“0 for 2 at this hotel!”

Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
North Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
“0 for 2 at this hotel!”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I am a Platinum Elite member and always choose to stay at Marriott properties. A few months back I experienced an incident at this hotel where the lock on my door broke. I waited and waited a few hours until finally around 2:00am I was given another room to sleep in. The following morning I was able to return to my room to get my belongings. These things happen and I let it go. My main complaint was the service at this establishment.

This week, I was in town on business again. A few colleagues all stayed here and I booked the same hotel as well (not remembering that this was the location of my previous nightmare experience). Each day my key stopped working so I needed to return down to the lobby and reactivate my key. I am aware that cell phones or other electronics may corrupt the magnetic strip so I make sure to keep my keys away from electronics. Also, the lock on the door to my room would constantly get stuck.. something obviously was wrong with the door since one afternoon when I returned the door was still open from housekeeping.

Wed. night upon returning to my room there was a notice about "testing" the fire alarms during the following afternoon. 3:30am the fire alarm goes off. Fire dept. finally shows up after 4:00am and eventually we are allowed to return to our rooms. I don't know if someone pulled it or if there were problems with the alarms. Just found it to be an odd coincidence. No apology or anything from the staff. Actually, the staff did not even evacuate the facility.

While at the hotel the other evening I overheard one of the kitchen staff members yell at a guest for taking a glass plate rather than use a plastic one which the guest did not see.

I don't know, I just feel that the service in this hotel really needs some improvement. With the exception of the young lady working at the bar, everyone I have dealt with is more on the rude side. I most certainly will not be returning to this hotel again. I hope others do not have the same experiences as I have had.

Room Tip: At least the TV's let you change the input - also the free on demand is a nice feature as well.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Gregg J
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Hello Gregg J,

I would first like to apologize for the unfriendly and rude service you received from our employees. That is absolutely unacceptable and I sincerely apologize. Your remarks will be shared with all the staff members.

As for the key issues, I apologize for that as well. Electronic locks can be difficult, but the number of issues you have encountered are in no way normal.

Finally, I wanted to respond to the fire alarm. The letter you received was for a test on the fire sprinkler system that was done the next day. It was a coincidence that the alarm went off in the middle of the night. The licensed alarm company that services our system came to the property the next morning and found nothing wrong with the detector that caused the alarm to go off. They fully believe that the alarm was caused by one of our guests.

As for evecuation, that function, if necessary is to be done by the Fire Company. Our staff members are all assigned various functions and locations to report to. In the middle of the night, we have very few employees here. The night auditor is under strict orders to remain at the front desk and answer all phone calls, of which there are many. The next morning, the desk clerk and I apologized to virtually every one we spoke to for the inconvenience. I am sorry that we missed apologizing to you. Please understand though that the fire alarms must be sensitive as our guests and employees safety is our absolute first concern. We understand the inconvenience caused by the alarm going off in the middle of the night and we are sorry for that. But the safety concerns of a properly working system, which our system is, is even more important .

I truly am sorry we did not take better care of you and hope this will not tarnish your view of Marriott as a whole.

Ted Franzese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Royal Oak
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights to tour local colleges. The location is excellent, and there are plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance. The breakfast was very good, but ends quite early (9am). We enjoy Springhill Suites, as it gives our family more room to spread out. The only negative comment I have is that the whirlpool looked a little murky, but the folks using the whirlpool seemed to enjoy. Top notch fitness equipment.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello fivetotravel,

I would like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind review. Both are greatly appreciated. I do apologize for the spa issue and am glad that your stay overall was such a positive one. I hope you will come back and stay with us again soon.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The staff were courteous and the hotel was clean and neat, but we hate the room design at this hotel. The guest rooms have a two separate bathroom areas, one with toilet and small hand-washing sink, and the other with larger sink and tub/shower. Both rooms have frosted glass sliding doors and open directly into the room with the beds - just opposite the foot of each bed. The design affords much less privacy than most American hotel bathrooms, and if someone uses the bathroom during the night, the light through the glass doors can wake a companion. The room design doesn't work at all well for light sleepers or the very modest.

The included breakfast was just middle of the pack. There were a variety of items, but the main failing was the lack of any unsweetened cold cereal choices. There were Honey-Nut Cheerios, Froot Loops, and Kashi Heart to Heart. All of those are much sweeter than alternatives such as plain Cheerios, corn flakes, Cripix, Special K, or most Chex cereals. Also, all of the yogurt choices were sweetened, with no plain yogurt available.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JT S
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello JT S,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I also appreciate the kind words regarding our staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. As for the design, I accept that it is indeed different than the normal hotel room. Truthfully, we find most people like the design. With that said, there are others like yourselves, that simply are not comfortable with it. As a result we understand we are not everyone's hotel of choice.

I truly am sorry you did not enjoy your stay more and hope that the SpringHill design did not lessen your loyalty to the Marriott brand.

Cockeysville, Maryland
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Recently did some college tours in the area and this was a great place to stay! So close to the colleges we visited. We were 30 min. from Elon University and a mere 10-15 minutes from UNC Chapel Hill and Duke. It was modern, clean and the room was very spacious. The staff was SO friendly. Complimentary breakfast was excellent. When we arrived, there was a late afternoon buffet out that was great. It was also very close to shops and eateries. I would highly recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: The rooms with the sofa provided a large desk to work at and an ample L shaped sofa making the room...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Hello DonnaZ597,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a flattering review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I would especially like to thank you for the kind comments regarding our friendly staff and excellent breakfast. I hope you will come back to see us again soon and we appreciate your business as well as your recommendation.

Frankfort, Michigan
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

Suites are modern, spacious and very clean. Free breakfast buffet is the best we've seen in this reasonable price range.

Perfectly situated for easy access to downtown Chapel Hill and Durham, as well as being an easy hop onto I 40 to go to Research Triangle Park and Raleigh.

We'll be back!

Stayed May 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hello JQF,

Thank you for the kind review, it is greatly appreciated. I especially enjoyed reading your remarks regarding the cleanliness and the quality of breakfast. I will be sure to share your remarks with our staff. I hope you will come see us again soon and we thank you for your business.

Maryland
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights here to visit family. Very reasonable rates. Very clean. Breakfast was good and included. A little busy the second morning but the staff kept up with all but the coffee (need a larger coffee dispenser or else two of regular coffee). Front desk staff was friendly upon arrival -- did see the desk staff on Sunday morning "eating" their breakfast at desk -- not quite professional.
The room was definitely different -- advertised as "green" and rightfully so. It is not your traditional décor but rather more modern. Ample space. It was peculiar to have the toilet in a separate room with a tiny sink apart from the shower with a larger sink. May consider putting some counter space near the tiny sink so that it is more usable than just washing hands. Sliding doors for both bath areas. Bed was comfortable, nice amenities (frig, coffee maker, lounge area). I was awakened one night by toilets flushing. The only issue which is why we give it a 4 instead of 5 is that the lighting was not very strong (probably "green" though). There are telescope lights at each side of bed for reading but not emitting enough light - had to move the book side to side to read clearly. Given that we are of the older generation -- would have liked the lighting stronger even throughout the room.
Would probably not stay again-- prefer the more traditional décor -- just our taste.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hello Sunnyonemaryland,

I would like to sincerely thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We accept all feedback, both positive and negative in an effort to improve our service to our guests. Your feedback regarding the front desk clerk has already been addressed and hopefully will not happen again. As for the room design, it certainly is not traditional and we understand that it does not appeal to everyone. Regardless, we're glad your stay overall was a positive one and I hope you will reconsider and stay with us again. Thank You!!

Westchester, NY
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We frequently visit Durham. We have stayed at the Springhill suites so many times that it feels like home. The rooms are spotless and the staff friendly and helpful. If I could give the hotel more stars I would. Congratulations to the management and staff for providing an excellent and comfortable stay for our family so consistently. We'll see you soon!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello Nandy5,

Thank you for staying with us once again and as always we're glad you enjoyed your stay. I would also like to thank you for your kind review. It's great to see phrases like feels like home, friendly staff and spotless rooms. That is certainly our goal with all of our guests. Come see us again soon.