“Very good room, disappointing fitness center”

Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP
Ranked #18 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Kathmandu, Nepal
“Very good room, disappointing fitness center”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Overall my one-night stay at the Hotel Indigo was very good. I was met at the airport as scheduled by the hotel shuttle and a very welcoming driver. Hotel staff was also very good. The room was large and comfortable, with easy access to free wifi. The fitness center, which they spell as fitness, was a huge disappointment. While traveling, I find the hotel fitness center to be critical for me. The center was smallish, with the worst equipment I have seen ("Hotel Fitness" brand), and the only elliptical was broken. This property was booked for me. Unless major changes were made to the fitness, this is not a hotel that I would return to.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
dallas, texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I stayed here for a recent business meeting and thought that it was a great deal for the money. My room was very clean, bed was comfortable, workspace was adequate, bathroom/toiletries were much nice than I expected at the price point. In the past, when coming to this area, I have paid much more and gotten much less. I did not eat my meals at the hotel -- we had business meals except for one night and our group found a little restaurant down the street with small plates and a patio that was lovely. When business brings me back to RTP, I'll be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Samantha M, Director of Sales at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad you took the time out of your busy day to review our hotel. We understand that you have many options of different hotels in the RTP area and love that you would choose our hotel when you return. Thanks again for your kind review. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Director of Sales & Marketing
Alpine, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here during a recent business trip and liked this hotel. It came at a good cost. The staff here was very friendly and helpful.

There is not a lot of close by places to eat and the one next to the Hotel is recently under a new name and I would hope management based on the previous reviews on the establishment.

There is an earlier review on here that talks about the hot water in the showers. Yes, the shower heads are a low flow and the water is not HOT, but if you wait a while, the water does get hot. I take long showers and it finally reached a temperature that was hot enough to turn it cooler. I would suggest turning on the shower all the way to hot, wait 5 minutes and then get in. You should have a good temperature enough to adjust.

There is not a continential breakfast at this hotel that is free. You have to pay unless you have a voucher for the meal. I believe it was 6.99$ for a generic meal. Don't quote me on this, but you can call and confirm with the staff.

I will probably be staying here again, due to the fact that they have a free shuttle to and from the airport and to local areas. The Shuttle is based on a first come first serve basis too.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Samantha M, Sales & Events Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Dear Jason,

Thank you for your kind review. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us on your recent business trip.

You are correct with the cost of the continental breakfast. It is a small fee of $6.99 plus appropriate taxes.

We did have a hot water issue in the past and have fixed the issue. We are still working with plumbers to find out why the water takes a few minutes to heat up and should have this issue fixed completely in the near future.

We look forward to you return sometime soon!

Sales and Events Coordinator
Augusta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

I don't know what to make of this hotel. Décor is strange, breakfast is bland. Take a close look at your bill if you order any drinks, they charged us and extra dollar and staff couldn't tell us why. If they did that to everyone they would make quite a bit of money. Rooms were clean, beds are comfortable, staff is nice, but its a strange hotel. Won't stay there again

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann L
Samantha M, Sales & Events Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Ann,

Thank you for your honest review and please accept our sincerest apologies on your recent stay.

Our hotel is a newer brand and does not have the standard decor of other popular chain hotels. We have a decor to reflect more of an "green" or "earthy" feel. We have hard surface flooring in all our guest rooms to ensure the rooms stay clean and fresh.

It is heart wrenching to read that you were wrongfully charged at the restaurant. I will be sure to discuss this with the Food & Beverage manager. We would like to rectify the situation and would appreciate it if you reached out to the management here at Hotel Indigo RDU @ RTP.

We would love for you to give our hotel another try and look forward to your call.

Thanks again for your honest review.

NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

I love the ambiance of Hotel Indigo. Bright, contemporary design. The vibrant suites colors give the feel as if you are staying a in a friend’s guest room. Hard wood floors. Small carpeted area with love seat and ottoman. ….The front desk representative greeted us with a bottles of water and a choice of chocolate goodies <ooh la la, I’ll take it!>...Glass enclosed showers. Complimentary Aveda products <always make my heart sing>. The bath also included cleansing and beauty make-up towelettes <nice touch!>

Large comfy beds. I thought the head pillows could have been a tad bit larger but they provide you a few extras. Plenty of workspace area with desk. Swivel flatscreen television. No mini-fridge in room if you were looking for that.

Hotel Indigo is a very eco-friendly hotel, similar to the Aloft brand. I found the A/C a little noisier than my liking when turned on. But that could also be by design. The stay was still comfortable without the added coolness.

I didn’t have an opportunity to visit the fitness center. We had an event which I think was in Downtown Durham, and it was about a 15 minute drive away. Doesn’t seem to have a lot of late night food options nearby – fyi for the night owls.

Good stay. Quiet area. Great place for those near the area that may want a quiet getaway or staycation. Looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking out the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Looking forward to your return sometime soon!

Sales and Events Coordinator
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

We were only staying one night and the "differentness" of this place intrigued me. The ambiance made me feel like I stepped onto a tropical island. It was bright, clean and friendly. Next time I'm bringing my swimsuit for the hit tub. The price was comparable with other old cookie cutter hotels nearby.

• Stayed July 2013
NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

With IHG Priorirty Club points, I had my choice of several Raleigh area hotels. Having never stayed in an Indigo, I thought I;d give it a try - it looked like a fun place and was a good location.I liked that fact it was in an office/commercial area - being a holiday, it was quiet. Check in was friendly and accommodating. Our requests had been met and we were recognized as PC members.

The decor is bright, sort of Sino-Floridian( LOL). I guess it is meant to be whimsical but I found it a bit garish. The laminate floors in the room are great for cleanliness but look a bit cheap. Ours was already buckling in places. The sofa in the room as dirty and had a tear. It's so hard to keep things nice - people really are brutal to hotel rooms. I guess it's a reflection on society today - sad. Anyway - the room itself was gloriously large but seemed to have wasted space for a " green" hotel. The sofa area would have been better used with a kitchenette. Funny to call a room an d " junior suite" and not have a fridge.

The light control was odd. There were "master switches" near the door that had to be on before table lamps and outlets would work. You had to just " find" these. Internet was free, but rather slow. View from the top floor was very nice. Room was clean. Bedding was clean and acceptable - except comforter was heavy and did not smell clean- I took it off ( didn't need it).

TV channels were standard - 42 inch TV had great picture quality. In room coffee was good. No tub in the bath - just a shower, but is was large and clean. The wooden Japanese shower stool is quaint but I wasn't thrilled about sitting on it - didn't seem very sanitary to me. Shower head was low-flow and water was luke-warm. Toiletries were great! Spa quality there! Bath was brightly lit and well appointed.

Pool was a joke- hot-tub size. There is a small hot tub adjacent but I did not use- too cramped and screaming kids made me decide on something else. The fitness room was small but equipment looked good. The small restaurant/bar area was deserted when we arrived. There was a cooler ( the type you see in airports) with drinks and snack and pre-wrapped sandwiches. Menus were on the table. The room service menu was in our room - a few interesting selections, but way overpriced. I did not see anyone eating in the restaurant area while I was there, but the hotel was low occupancy due to the holiday.

The best thing this hotel had going for it was the friendly staff, the quiet location, and the bathroom toiletries. Not a bad choice but not a " destination" either. I wouldn't pay full price for the rooms and amenities, but it a clean, quiet, friendly place to sleep if the rate is right.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Samantha M, Sales & Events Coordinator at Hotel Indigo Raleigh Durham Airport at RTP, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear Carl,

On behalf of the management staff, I want to thank you for your loyalty with IHG Rewards Club, previously known as Priority Rewards Club. We value your business and appreciate your honest feedback.

We will address your room concerns with our keepers to ensure we are providing the best kept rooms in town and our engineer to make sure our water is flowing properly. Our restaurant is undergoing a menu change and we are going to see more local food options.

Again, thank you for your review. We hope to be of service to you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,