“Two Thumbs Up”

Taste Carolina Gourmet Food Tours
Ranked #1 of 14 Food & Drink in Durham
More attraction details
Owner description: What better way to get to know a place and its people than to eat its food? Tour North Carolina's tastiest and most unique restaurants and shops. You'll go behind the scenes to chat with owners and chefs of the best restaurants in town while sampling their amazing food. Tours make 5-6 stops and along the way, you'll learn about the area's history and architecture. Public tours take place every Saturday. Private and custom tours are available. This is a great way to experience a city and feel like an insider!
Fayetteville, North Carolina
“Two Thumbs Up”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

We attended the Cocktail Hour Saturday tour with our guide Adrian and guide-in-training Maddy. Both were knowledgeable, easy to approach, and friendly. They added to the experience by not only making it interesting between stops, but also by making the entire tour flow. The timing at each location was just right--enough time to enjoy the atmosphere, food, and company.

The owner, Leslie, even visited our tour group at one of the locations to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. Its easy to see that both Leslie, our tour guides, and the restaurant owners are passionate about the city of Durham, the restaurants within it, and creating a first-class experience for everyone attending the tour. It was refreshing to be surrounded by so much passion for food and culture. We definitely recommend the Taste Carolina food tours to anyone looking to learn more about North Carolina cities and cultures, and are looking forward to attending the food tours offered in other cities.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Brian P

Half Moon Bay, California, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Adrian was terrific!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Attended a tour Saturday late afternoon. I was visiting my daughter and thought this would be a fun activity. If you are unsure of whether this is a good option, don't hesitate! Each site made a special item for us and someone from each restaurant or bar talked to our group about what their mission is. We had a terrific time and alot more food than I expected. Adrian, our tour guide was knowledgable and alot of fun. I can't wait to return and try another tour1

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Pat L
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
“Fantastic Food Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

My husband and I had a great time on this walking tour. We had taken the Raleigh tour several years ago and decided to try the Durham tour for our first wedding anniversary. The restaurants we visited were amazing. It's hard to come up with a favorite restaurant that we visited because they were all fantastic with the exception of Whiskey, the bar we ended the tour with. The manager there seemed put-out by our presence and the cocktail they served wasn't very good- we would have thought we would sample whiskey because of the name of the bar but we got the feeling we weren't "worthy." However this was a small blemish on an otherwise wonderful tour. The portions we received were ample and we were grateful for the walks between restaurants to digest and make room for the next plates. I would definitely patronize all the other restaurants we visited again, namely Pizzeria Toro, Alley 21, The Peidmont, and the Cupcake Bar. Overall a fantastic value and a great way to tour the city.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Tinkfly
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I took the tour in downtown Durham. We had such a fantastic time! Our tour guide Elizabeth was so knowledgeable and genuinely excited about all the information she was sharing with us! I grew up in Durham, but felt like I saw so many things through new eyes as if we were visiting a new city! The variety of restaurants we visited as a part of the tour was great. It was also really cool to go "behind-the-scenes" and talk to many of the owners/chefs about their passions and what brought them to Durham to start their businesses. I highly recommend a Taste of Carolina Food Tour for anyone who's looking for a fun way to spend an afternoon "tasting" the local culture. We can't wait to check out the tours of other local cities!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Brynne M
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

What an amazing little experience. Our guide, Gene, was phenomenal. He knows the restaurants very well and the owners seem very appreciative d him and his tour groups. What impressed me the most was hi in depth knowledge of the history of Durham. The tour exceeded my expectations by a mile. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2013