“Great Stay!”

Ranked #2 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Stay!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I was extremely surprised when I entered the room, the set up was amazing. This Springshill has put to shame some Courtyards and Marriott at bigger cities. If I am in the area again, I will make this place a home away from home again.

• Stayed August 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hello Rlmorganjr,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit such a kind review. Both are greatly appreciated. We are truly glad you enjoyed your suite and hope that you will come see us again soon.

Ted Franzese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Yum yum... super friendly stafff. Very clean. Make new friends in the lobby! The plans for the future grounds look awesome. Cant wait to come back! Mostly because of Ericka - because she is amazing!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hello Kayla B,

I am sorry to inform you that your review did not go to the new property located in Cary. However, that hotel is under the same ownership as ours and I will be happy to relay your comments about Ericka to the hotel's General Manager. Thank you for staying at the SpringHill Suites. It is appreciated.

SpringHill Suites Durham/Chapel Hill
CT
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

While the suite we reserved was comfortable ( 2 queen beds and a fold out couch sitting area) and the hotel appeared freshly decorated, there were some disappointments. Since responding to a survey from the hotel I have been contacted by the manager re some of this issues. Sadly, some of those issues were explained away by informing me that a recent change to the Marriott family resulted in loss of perks?? I was a Marriott Rewards member for years but drifted away because of disappointment with the chain such charging a la carte for perks automatically included at other hotels. Part of the reason I decided to try a Marriott again was because the Springhill suites still,offered free parking and breakfast.
Some issues: our large suite was designed to sleep 5 people yet we only got 3 bath towels each day. When my sister went to the front desk one evening to request more towels she felt as though she was putting the staff out.
BTW, the front desk was woefully understaffed with only on person resulting in waits to check in, pay for Market items, request room towels or pool towels.
On our first night we gave up on using the hot tub and pool as it was crowded and there were only 6 chairs in the pool room. How is that adequate? Since it was raining the overflow couldn't make use of the outside seating area.
In the second night we waited until 10 pm when the room emptied out. It was obvious that no one was assigned to maintain the pool area as there were wet towels overflowing the small return basket with the remainders strewn in the floor and over every chair. It would be nice if guests at least cleaned up after themselves, but the appearance of this room made it apparent that no staff had been in there for a long while. When we got into the hot tub we found it to be lukewarm with no way to adjust the temp. A visit to the front desk - and the usual wait- resulted in being told that the engineer on duty was no linger in to rectify the problem. The manager has since confirmed that he does, in fact, leave at 10 pm. Does that mean that he left without checking on the pool and hot tub? If he had checked before leaving he would have realized the hot tub was losing temp for some reason.
This is minor, perhaps, especially if you are not a coffee drinker, but I was disappointed to find out that there is no 24 hour coffee in the lobby even though in-room brochures advertise it. The woman at the desk explained that 24 hours meant an in-room coffee maker. I hate powdered creamer so she was nice enough to get me some creamers. But a coffee maker that makes one mug of coffee is a bit silly in a room that sleeps 5. We also had to take turns using the 2 mugs provided. There were no disposable hot cups. The manager contacted me to explain that, now that they are a Marriott they are 'not required' to provide 24 hour coffee in the lobby. Sad. Therein lies the reason that I drifted away from Marriott-withdrawal of complementary amenities.
In summary, Springhill has bee refurbished and looks really nice- but it needs to work on the quality of its amenities and service.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Shaps2
Hello Shaps2,

I would first like to apologize that your stay with us was not a more pleasant one. When our guests are not provided with the quality of stay they expect, we at least try to make proper ammends. I believe we have done so.

The lack of cleanliness at the pool should indeed not have happened and that has been thoroughly discussed since your stay with us. I again apologize for that and understand your disappointment. As for the temperature of the pool and spa, they are checked daily. The spa is kept at 102 degrees. I can not say for certain what the temperature was when you entered the spa but as a general rule we find very little fluctuation from the 102 degree level. Note the Health Department will actually close our pool down if they find the temperature above 104 degrees. That is noted on the pool signage.

The 24 hour coffee service has been ended as we repeatedly found the coffee to be cold and stale by mid-afternoon. We found there to be very little demand for it. I am sorry that not all the literature regarding the coffee service had yet been removed. In conclusion, I again apologize for the quality of your stay and hope that will not prevent you from using the Marriott chain in the future.

Marion
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family and I stayed At the Marriott Springhill Suites in Durham North Carolina, for 3 months this summer. While our newborn twins were in the neonatal intensive care unit at UNC Chapel Hill.

The hotel manager Ted Franzese and his entire staff were amazing throughout our entire stay. They were all very supportive during our very trying time in life, often asking about the well being of the twins and were very accommodating with each and every request during our stay.

The kindness demonstrated by Ted and his staff allowed us to feel that we had a home away from home.
A comfortable clean upbeat nicely kept place to return to after a long day at the hospital.

One twin is now home and the other is getting stronger. Hopefully our family will all soon be together back in Illinois. We will always look back upon our time at the Durham Springhill Suite with great fondness and will be sure to stay there when we return to visit the many friends we have made over our summer of 2014 at the Marriott Springhill Suites in Raleigh Durham NC

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank TedVanAcker1
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello Mr. VanAcker,

Thank you for the very kind review. When I am asked what is the favorite part of my job I always respond "it's the truly special people you meet that appreciate what we try to provide". You and your family are certainly among the most special people I have had the opportunity to meet over the years. Your warmth and kindness are appreciated by myself and the rest of our staff.

Our thoughts and prayers remain with the health of the twins and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future. We hope when you return it is for reasons other than the health of your family. Thank You again Mr. VanAcker. You are always welcome here.

Tupelo, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stayed here for two separate work weeks and the rooms were quiet, clean, and comfortable. They were also very large and the separate work space from sleep space was nice for a week long work trip. The breakfast Buffett usually was out of eggs by the time I got there at 7:40 and it took a bit to restock. Other than that the coffee and other items were tasty. It would be nice to have coffee either all day or in the early afternoon. The snacks for purchase were expensive. The pool and whirlpool area was clean and not crowded.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Hello Jessica B,

I would first like to thank you for the kind review and the many positive comments. I do apologize that the eggs were not replenished as quickly as they should have been. That should not have happened. As for the coffee, it does indeed end at the conclusion of breakfast. That was done because afternoon coffee was not in high demand and often was not fresh or hot by the time it was consumed. With that said, we can often make a fresh pot when one of our gets ask for it. I do hope you will come back to see us. If you do, I promise you a fresh pot of afternoon coffee. Thank You Jessica B.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Husband and I stayed here for one night on July 25. The service was outstanding! Neisha checked us in and Purnell checked us out both were the utmost professional! Kenyetta helped with our check in nod made it smooth! Beautifully landscaped, rooms were extraordinary and spacious and plush, lounge areas quite lovely contemporary "Art Deco-ish" we will definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2014
SHSD, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Durham Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello Kelly and Harry,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to submit a review. Unfortunately, the property you stayed at was not ours. I have shared your comments with Kenyetta, the General Manager of that property in Cary, as they are a sister property of ours with the same ownership group. I again thank you and hope you will return either to our property, the SpringHill Suites Durham/Chapel Hill or our new hotel, the SpringHill Suites in Cary.

SpringHill Suites Durham/Chapel Hill
Indianapolis
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My family - two teenagers, husband, and I - traveled from Indiana to Chapel Hill to visit UNC. We arrived late because we flew into Charlotte and had to drive over, so we didn't get to spend a lot of time at the hotel.

The room was a nice size - Springhills are great for a family of four - no need to get a second room. We loved how there was a separate toilet and sink area and a sink and shower area. This makes getting ready in the morning much easier with a family.

The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. We didn't hear any noise from the other rooms or hallways, so this is always a plus.

The breakfast area is a little small if there are a lot of people at the hotel. There was a nice selection of breads and baked goods, some eggs, sausage, fruit, oatmeal, and yogurt. There was enough to get us started for the day.

I will definitely stay in the future if we return to campus. The only odd thing is the parking situation - there is not a lot of parking in the front or sides near to the building. The hotel is built into a shopping/professional area, so we had to park near to some shops because we arrived late. There is a Five Guys, Moe's, and other options for easy to get to food options.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello disney lunatic,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to submit a review. I greatly appreciate your kind remarks and was happy to see that you would stay with us again. I found your remarks about the parking to be very fair. Because we share the center with many other businesses, late arrivals often do have to park a little further away and for that I do apologize. I hope you will come see us again soon. Thank You!!