“Angels are at work at this place”

The King's Daughters Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Durham B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Picture this: Durham NC is suffering under the throes of one of its worst snow storms in history; the governor has declared a "state of emergency." Cars litter the roadsides. The icy wintry mix, barreling in from the South, has hit three hours earlier than expected. En route from Virginia back home to Johnston County, NC, I am caught driving in the mess, with my disabled husband by my side. "Get off the main roads!" my daughter shrieks via phone. "Stay to the side roads--those are better." And so I follow the direction, headed into parts unknown. We pass by several large hotels. No rooms. With cellphone towers overwhelmed, my Android hiccups and goes silent--along with it goes my voice-activated GPS, my roadmap for salvation. We are lost in what by now has become an almost blinding downpour of snow. In desperation, I pull off in front of someone's house and fumble for my cumbersome, antiquated Garmin. Nearby? How about "All Lodging." What's this? One-half mile away--something called The King's Daughters Inn. Worth a shot. I grab my husband's non-Android, jitterbug-style phone on the off-chance that it might work--and IT DOES. Kindly voice answers the phone; frantic voice (mine) asks about a room. "Sure, we have one here waiting for you--drive safe!" In 41 years of traveling, we have never received a more warm reception, more gracious accommodations, more helpful service. Thanks to a weather-related fluke, the establishment is largely empty this night. Those who had booked rooms for the highly-anticipated Duke-North Carolina basketball game were snowed in elsewhere. We lucked into one of those dear, sweet unoccupied rooms. And how's this for service: Upon learning that the nearby restaurants had closed and that his guests would have no place to dine, one of the owners donned his best Southern-style snowsuit and soldiered off, walking several blocks up the road to grab the last boxes of pizza from the last remaining restaurant. The few guests there--along with the owners and staff--enjoyed pizza, homemade chili, wine, and beer--all on house. I'm not entirely sure when my travels might bring me to Durham again to stay in this blessed place--but I will tell you this: NEVER will I miss a chance to recommend THE KING'S DAUGHTERS INN to anyone headed in that direction. I will treasure that sweet memory as long as I live.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dstclair
There are newer reviews for The King's Daughters Inn

Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was our family's first stay at a bed and breakfast inn. Let me start by saying, KDI has set the bar extremely high! We loved every moment of our experience in this exquisitely decorated inn. The luxurious amenities were numerous and surprising. We were pampered with a fantastic and spacious room filled with conveniences including an IPad and fabulous comforts such as the bed turn down with port wine and chocolates. We were encouraged by the gracious and welcoming owners, Deanna and Colin, and the rest of the awesome staff to treat the inn like home, which was a tremendous treat in such a beautiful setting. The gourmet breakfasts were the best we've ever had. The fresh fruits, homemade baked goods, KDI's special blend of coffee, and the prepared breakfast entrees were spectacular. We can't imagine a better place to ring in the new year and to experience Durham! Thank you KDI!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jodi C
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here to have a night away and enjoy the culinary talents in downtown Durham. To our delight, the King's Daughters Inn lived up to all the rave reviews we read on Trip Advisor. And, they left use chocolates and port in our room!

The KDI is a boutique hotel/B&B. The rooms are gorgeously decorated in a Victorian Art Deco theme, impeccably clean, comfortable with lots of amenities including soft sheets and robes, slippers, an iPad, herbal lotions and soaps, etc.

The breakfast was the best I have had at an inn - family recipe granola, fresh diced fruit, coffee, baked goodies with lemon curd, PLUS a full hot breakfast!

Staff is friendly, accommodating, takes pride in their service and very helpful. The location is great too - across from Duke's East campus and about a 15 min walk to downtown (Main Street) Durham.

Need I say more? GO visit King's Daughters Inn as SOON as you can. We'll go back again and again! Plus, I learned they are opening a sister property in downtown Cary if this location is better.

Room Tip: Loved the Moss Room!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LadyRouge
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Upon arriving to the kings daughters inn, I was greeted by a very pleasant and knowledgable staff. An attendant showed me to my room and all that it offered which included an ipad (every room has these.) Breakfast the next morning had many tastful varieties of freshly prepared breakfast food. The meal is the perfect accompaniment to the great night sleep the comfortable beds provide. Great local returants and bars are well within walking distance through a quaint Durham neighborhood. The Kings Daughters in is a not to miss experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephen F
Reviewed 17 November 2013

An overnight stay at KDI is the ultimate holiday gift to yourself! I stayed in the Tyree room and luxuriated in supersoft sheets, all manner of lotions and potions, and a visual smorgasbord of lovely appointments, while pampered with wide-screen TV and electronics.Breakfast brought an array of granolas and fruits, beverages, and yogurt, followed by personally selected omelet, pumpkin waffles and whipped cream, eggs bacon toast cooked perfectly to order. Owners add a very personal touch. When asked about the shape of KDI when first purchased, I was told the Dukes' (always first quality) gift to the elderly had the strongest steel inner structure. A must for anyone visiting Durham during the holidays or any other time. I was totally restored by this time spent at Kings Daughters Inn. Convenient parking. Right at Duke University's East Campus. Never to be forgotten place!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Sueberry M
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Our stay couldn't have been better. The location is outstanding, with a wonderful view of campus. Our room was spacious, comfortable, and quiet. The Inn has done a great job keeping the historic feel of each room while ensuring that the fixtures and technology are modern and convenient. Service was also outstanding.

But no review would be complete without mentioning the truly great breakfast. There were plenty of hot and cold options to choose from and the quality was above what I would expect from even an upscale dedicated breakfast restaurant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jim S
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We were visiting Durham and we are quite picky B&B travelers. So we were a little concerned about the size and whether it would have the quiet personalization of your typical B&B.

Well, first our expectations were far surpassed. It has the character of a B&B but larger and every detail in every room or hallway showed that a great deal of thought, talent , consideration and gobs of money had been invested in making this a most wonderful experience.

It is lucky there are not more facilities like this or the hotels would go out of business. Needless to say, a real treat!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family