“Perfect stay for foodies or a romantic getaway”

The King's Daughters Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
NC
“Perfect stay for foodies or a romantic getaway”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

My husband and I decided to spend our 5th anniversary at the King's Daughters Inn (full disclosure--I won a gift certificate for the stay). We live in Durham and had actually toured it when it was under renovation and being converted into an inn. The owners did an absolutely fantastic job with the renovations and the interior design. It is gorgeous, and they also added some 'green" features that really impressed me. There's a nice mix of historically appropriate decor and crisp modern details. The room included an iPad and a nice digital flat screen tv. The bed is triple-sheeted, translation: extremely clean and luxurious! We had a nice view of Duke East Campus across the street.
We took a pleasant walk through the charming historic neighborhood and down Main St. for a light supper at Toast and drinks at West End Wine Bar. It is also walking distance to many of Durham's foodie hot spots: Bar Mateo, Pizzaria Toro, Toast, Whiskey, Dos Perros, Scratch Bakery, Loaf, the Farmer's Market, Parker & Otis...You could also walk to DPAC but it is a bit far, very close if driving and we noticed they have a zipcar!
Lots of charming/romantic details like luxurious robes, port and chocolate with turndown service, even the old fashioned bell you ring when you arrive. The owner prepares a delicious hot breakfast with full menu, as well as an assortment of cold choices like cereal, fruit, scones, yogurt. The Inn was full on the Monday night we stayed and I noticed a mix of couples, business people, professor types, and a European family with teenage son in tow.
It really was absolutely lovely and I did not want to leave!

Room Tip: Inn is on a corner (faces a somewhat busy st., other street is quiet residential), so request a back...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My husband and I are attorneys in eastern NC and wanted to have an intimate wedding at a special location that was reflective of our personalities. KDI was a pot of gold! Not only was it amazingly gorgeous but the staff was so easy to work with and very helpful throughout the process. The rooms were stunning and the food was delicious. If I could do it all over again, I would not change a single thing. I look forward to celebrating our anniversary each year at the Inn. We highly recommend Kings Daughter's Inn for a uniquely refreshing experience. We promise, you will not regret it! 5+ stars!!

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The King's Daughters Inn is a treasure. This unique bed and breakfast is absolutely gorgeous, the service is terrific, and the location can't be beat. You can walk to some of Durham's best restaurants, visit Duke University's East Campus, and explore the historic Trinity Park neighborhood during your stay.

My husband and I were married in The King's Daughters Inn parlor, held our wedding reception in the dining room, and spent two nights in the Trinity Suite. The staff did an amazing job that weekend assisting with the wedding, making us comfortable, and seeing to the needs of our guests. It was the perfect venue for our wedding, and I couldn't be happier with our choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Though we were hosting a destination wedding we wanted it to have a welcoming, homey, family feel. From the first minute walked in to the Kings Daughters Inn (KDI) we knew it would provide the perfect "home base" for our weekend. So much so that we rented the entire Inn! I can honestly say this choosing the KDI one of the very best decisions we made throughout the wedding planning process. The Inn is magnificent - both in terms of decor, service and proximity to downtown Durham. Moreover, the management was extremely kind and flexible - letting our very eager families decorate the Inn and really make themselves at home. I cannot say enough great things about KDI and the whole team.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2013

My husband and I made the incredible choice of The King's Daughter's Inn for our wedding weekend last spring. I cannot rave enough about the overall experience that we had. First of all, the Inn is downright beautiful! With our large family and bridal party, we reserved the entire inn for the weekend, so I was able to explore all the rooms and each one is so unique and thoughtfully appointed. The bed and linens were wonderful and I slept like a dream! No pre-wedding jitters keeping me awake.

The common areas are equally functional, comfortable, and stylish. With the help of the amazing events director, Samantha, we hosted a wine reception in the parlor. The dining room serves up a delicious breakfast (included)! My husband and I even had our "first look" moment in the beautiful sunroom and it felt like we were meeting in our dream home.

For those less familiar with the Durham area, the location of the Inn cannot be beat! It's right off Duke campus, set in the historic Trinity Park neighborhood and within walking distance to a plethora of great restaurants and bars.

When we return to Durham, we will be sure to stay at the King's Daughter's Inn not only for the sentimental spot it holds in our hearts, but more importantly because of the superior service, first rate finishes, and glamorous rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 March 2013

My husband and I feel so blessed to have had The King's Daughter's Inn suggested to us as a reception venue. We followed up on the suggestion, dropped by (at the last minute, and Samantha was so gracious!), and never looked back. Walking into the Inn felt so perfect: Art Deco inspired furnishings, tranquil, unique. We loved the intimacy of the Inn, and the fact that we could offer our wedding guests a place to stay as a treat and a "Thank you" for sharing our joy.

The wedding reception was lovely. The rooms were fabulous. The staff was sweet. Our guests felt so spoiled. We still hear from them about how memorable the experience was!

We love the fact that the Inn is also eco-friendly. Honestly, I'm trying to figure out a way to go back and relax there! Every time I drive by, it makes me smile. The King's Daughters Inn is a Durham gem.

Room Tip: You can peek online at the rooms available and choose which you like the look of. I had fun matching...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Milford, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 26 March 2013

attended my nephew's wedding & reception here.it was fabulous from a-z. the staff was very friendly & attentive.the rooms were to die for, & looked like a page from better homes & gardens. i would definetly recommend this b&b.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family