“Booked concierge level room given small normal room”

Marriott at Research Triangle Park
Ranked #22 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked a concierge level rooms with sitting area because it was the only room available. Upon arival I was given a normal room on a lower floor with not sitting area. I was not informed of the change of my room at checkin. When I notified the front desk they were unable to provide an explanation as to why I was given a normal room nor were they able to give me the room I reserved. They did discount my rate but only by $20/night. Not going back to Marriott again.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Business10321
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your fedback, without honest feedback we can not improve. Please accept my apologies for the incorrect room type. On the night you stayed and the night before we were sold out. When this happens we sometimes run out of specific room types, I am truly sorry. I am happy to hear the staff lowered your rate to compensate for this. I hope you enjoyed the hand written apology card and amenity we sent to your room. I will share your comments with the team so we can improve our service going forward.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

From check in to check out this Marriott was on point. You can tell the staff has been properly trained. Front desk staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The banquet staff for our Saturday Night Reception – was so pleasant. We wanted them stop working and be part of our family.
Thank you to everybody – Marriott at Research Triangle Park. Bill Clancy, General Manager – you should be proud of your staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Bill R,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear you had a wonderful experience. We have the friendliest and most accomodating staff in town. We are in the top 10 for overall guest satisfaction compared to all full service Marriott hotels in the Americas. We hope to have you back for another reunion next year.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The service at this hotel is great! Very friendly staff-- consistently friendly too! The gym is great, pool is great, food is great and beds are comfortable. I love staying at this hotel because I usually can get a good price and I know I can count on the staff members to go the extra mile to make sure my check in and experience is great!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Ivy R,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear you love our hotel. I will share your comments with the team. We have the friendliest staff in town. They truly care about our guests and go out of their way to make the stay great. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked this hotel based upon the website, when we arrived it was apparent that they were understaffed, no bell service or valet. The room had upgraded furniture but was too large for the original room so you couldn't get the luggage cart into the room. The room itself had environmental issues (possibly mold or material breakdown) and we couldn't sleep due to this. It is obvious that the property is not doing well financially, old linens with wear and holes, toilet paper that comes off one sheet at a time and carpet stains. When I spoke to the desk clerk she said she would let the GM know.....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lucien7212
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback, without honest feedback we can not improve. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. You are correct in we do not have valet parking, however we do have bell service handled by the front desk. Bell carts do fit in the rooms, tight fit, however it is not encouraged to bring them in the rooms, our staff is willing and available to assist with luggage. Upon your departure I was notified about your concerns with the room. I personally inspected the room myself yesterday and today and did not discover any environmental issues as you described or any carpet stains. I am truly sorry you were not pleased with the room. I will share your comments with the team so we can improve going forward.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I recently stayed during a business trip and loved it. By far, the customer service is excellent and from the past reviews, this is one of the most consistent factors about the hotel. Amenities were overall very good and particularly, I enjoyed the size of the indoor pool, the downstairs and upstairs lounge areas, and the grounds were lovely, serene, and nestled in a very quiet residential area. Hotel is also very close to other restaurants and shopping. Rooms are quiet and the bed slept well. Breakfast was great and was presented well. The Executive Lounge/Dining room was slightly disappointing, as I was expecting a true lounge area to relax, have wine, and access to beverages as I've seen in other executive lounges but this was nothing too major and perhaps, there is more activity during the weekday. Other reviewers have commented that the hotel seems older and could use updating, however, I found the updates very nice, warm, welcoming, and the hotel encompasses a sense of charm that I absolutely loved. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a wooded view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We have the cleaniest and friendliest hotel in town. We are ranked in the top 10 for overall guest satisfaction compared to all full service Marriott hotels in the Americas. Later this year we are remodeling our executive lounge. Once completed it will be modern with all the amenities you would come to expect. I completely agree with your comment about our updates. We are an older hotel but have kept it modern and up to date over the years, it is cozy. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

For an older Marriott property was well renovated and tip top condition.

The staff here takes the cake for kindness, attentiveness and just all round being pros at what they do. Compared to my last stay with Sheraton West Des Moines, they were the complete opposite. This is what turns an SPG Platinum to Marriott, not the goofy red carpet they put in my room.

Rooms were very nice however and slept well.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Manny,

Thank you for your feedback. As you experienced we have the friendliest staff in town. They truly care about our guests and it shows. We don't roll out the red carpet for everyone. We were trying to make you feel special. We look forward to your next visit.

Bill

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I traveled with a friend for a Christians conference to this hotel last month. We drove over night and arrived super early in the morning. The Front Office manager (sorry i forgot his name) was absolutely wonderful and accommodating. He allowed us an early check in and we were so appreciative as our eyes were beyond heavy. when we got to the rooms it was clean and fresh, the room had a huge desk which was great, and a decent sized bathroom. There weren't any really nice views it seemed but that's not a big deal. The conference was great, the banquet staff was very attentive, the front desk was superb, I didn't use housekeeping but considering the manner in which I walked into my room I would consider them awesome as well.

Now for the beds - If I could've stuff the entire bed and linen in my truck to bring back home I would have. Had to have been the best best I have slept on EVER.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Bill C, General Manager at Marriott at Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased to hear the staff went out of there way to make you feel at home and get you checked in early. We have the best Front Office Manager in town. He has been her for 7 years and really goes out of his way to please our guests. Cleanliness is also a top priority here. We feel we have the cleanest and friendliest hotel in town. We are ranked in the top 10 for overall guest satisfaction compared to all full seervice Marriott hotels in the Americas. Our banquet staff is also superb, as you experienced and we recieve positive comments all the time. The beds are among the best in the business. They can be purchased for home through Marriott.com. Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Bill