“Riveting Decor, food so-so”

Cuban Revolution Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #173 of 804 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Documentary regarding Che is fascinating, decor riveting. The food could be so much better! The only traditional food that tastes authentic is a beef stew. The Mojito was good, however, the menu needs an overhaul. They definitely have a starting point, but need to improve on it for sure!

1  Thank 35805Anna

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

My husband, son and I went before a show at the DPAC. We were seated right away and the waiter came over and took our drink order and dinner order. We were given our drinks and that is the last we saw of our waiter. We we out of drinks and when someone else brought our food, they put it down so fast we couldn't tell them we needed drinks. My son ordered steak quesadillas and got chicken. I ordered a cheese sandwich with tomatoes and peppers - no peppers and the end part of the tomato. I finally asked the hostess what happened to our waiter and asked to speak to a manager. When our waiter saw the manager come over he quickly came over and asked what was wrong. I told both about this experience and the manager said "hope your night gets better"! Unreal!! Do yourself a favor and go elsewhere!!!

3  Thank alliekat1
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I was visiting my son in Durham the other day and was in the mood for some Cuban food, so my son checked on his IPhone and we decided on Cuban Revolution. What a big mistake. We got there and we had a bit of a wait but not unusual for a weekend.
When I looked at the menu the first hint should have been the word burrito. Not a Cuban dish but Mexican. The famous Cuban Ropa Vieja on the menu appeared as Ropa Vieja Soup. What?!!!!
Again another hint we should have left the place. I asked the waiter if it would be possible to have the Ropa Vieja (shredded beef cooked in tomatoe sauce) made into Vaca Frita (the same beef fried till it gets crunchy,without tomatoe sauce, in garlic and onions. The waiter said he would ask the chef. The waiter returned saying the chef could make it for me that way so I said great I will have that with black beans and rice and tostones( fried plantains). Well when I got my order the beef was swimming in tomatoe sauce and excessively salty. I refused the so called Vaca Frita and only kept the black beans and rice and plantains. The black beans and rice was basically a very soupy black beans and rice mixed together. This dish was bland, bland, bland.
No Cuban seasoning flavor in any of the dishes the rest of the members of my family had either. We were all very dissappointed in the offerings and didn't leave because we had to be somewhere with time constraints and had already waited too long to get in this place.
If you want Cuban food this is definitely not the place, don't let the name full you. The only Cuban thing you will see in that place is plenty of Cuban revolution propaganda and by the way the prices for everything is very high. Skip this place for your palate's and wallet's sake.

4  Thank Teresa M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

If you are looking for authentic Cuban food, this is not it. I lived in Miami for 12 years and this restaurant does not deliver. Shockingly, there was no palomilla steak on the menu, and there were Mexican dishes fused with the Cuban?! I found it confusing. Service was so fast that it actually made us feel rushed...that's not a good thing when you're out for a romantic night. However, if you want a quick bite with bland flavors in the super cool historic tobacco district, this will fit the bill. Have some drinks with friends and after a couple of (so-so) mojitos you may not care about the food.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

One thing I will tell you right up front is DO NOT try to come here right before a show or ball game. We did but we allowed two hours and this restaurant ate up every bit of that. They do take reservations which most of the other restaurants in the area do not. When we got there the place was pretty empty so we got our drinks pretty quickly. The waitress was very sweet and helped me pick food that's on my low-carb diet. The prices are high for sandwiches and noshes. The kitchen is exceptionally slow but my husband's quesadilla was huge and tasty! My tapas were alright, it was basically coldcuts and cheese with a side salad. This is the second time I've been here, the first time I sat outside and it was very nice. This time we sat inside and as the place filled up, it got very noisy. The bar crowd spilled into the restaurant seating area so you felt a little trapped. The table next to us didn't get any service for quite a while, I saw others just get up and leave. They need to take a look at what is going on as far as service and the kitchen goes. It shouldn't be as slow as it was. We might come here again, it is very convenient, but we have other favorites in the same area.