“Delightful Staff, But Tired, Dated Property”

Marriott at Research Triangle Park
Ranked #20 of 71 Hotels in Durham
New York City, NY
“Delightful Staff, But Tired, Dated Property”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Spent 2 nights here on a recent business trip and found the staff to be extremely pleasant and friendly, without being overly effusive. Check in was quick and efficient. Check out, the same. I ate at Newton's one night and found it to be quite good. The room and the public areas though are in need of a redo. The property does not look like it was upgraded since the 1980's. The rooms are just average, not very clean, and the walls, furniture and fixtures are scuffed and show a lot of wear and tear. The shuttle transportation to RTP offices is a major convenience. They'll even take you to the airport.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank STYLEONTHEGO
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear the staff service was pleasent and friendly. We are in the top 10 for overall guest satisfaction in all Marriott Hotels in the Americas. We have the friendliest staff in town. I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the lobby and rooms. They were remodeled in 2009 and we receive many guest comments on how lovely our lobby and rooms are. The lobby is colorful, open and inviting and the guest rooms are modern. We are close to the airport, I40 and 540 and offer shuttle service in a three mile radius. We look forward to your next visit.

Bill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I stayed here on business and when I arrived there was an empty water bottle under the covers of my bed. The manager was very apologetic and moved me to another room and he even carried my suitcase himself. The new room was spotless. The toilet paper in the bathroom was very thin and scratchy and the towels were skimpy and worn but the bed and bedding was extremely comfortable. The breakfast buffet at the hotel's restaurant, Newton's, was fairly good but for $15.00 it seemed a little limited. The coffee was excellent however. I would stay again if I was in the Raleigh-Durham area for business.The staff here was very nice. I enjoyed the heated indoor pool and hot tub.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CarolinaBroncoLady
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear CarolinaBroncoLady,

Thank you for your feedback, without honest feedback we can not improve. Please accept my apologies for the empty water bottle in the bed. We have investigated this and have determined a guest that did not use the second bed in the room bed must have placed it there. We have reviewed this with the team so we can improve going forward. We are in the process of upgrading our towels. We are phasing in the new Marriott linen that is very plush. Our restaurant has a wonderful breakfast buffet. It has all the standard breakfast items you would expect and included omlets. We look forward to your next visit.

Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

I really like this Marriott. It's in a great, quiet location, it has all the amenities of the higher category Marriott but priced better. They have a great staff that knows how to make you feel like you're their # 1 customer. I recommend this place for business, relaxation, and family gathering.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank loveeydoveey
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fedback. We have the friendliest saff in town. The entire team is trained to go out of their way to provide excellent customer service. We look forward to your next visit.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is my first stay at what is now my preferred hotel at RTP. I checked in for a one-night stay prior to an early flight, which turned into a late check-out and then two nights after I was struck with a 24-hour bug. The bed was already supremely comfortable with a nicely-stocked Concierge Lounge to boot.

However once I became sick the staff has gone WAY above normal decent care for an ill customer. Helping with rental-car extension, delivering a refreshed key to the room, and several small touches that were unasked-for but much appreciated. The off-the-menu chicken soup delivered to the room was the icing on the cake. It's lonely being sick on the road and this staff has made a crummy day a whole lot brighter!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WhereRSandH2day
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great news that our staff went above and beyond to make you feel better. Making sure our guests have a great stay is our top priority. If that means making some homemade chicken noodle soup for a guest under the weather then that's what we do. We have the most caring and friendliest staff in town. We look forward to your next visit.

Fort Bragg, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

I had an absolutely wonderful experience at the RTP Marriott for the Morgan Management and Consulting Group's Event 2013 which was hosted by Al and Yolanda Morgan. The hotel staff were excellent in all aspects of customer service. The friendliness shown by all staff to include front desk, bartender, wait staff, room attendants, concierge, etc was absolutely awesome!! I will return to this Marriott because of the beautiful, clean and spacious areas as well as the staff!! The staff are well trained and this type customer service happens when the leaders motivate and empower staff. Everyone seemed to enjoy their jobs. This Marriott is conveniently located off I40 which made it easy to locate since we were traveling from Ft. Bragg, NC. Thank you!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Vanessa,

Thank you for your feedback. We have the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town. I am happy to hear you were able to experience just how friendly and accomodation our staff can be. We have a great location right off I40 and minutes from 540 and the airport. We look forward to having you stay with us again next year as the Morgan's have already booked for next year.

long island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

BEDS WERE SUPER COMFY free parking and plenty of it.
this hotel was the cleanest, nicest staff, best breakfast, best location, went down for a soccer tournament..all the fields were within 25 minutes . it is close to the airport so arriving at night and departure on sunday went smooth and convenient. pool lovely. staff was exceptional..i have never met a nicer staff.
close to airport but no noise..fast food and some restaurants right down the road..as well as gas.. highway right there..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We have the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town. The Marriott bedding package is hard to beat and our location right off of I40 is very convenient. Plenty of amenities close by and the airport close too. We look forward to your return next year.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

I've been staying at the Marriott RTP every week for business. It is conveniently located near all the RTP businesses and restaurants. There is also a shuttle that takes guests to airports and other sites. The hotel and concierge staff are very friendly and accommodating. Marty from Sales and Marketing was especially helpful and went the extra mile to help me book my stays. I will definitely be staying here for any future travels to the Triangle area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Linda,

Thank you for your feedback. Marty is just one of many friendly and helpful associates at the hotel. We feel we have the friendliest staff in town. We are looking forward to your next visit.