“Nice and Would Stay There Again”

Holiday Inn Express Durham
Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We checked in efficiently and went directly to dinner. Retuned to find a nice room in a hotel that appeared to be a refurbishment of a room in an older hotel. WiFi worked great as did flat screen with ample channel offering. Closet was doorless and bathroom had no exhaust fan. The one elevator was very slow and breakfast was good but basic. Not perfect but acceptable. Would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Bob N,

Thanks for leaving a review of your recent stay - we're glad you had a good visit and found our staff efficient, though apologize that a couple aspects of your guest room did not meet your expectations. Our team will discuss your feedback in order to help improve our facilities in the future. Otherwise, we're glad to hear you plan to stay in the future and hope to see you soon! Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We needed a hotel that accepted our small dog and we found an excellent one in this location. We asked for a first floor room to make it easier to take our dog out and the hotel complied. Room was very comfortable and clean. Wonderful free breakfast bar in the morning. Would definitely come back here

Room Tip: Loved room 106 if you have a dog
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Georgina P,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit! I'm glad to hear you could take advantage of our pet-friendliness and that you had a clean, comfortable stay. We are grateful for your 5-star ratings across the board and look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Durham! Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Unsure where to stop for the night and this filled the bill. East on and off the highway. Clean room and very nice breakfast. Staff was helpful and pleasant. What more could you ask for for an overnight stay in an unknown area?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Grandjudy
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Grandjudy,

Thanks for reviewing our Holiday Inn Express - I'm glad to hear you found our location right off the highway convenient and that you enjoyed your stay overall! We appreciate your high ratings and are happy you found our staff friendly and helpful. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you the next time you pass through Durham!

Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family in the area. The hotel was nice enough, very close to interstate. Most of the staff members we encountered were very nice and helpful. The room was adequately sized, however not as clean as I would like. It wasn't horrible; but the housekeepers could stand to put in a bit more effort. The bed was very comfortable. (VERY) Slept well. One issue we did run into was overuse of air freshener. They had automatic sprayers set up in the hallway that literally were making us choke. We had to ask management to take them down, it was such a strong smell. At the time of our visit they had smoking rooms and non-smoking rooms on the same floor, which is no big deal. (Unsure what they have set up now) I guess they put the freshener out to combat smoke smell.....I will say there was absolutely zero smoke odor or haze but the smell of those fresheners was extremely overpowering. Too much, and I didn't feel they were needed. There literally was no indication this hotel even had smoking rooms. (I'm guessing they don't have many.) There isn't much area to walk around outside and I didn't feel safe doing so at night, (I blame the area of town-not the hotel). All in all, a nice hotel.

Stayed: June 2013
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear TruthInNumbers,

We appreciate you taking the time to review our Holiday Inn Express and are glad you had a good visit overall, though do apologize for the inconvenience regarding air fresheners and our team will take your comments into consideration about how we handle this in the future. Otherwise, I am glad you found our staff very accommodating and friendly and we hope to see you the next time you visit Durham. Thanks again for your feedback!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I booked two rooms for family that was coming into North Carolina for a wedding. The front desk staff was always very friendly, and the rooms were comfortable and clean. We had a few issues with demagnetization of room keys, but it was promptly taken care of. The free breakfast in the morning was convenient and delicious. After the wedding, the bride and groom stayed overnight too!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Cathy A,

Thank you for your review and we hope you and your family enjoyed the wedding! I'm happy to read you had a clean, comfortable stay, and would like to apologize again for the issue with your room key, but am glad our staff was able to resolve it quickly. Thanks again for your comments and high ratings and we hope to see you the next time you're in town!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

1. I booked the wrong date and the corporate and management team said they would get back to me on refunding. They never got back to me and simply took $100.
2. I get there and before I even get to the room, the room key isn't working
3. I get into the room but it is dusty and hot
4. I asked them to fix the AC and the front desk said, someone will be right up. No one ever came.
5. Breakfast options were disgusting.

DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear DBurt1987,

Thank you for reviewing your visit. We deeply apologize that your stay didn't meet your expectations and our team will discuss your feedback in order to ensure everything we provide is in working quality. In regards to your booking, cancellation policies vary, but many of our rates are easy to cancel without charge until the date of arrival when booking through our website. Please give me a call at the number below if there is anything I can do to further help in regards to our amenities or your refund. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to have another opportunity in the future to give you a great stay.

(434) 822-2161

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This hotel was close to the office I was in town to visit and that was the best part about the property for me. The staff is not overly accommodating but, do get the job done. I did like the fact that the front desk was right inside the door - that isn't always the case and can be confusing. The overall condition of the hotel was very good - my room was pretty clean (the grout in the corners of the bathroom needs some attention). The ice bucket was "hidden" in a cabinet so it took a moment to find. The linens were nice - large towels and comfortable sheets. I did like the fact that there was a fridge in the room also. Very limited selection for TV but, who is the room enough to care? The free Wi-Fi was great. I felt like there was a little too much furniture in the room - kept banging my shin on the coffee table. Oh, this place was VERY quiet - I am a light sleeper and never heard a sound all night. Ample parking available. Cookies and apples in the lobby :) Decent breakfast. Would choose this hotel again.

Room Tip: From what I could tell all rooms would be fine - it was very quiet here!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear junemagpie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Holiday Inn Express. I'm happy you had a clean, quiet stay and appreciate your other feedback. We're glad you plan to return and look forward to your next visit! Thanks again for your comments.