“Fantastic B+B”

The King's Daughters Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The King's Daughters Inn is a treasure. This unique bed and breakfast is absolutely gorgeous, the service is terrific, and the location can't be beat. You can walk to some of Durham's best restaurants, visit Duke University's East Campus, and explore the historic Trinity Park neighborhood during your stay.

My husband and I were married in The King's Daughters Inn parlor, held our wedding reception in the dining room, and spent two nights in the Trinity Suite. The staff did an amazing job that weekend assisting with the wedding, making us comfortable, and seeing to the needs of our guests. It was the perfect venue for our wedding, and I couldn't be happier with our choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The King's Daughters Inn

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Though we were hosting a destination wedding we wanted it to have a welcoming, homey, family feel. From the first minute walked in to the Kings Daughters Inn (KDI) we knew it would provide the perfect "home base" for our weekend. So much so that we rented the entire Inn! I can honestly say this choosing the KDI one of the very best decisions we made throughout the wedding planning process. The Inn is magnificent - both in terms of decor, service and proximity to downtown Durham. Moreover, the management was extremely kind and flexible - letting our very eager families decorate the Inn and really make themselves at home. I cannot say enough great things about KDI and the whole team.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2013

My husband and I made the incredible choice of The King's Daughter's Inn for our wedding weekend last spring. I cannot rave enough about the overall experience that we had. First of all, the Inn is downright beautiful! With our large family and bridal party, we reserved the entire inn for the weekend, so I was able to explore all the rooms and each one is so unique and thoughtfully appointed. The bed and linens were wonderful and I slept like a dream! No pre-wedding jitters keeping me awake.

The common areas are equally functional, comfortable, and stylish. With the help of the amazing events director, Samantha, we hosted a wine reception in the parlor. The dining room serves up a delicious breakfast (included)! My husband and I even had our "first look" moment in the beautiful sunroom and it felt like we were meeting in our dream home.

For those less familiar with the Durham area, the location of the Inn cannot be beat! It's right off Duke campus, set in the historic Trinity Park neighborhood and within walking distance to a plethora of great restaurants and bars.

When we return to Durham, we will be sure to stay at the King's Daughter's Inn not only for the sentimental spot it holds in our hearts, but more importantly because of the superior service, first rate finishes, and glamorous rooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My husband and I feel so blessed to have had The King's Daughter's Inn suggested to us as a reception venue. We followed up on the suggestion, dropped by (at the last minute, and Samantha was so gracious!), and never looked back. Walking into the Inn felt so perfect: Art Deco inspired furnishings, tranquil, unique. We loved the intimacy of the Inn, and the fact that we could offer our wedding guests a place to stay as a treat and a "Thank you" for sharing our joy.

The wedding reception was lovely. The rooms were fabulous. The staff was sweet. Our guests felt so spoiled. We still hear from them about how memorable the experience was!

We love the fact that the Inn is also eco-friendly. Honestly, I'm trying to figure out a way to go back and relax there! Every time I drive by, it makes me smile. The King's Daughters Inn is a Durham gem.

Room Tip: You can peek online at the rooms available and choose which you like the look of. I had fun matching...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2013

attended my nephew's wedding & reception here.it was fabulous from a-z. the staff was very friendly & attentive.the rooms were to die for, & looked like a page from better homes & gardens. i would definetly recommend this b&b.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We had the most Amazing experience at the King's Daughters Inn. I found this place out of pure luck. I was looking for a place to hold my reception for my wedding and was recommended the Inn by Duke Chapel. I called and they put me thru to Samantha who is incredible at planning weddings. I set up an appointment with her and when I walked in to the Inn I was so impressed!!!! It's not your typical B & B since you don't have to share bathrooms. The Inn is huge and beautifully decorated, not to mention the staff is exceptionally nice and they treat you as if they have known you for years. My reception night was beautiful and my wedding party stayed there the whole weekend. I have not stopped receiving compliments from my guests saying how much they loved the King's Daughter's Inn. They complimented how spacious it was but also intimate. Another perk is the breakfast in the morning......it was so Yummy!! My husband and I enjoyed a romantic weekend and feel so blessed to have had our wedding weekend at the Inn. I highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in The Trinity Room and it was gorgeous. Loved the sunroom!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We came up with friends to Durham for a Duke basketball game and decided to treat ourselves overnight at KDI. The inn is interesting in that the rooms are not cookie cutter. We stayed in a room that connected to our friends' room.The furnishings in our rooms were nice, but nothing over the top or very special. Looked like Marshall's Home Goods stores, not fine furniture for the most part. I have certainly stayed in B&B's or small inns with nicer furnishings. Tea time was nonexistent. We went downstairs and nothing was set out. We asked the front desk and were told we could get a cup of tea "in a minute, if we wanted one, and he would see if any scone's were left from breakfast." This was at four o'clock. Did we miss it? He was so hateful, we didn't want to ask. We did find out he was the innkeeper owner-Colin. He had been just as pleasant at check-in. Who had his knickers in such a twist that day? Our room was very warm and we turned the thermostat all the way back. We did open a window and it was okay. No screens in the windows. We asked someone else at the desk for some ice in an ice bucked and some glasses and he looked extremely put out, and we waited about 10 minutes for him to fetch this from the kitchen and hand it to us. The next morning breakfast was good, but again, nothing special. I would have thought we would have had complimentary beverages on the hall along with some sort of snacks and ice. The BLUE DEVILS won so we were pleased, but truthfully, I think we could have had as much fun and spent a lot less over in K-ville! GO DUKE! I'll probably go Past the KDI next time. Sorry, you just didn't meet standards for expectations.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
crc32, Owner at The King's Daughters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

On behalf of The King’s Daughters Inn, we apologize that your stay was not up to par with your expectation. We aspire to have each and every guest feel welcome and comfortable during their stay and it is a shame that our goals were not met during your evening with us.

We believe you and your friends stayed in the Trinity Suite and Saunders Room that connect to one another. We take great pride in our overnight accommodations and worked with a custom furniture company out of High Point, NC to build each piece from scratch. Our interior designer poured over patterns, textures and fabrics to create each individual room perfectly. Many of the items within the room are hand picked from the designer or are antiques. With endless hours of collaboration with the designer and the furniture company, we strived to make each room special, comfortable and unique.

Our afternoon tea is made to order for each individual guest. In the past, we have had a display of tea selections and fresh baked goods. Unfortunately, not many guests indulged. We made the decision to incorporate the tea explanation during the check in process. Tea can be ordered over the phone or at the front desk at any time during your stay. We are happy to provide it in your room or in one of our public spaces. We apologize if this information was not passed along to you during the initial check in process. Calling the reception line for ice is also more than welcome! The staff has a phone on hand at all times, so we are happy to bring anything to your room - though the reservation area does offer complimentary soft drinks, coffee, water and snacks all during the day, so you may want to stop in for a freshly baked cookie or a cool drink. We are happy to help in any way we can to make your stay more enjoyable.

We are so glad the Blue Devils won that evening and the owners are proud alumnae of Duke University Graduate Programs. Colin’s knickers have Blue Devils on them! We look forward to following them in the tournament this year. However, we are not affiliated with the University and try not to “bleed Duke Blue” when we have guests from all over the world staying with us. We would hate to offend a Maryland fan!

We thank you for your feedback and hope you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

The King’s Daughters Inn