SpringHill Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Research Triangle Park
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Melbourne, Australia
“Good Value Marriott”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2010

We stayed here for four nights with our 5yo son. Our suite had a king bed and sofa bed and a small sitting area with free internet connection, a small fridge and microwave and 42 inch TV, so quite comfortable.
Free breakfast was OK - usual stuff including hot eggs & sausages, enough to get you started.
The hotel location is right on the I-40, but no traffic noise at all. It's right next to the RTP so it's a good location for business - but on the weekend the whole area is somewhat deserted if you want to go out for dinner or find something else to do locally.
All things considered it was good value - our AAA rate was one of the best value rates we've had anywhere.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
northern virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

stayed with sister to bring niece on college visits to unc and duke. caught spring holiday pricing and lucked out in getting this hotel at great price, staying for one night. there are two spring hill suites in the area and this one is closer to airport than the schools we were visiting. it took a little navigating to get to the hotel since it's located in an office park and secluded. but worth it.

place was packed with families and traveling groups. but noise level was low. breakfast buffet was really good and well-stocked. room/suite was laid out very well, separate desk/microwave/refrig area, sitting area with pull-out sofa and 2 queen beds in separate area. large flat screen tv was on swivel so you could turn towards sitting area or sleeping area. pretty good. bathroom had separate sink area from toilet/tub/shower area - pretty spacious for the good rate that we got!!!

hotel is rated pretty high and can understand why - great space, very friendly staff and luxury feel for budget price...signed up for marriott rewards card and hoping to be able to find other good deals with springhill suites with future travels.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a romantic weekend ( about 1 hour away from home) and it's very well kept and beautiful. Although it's a very nice hotel, we had a major problem at check-in. After a getting our room key, we went to our assigned room on the 4th floor and it was occupied. I mean, slippers on the floor, bed messy - but no one was there. So we lugged our belongings back to the front desk and they assigned us a new room and offered us free items from the store in the lobby.

The room was beautiful and the bed was really soft but it was kind of cramped with little walking space. The room had a microwave, refrigerator, and ~32" flat screen TV. Checkout went smoothly but I noticed a major problem when I looked at my bank statement. They charged my debit card (they have a surcharge for debit card users) multiple times even though my stay was booked and paid for through Expedia. It took about a week for my money to be credited back to my bank.

We missed breakfast both mornings because it ends rather early. So, they need to extend it for 30 minutes or an hour because people staying there for leisure probably don't wake up so early.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tataylo2
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2010

Booked via company website. Shuttle driver (nice girl from Ohio) picked me up in the freezing cold at RDU. I inquired about walking area restaurants. She noted only the nearby Sheraton then immediately offered me a ride to multiple places or an option for delivery. I checked in quickly and felt like I was visiting someone's home they were so nice. I then called the driver back for a ride to Texas Steakhouse down the road. She was ready to go then picked me up again when I was done.

Great service and so very pleasant.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2009

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days (weekend) because we are attending a wedding at the Duke Garden. It's about 10-15 minutes drive to Duke Garden (Duke University). Free breakfast, free internet, and the hotel is very clean. our room has microwave and hair dryer. The bed is extremely comfortable. Not bad for $59 per night. I would stay there again!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xmaskutee
ilove2playpiano
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

I just got back today from a wonderful 3 night stay at the SpringHill Suites Marriot. First of all, for background information, I booked this hotel for my mom and grandmother during our visit to the Raleigh-Durham area. My grandmother can be picky about the hotels she stays in, but she agreed with all of us that this hotel was a winner. My only complaints about the hotel are listed at the bottom of my review....after the more numerous praises.

Good things:

1) The staff was very accommodating and polite. We had no trouble checking in since we made our reservations on Priceline.com (The $50/night was a big factor in what made this hotel a winner!) On one occassion, I called the front desk to ask a question...no emergency. They must have been busy because it rang until I got the voicemail. I hung up. But a minute later, we received a call from the front desk asking us if we called and if we needed anything. I think it is very nice that they took the time to call back.

2) The hot breakfast was quite a treat. Every day they have: eggs, sausage, cheese, english muffins, other types of muffins and bagles, waffles (make your own), milk (chocolate and plain), tomato, apple and orange juice and fruit cups. They also sometimes have yogurt. It was a very filling and delicious meal...buffet style.

3) Our suite (2 double beds, and sofa bed) was more than enough room for the 3 of us. It was really nice to have the sofa bed...I think it's a bit harder to find that feature in other hotels. We had a microwave and mini-fridge (a plus, especially if you want to warm up take-out...or save restaurant expenses). It had two t.v.s (the old kind, but adequate), a bathroom where the sink was located outside of the room that housed the tub and toilet (a nice feature if multiple people want to use the sink/toilet and bath area at once. There is also FREE Wireless at the hotel...I believe this is a new feature...not sure if the hotel's website lists that yet...it used to be high-speed and more recently changed I think. Here's a tip about connecting: Use the "ibahn" network. Once you connect to that, you are sent to the ibahn website (once you open up your internet page). Click on the option to the left, where you get free premium access for the day. I was confused about which option to choose, but finally asked the staff and was told to use that one every time I wanted to connect. You have to agree to their conditions, but it's pretty straightforward. And ask them what to do if you have a question.

4) The hotel had a nice INDOOR pool and hot tub, as well as an excercise room. These were nice features.

The hotel is overall in wonderful shape and despite the minor inconveniences I have listed below, it is a great deal and I would recommend it!

Bad things:

1) Once open, the sleeper sofa does not allow much room for walking from the sleeping area to the small "kitchen"/desk area. But we managed.

2) Also, you have to come down for the hot breakfast on time...they are strict about when closing. We also found that the breakfast staff was unwilling to make more oatmeal after the pot emptied, even though the breakfast bar was still open. Like other reviewers said, the breakfast area, though pretty spacious, often gets crowded with people toasting bread or getting other food...and table space runs out. Although it looked like we wouldn't get a table the 2nd and 3rd days we were there, we were able to squeeze in and wait patiently until tables came available.

• Stayed October 2009
Houston, TX
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

We booked at this hotel because the Web site says that the "living area is separated from bed by privacy wall," which was important to us traveling with an infant. When we arrived, this was not the case. The sitting area faces the beds directly, and with the couch and chair walking areas is limited. It would have been impossible to use the sofa bed and access the bathroom. When we arrived we were told that the hotel was undergoing some renovations, and we didn't have a fridge in our room. But if we needed one they said they could get one for us that night. No fridge arrived despite asking twice. It did arrive later on the second day. And to top it off, the beds were soooo uncomfortable.

On the plus side, the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family