“Great Hotel - close to almost everything”

SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill
Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My family and I stayed at this hotel during June 2014. The rooms were clean and the staff very friendly. It was also close to many restaurants. We had an appointment at Duke University, and were pleased to find that it was only about 7 minutes away. The free breakfast was good. I was sad to find out that they only bring out the waffle and pancake machine on the weekends and very rarely during the week. If it was there all of the time I would have given 5 stars.

Room Tip: During our stay, we visited the "wet & wild" water park in Greensboro, which was great...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul H
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello Paul H,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a kind review. I especially appreciated the comments regarding our clean rooms and very friendly staff. As for the weekday pancakes and waffles, they are not part of the breakfast program that SpringHill Suites as a brand has set up. Perhaps that will change in the future, but for now the brand does not recommend it.

I would also like to thank you for your business and hope that you will stay with us again should you return to our area.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The hotel uses bleach (kudos) in the laundry, supplies very comfy bedding, glad to have a workout room. Lots of fresh fruit at breakfast for these fussy eaters. Would have liked to give more stars. However, placing the bathroom behind glazed sliding glass at the foot of the bed...very weird and offers no privacy. I would stay here again in future only if traveling alone. But that is personal preference. Super convenient location. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JackBlack1952
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Hello JackBlack1952,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit your review. I also thank you for the many kind comments throughout your review. They are most appreciated. As for the bathroom door, I completely understand your feelings. Most guests love our room design, however there are many others like yourself who would perhaps prefer a more traditional design, particularly the bathroom area. I assure you your comments are read by our Senior Management staff and Ownership group and are taken very seriously. I again thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again, even if it's just when you are traveling alone.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed there at the SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill in June, had to have a procedure done at Duke University Medical Center. My oxygen had not arrived and I was kind of worried your manager Josh helped me out and called Apria for me and my oxygen arrived within a few hours! The Breakfast was complimentary and taste wonderful!!! The other employees were also great!! I love this SpringHill!!

• Stayed: June 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Hello Ronahay,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write such a kind review. I greatly appreciate your comments regarding Josh and the rest of the staff as well as our breakfast. I will certainly share your comments with them. I am truly glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you again soon.

Ted Fanzese

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I booked a block of rooms for a school trip we took with 40 of our 9th graders. Traveling with teenagers isn't easy, but Laura with group sales made it seamless. Our rooms and keys were ready, the staff was so friendly, and the breakfast was easy to work around! We plan on coming back next year, for sure!

1  Thank Rebekah P
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hello Rebekah P,

Thank you for bringing your group to our hotel and for taking the time to submit a review. Both are greatly appreciated. I also would like to thank you for the kind remarks regarding our staff, breakfast and Laura in particular. I will certainly share your comments with her and the rest of the staff. It was great to read that you would stay here again. Thiat is certainly our goal with all of our guests. Thanks again!!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I hosted a training event at the hotel over the weekend. The space was bright and provided the "wow" factor I was looking for. The meals that were catered by the hotel were phenomenal! I hope they keep using this caterer for their events. Many of the attendees stayed at the hotel, and we all enjoyed the breakfast bar. There were so many choices and once again the food did not disappoint. In the training space, we were able to control the temperature of the room, which I thought was a bonus...usually you just freeze, but it was nice to turn it up a degree or two. The hotel staff locked the room up each night for us, so we could leave some items in the room for the following day. There was some confusion about this request at first, but finally the man working the desk at midnight came over and locked it up. The second night he was much faster, as he realized I was going to wait until it was locked just to make sure it was done. I will definitely look into using this hotel again for training events.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Hello Suzanne C,

Thank you for taking the time to submit such a kind review and I'm glad your conference was so successful. I will certainly share your comments with Laura and the rest of the staff. I would like to apologize for the delay in locking up your room and will share that with the staff as well.

It was great to see that you would use us again when the need arises. That is certainly our goal with all of our guests. Thanks again!!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was our first visit to this property and we absolutely love it. The first impression was made by Junous (not sure on the spelling), he is an exceptional front desk agent. We arrived before check in time and he graciously accommodated my family. He was professional and yet very friendly. We loved our suite. It was clean and contemporary. Rarely do I stay in a hotel and have engaging conversation by Room Attendants. The breakfast was superb. We look forward to staying here again. For this property to be four years old, it is well maintained!

Room Tip: For those who complain about elevators, I never heard it once the entire weekend.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hello Smilingjackson,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a flattering review. Your business as well as your comments are both greatly appreciated. I will be sharing your remarks with Junious and the rest of the staff. I'm truly glad you had such a pleasureable stay with us. Come see us again soon. Thank You!!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I am a Platinum Elite member and always choose to stay at Marriott properties. A few months back I experienced an incident at this hotel where the lock on my door broke. I waited and waited a few hours until finally around 2:00am I was given another room to sleep in. The following morning I was able to return to my room to get my belongings. These things happen and I let it go. My main complaint was the service at this establishment.

This week, I was in town on business again. A few colleagues all stayed here and I booked the same hotel as well (not remembering that this was the location of my previous nightmare experience). Each day my key stopped working so I needed to return down to the lobby and reactivate my key. I am aware that cell phones or other electronics may corrupt the magnetic strip so I make sure to keep my keys away from electronics. Also, the lock on the door to my room would constantly get stuck.. something obviously was wrong with the door since one afternoon when I returned the door was still open from housekeeping.

Wed. night upon returning to my room there was a notice about "testing" the fire alarms during the following afternoon. 3:30am the fire alarm goes off. Fire dept. finally shows up after 4:00am and eventually we are allowed to return to our rooms. I don't know if someone pulled it or if there were problems with the alarms. Just found it to be an odd coincidence. No apology or anything from the staff. Actually, the staff did not even evacuate the facility.

While at the hotel the other evening I overheard one of the kitchen staff members yell at a guest for taking a glass plate rather than use a plastic one which the guest did not see.

I don't know, I just feel that the service in this hotel really needs some improvement. With the exception of the young lady working at the bar, everyone I have dealt with is more on the rude side. I most certainly will not be returning to this hotel again. I hope others do not have the same experiences as I have had.

Room Tip: At least the TV's let you change the input - also the free on demand is a nice feature as well.
2  Thank Gregg J
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Hello Gregg J,

I would first like to apologize for the unfriendly and rude service you received from our employees. That is absolutely unacceptable and I sincerely apologize. Your remarks will be shared with all the staff members.

As for the key issues, I apologize for that as well. Electronic locks can be difficult, but the number of issues you have encountered are in no way normal.

Finally, I wanted to respond to the fire alarm. The letter you received was for a test on the fire sprinkler system that was done the next day. It was a coincidence that the alarm went off in the middle of the night. The licensed alarm company that services our system came to the property the next morning and found nothing wrong with the detector that caused the alarm to go off. They fully believe that the alarm was caused by one of our guests.

As for evecuation, that function, if necessary is to be done by the Fire Company. Our staff members are all assigned various functions and locations to report to. In the middle of the night, we have very few employees here. The night auditor is under strict orders to remain at the front desk and answer all phone calls, of which there are many. The next morning, the desk clerk and I apologized to virtually every one we spoke to for the inconvenience. I am sorry that we missed apologizing to you. Please understand though that the fire alarms must be sensitive as our guests and employees safety is our absolute first concern. We understand the inconvenience caused by the alarm going off in the middle of the night and we are sorry for that. But the safety concerns of a properly working system, which our system is, is even more important .

I truly am sorry we did not take better care of you and hope this will not tarnish your view of Marriott as a whole.