“Pleased UNC Traveler” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Concord, North Carolina
“Pleased UNC Traveler”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

I traveled with my husband and son and daughter to Chapel Hill to visit the University of North Carolina. My daughter will be attending college in the fall of 2011 and we have been visiting various campuses all summer so she can make the right decision on where she wants to go. She expects to get a soccer scholarship and is serioulsy considering UNC. With this said, we will be traveling back to Chapel Hill often, and will need a reliable, safe and comfortable hotel to call our second home. We looked on the marriott website and found this new hotel, located between Chapel Hill and Durham. Because I like to talk to a person, I called the hotel to see how far away they were from the campus. I told them I was visiting the UNC campus and they immediately responded ...we are only 4 miles from that campus and we get a lot of families that stay here. And we offer a special rate for anyone visiting UNC..... that caught my attention and they offered me a significant discount to choose them as our hotel for the 2 nights we were visiting. They said they are new and want to get people to try them out. I thought this was impressive that a front desk clerk would try to sell me on their hotel, and not just answer the phone and answer my questions. I made my reservation and was completely satisfied with my stay. My daughter is excited about coming back to the campus and we are happy about coming back to this hotel. The rooms were spacious and comfortable and I liked having the shopping nearby. We will be back in the spring.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Topsail Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

My husband and I travel often and always like to stay at Marriot hotels wherever we go, when possible. I loved the new look of this hotel, they opened in May, I think. I was greeted by a young lady at the front desk with a nice smile. It is not always that you walk into a hotel and get the "feeling that they care you are there". The breakfast was just enough to satisfy almost every taste, with a combination of cereals, oatmeal, grain waffles (we loved these) and scrambled eggs and sausage. I didn't know that Springhill served a hot breakfast as well, this must be new. I enjoyed the indoor pool and hot tub. THe hotel was a little tough to find since it is so new it did not register in my GPS. I would recommend this hotel to friends and family as well as business associates. It is a contemporary like hotel and suits any type of traveler in my opinion. The service will keep us coming back as regulars.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daullhouse
Groningen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

We stayed her with a family of 5 (three kids) for three nights and really enjoyed this hotel. It is brand new (opening was 7 weeks ago) and the interior is very modern and efficient. The man at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful. Our room was very spacious and comfortable (we easily stayed there with the five of us). The beds were wonderful. Free wireless internet is super fast! The only thing that could be improved is the addition of a towel rack in the bathroom (there was no place to hang your damp towels). Other than that, this is a very nice, clean and comfortable hotel. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location. We stayed at the hotle for a week while my child attended a camp at UNC. This was the 6th week the hotel was open and they have a long way to go.
Staff: Did not seem to care, once you check in the "kindness" goes out the window. On the weekend there was only one hotel woker trying to do it all and NO maintenance. They bordered on rude. The cleaning staff for the rooms did an ok job, hard to communicate with them. Often times they did not leave things we needed like glasses, lines for pull out and shampoo. Breakfast staff was overwhelmend. Very poor planning. While we were there they ran out of coffee cup and we didnt have milk for 2 days. No milk for breakfast.

Rooms: We had a wonderful room and it is exactly what we needed. We were told when we made reservations that there were two tvs in the room, kind of important when you are traveling with kids. There was only one, it worked out fine though. There was some construction finishing work that had not been done. We were actualy missing a mirrior in the 1/2 bath and there was a couple of minor other things. They have also obvoiusly placed a governor on the ac because no matter how low you set the themostate the room would never get cooler then 74. Pretty uncomfortable to sleep like that. We were on the top floor so the room and the hallway was pretty hot but the temp were also in the low 100's during our stay so that probably had some to do with it.
Pool: The pool deck was not cleaned the whole week we stayed. Very gross. Leads you to wonder if the chemicals in the pool and spa were correct too. Often times there was no towels and there was a cheerleading camp that was out of control. The unsupervised children chased us out of the pool area nearly every day and "closed" the pool. They constantly kept floors and elevators wet and gross running around. Several of us complained with no results. The campers ran up and down the halls, wrecked the breakfast area and would ride up and down the elevators cheering at the top of their lungs and prevented others from using the elevator. I understand that you are not able to "refuse" guest and there were several other camp groups there and they were supervised and fine. The staff could have spoken to the parents and made sure the kids behaved though.
Misc: Book in room says check out at 12, confirmation from reservations says noon. Be advised, the deactivate your key at 11 and tell you that is the policy. Made getting out a pain in the butt. There is an issue in the area with the homless, not the hotels fault but a few times they came in to use the restroom. Just made me a little umcomfortable they got that kind of access, wasnt the fault of the staff, we watched them sneek in but they need to be aware. There was a broken car window when we came out one morning, that can happen any where though. There is no mini freezer in the mini fridge.
This hotel has so much potential. I looked for a way to get this info to Marriot but there is no way that I can find to do that. I think we may be badk to the same camp next year and I would really like to give this hotel another try a year from now in hopes that they will have ironed down issue, I am not sure if I will though. May just keep an eye on the reviews for the next year. It can be an excellent place.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family