrival we are Told there are no rooms with 2 beds but we will have a pull out couch and a bed. Not thrilled. Further, there are no doors on the rooms.
The a/c unit sets only as low as 67 degrees. I managed to open the windows, but n there were not screens and they were fell of webs and bugs (but were not latched, so the previous guest must have done the same).
The breakfast seemed very nice and was included, but we didn't partake as we had other plans each day. Did sample a scone once and it was very good.
I found it inconvenient that there was not a full length mirror in the room and there were only TWO hangers in the closet for two people for a 3 day stay. Also, soap and toiletries were not replaced at all during our stay. The room was poorly lit (supposed to be romantic?) and I had difficulty finding my clothes in the bottom of the closet.
On a positive note, sherry was in the room each night, they cheerfully printed our boarding passes at the front desk, and the common areas were lovely.
All in all, the stay was better than average, but for the price, next time we will try somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012
crc32, Owner at The King's Daughters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate constructive criticism and strive for each guest to have the best experience possible. As we have grown as a business over the past couple of years, we have expanded our staff from only us (the innkeepers) to 8 staff members. A few of these hires have been within the last several months and there is a learning curve for new employees. It seems that our front desk assistant may have tried to be as thorough as possible, but may have missed a few details about your room as she is still learning the ropes, and I apologize for that. We would never intentionally mislead anyone and want to be as explanatory as possible when choosing a room so that your expectations are met when you arrive. As you know, our Inn is quite different with 17 unique rooms and we want our guests to know the color, view and layout of the room before they book. There are descriptions, details, floor plans, and photos of each room on our website as well.

For our heating & air conditioning, you are correct, each room's air conditioner cools down to 67 degrees. As a green hotel, we want everyone to be as comfortable as possible and have found the ideal temperature is between 70 – 72 degrees for most of our guests. We apologize if you were uncomfortable due to temperature in your room. We have supplemental air conditioning units that could have been provided to lower the temperature further if we had known that's what you desired.

Our staff is on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. At check in, we encourage our guests to call the front desk if there is ever a problem. Need more hangers? Need additional towels? Have a shortage on shampoo? Within minutes, we will be at your door with anything you need. We hope that you give us another opportunity to show you that we want to excel in all aspects of the hotel experience. We would love to book you in a different room with different lighting and have you join us for our full, hot breakfast in the morning! Thank you again for your review and we will take your suggestions and improve.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

The King's Daughters Inn is pretty perfect--large, airy, and distinct rooms; a delicious breakfast; and walking distance to lots of restaurants. The Inn was refurbished with attention to history and environmental optimization. It's beautiful--lots of windows, gorgeous furniture, pretty gardens. And the food was great--standard b&b options plus a daily special (baked berry french toast and a veggie omelet while I was there).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I stayed one night at The King's Daughters Inn last weekend as we had tickets to see Wicked at DPAC. What a beautiful B&B! Our room was beautifully decorated. The large TV also served as the monitor for an Apple computer with wireless keyboard. We used the WiFi throughout the premises.

The Queen bed in our room was simply fantastic. We slept great. Firm enough for me, soft enough for her. Perfect and luxuriously comfortable. Breakfast was very, very good with a comprehensive selection and excellent coffee and an assortment of teas.

Deanna seems to be the more gregarious of the owners, but Colin was perfectly pleasant to us and brought our tea service out to their lovely sunroom shortly after our arrival. We talked with Deanna about recommendations for dinner before the show and she turned us on to a great little authentic Mexican restaurant two blocks from DPAC called Dos Perros where we had some amazing lamb enchiladas before the show. Deanna sweet talked reservations for us as they were initially full.

Another reviewer mentioned being too hot in the room, which concerned me a little as I'm hot natured and like to be cool when I sleep. The room was a comfortable 72° when we arrived with all the blinds open. I turned our room thermostat down to 68 before leaving for dinner and Wicked and slept great.

Overall, we had a really wonderful time and will stay in the King's Daughters Inn every chance we get when visiting Durham.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Very cute inn. Rooms are smallish but very nicely decorated. Breakfast is great. however a few issues: 1) hot/cold water mixture in shower highly unpredictable/painful. we commented to front desk and issue was supposedly fixed but problem continued to occur through rest of our 2 day stay. 2) patio/ramp extremely slippery when it rains. needs to be thoroughly cleaned or roughed up so that customers don't go flying on an ice rink. Cute b&b, but at the prices that you are charging during Duke event weekends, experience should be nothing short of the best, which it was not.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dskneau

We're sorry your experience wasn't everything you hoped! We strive for the best guest experience possible. I am sorry your shower had a issue the second night of your stay. We had our maintenance man check it out and he believed he fixed the problem. When it was brought to my attention that it was not fixed successfully, as you checked out, I was happy to refund a large percentage of the cost of your stay.

Regarding the patio, it did indeed get slippery during Reunion Weekend. We have very large oak trees in the backyard, and once a year they "spit" sap on the ground. That happened just as everyone was arriving for the weekend and then it rained! It was slippery for the day until we could have it pressure washed (the next day).

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Inn, your room, and breakfast and am sorry for the issue you experienced. We would love to have you visit again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Durham
21c Museum Hotel Durham
The Durham Hotel
#2 of 71 in Durham
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh / Crabtree Valley
The Siena Hotel, Autograph Collection

Been to The King's Daughters Inn? Share your experiences!