Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewsfront deskfull kitchenseparate bedroombeer and winegreat hotelcomplimentary breakfasthome away from homehotel stayrtp arearesearch triangleliving areaoutdoor poolclose to the airportroom was spaciousthe breakfast areaenjoyed my staybusiness trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I am a big fan of Hilton properties, and a diamond member. Overall property was in good shape, check-in ok, but after a long day of travel, a hot cup of coffee is nice, especially on a cold night. Coffee pot was empty, didn't have time to wait, so left for dinner and would wait until I return. One hour later, coffee still empty. Now, some would say no big deal, but for me, I think it is. Don't offer a coffee bar if you are not going to maintain. Otherwise, stay was good, room was clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
HomewoodSuites--RTP, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Raleigh-Durham AP / Research Triangle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your experience with us. I do apologize that the coffee station was better looked after during your visit with us. As a frequent coffee drinker, I definitely understand how frustrating that can be. I will address with our staff the importance of keeping an eye on it. Thank you for letting us know, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed 26 January 2012

Just returned this week from a two night stay. Being a woman traveling alone, at the time, I felt safe in the area and hotel - that is important to me.

Upon arriving, I found the staff friendly and professional. The room they had me scheduled for was near the elevator. I immediately went down and requested a room away from this area and found no problems getting re-placed. The rooms were spacious and clean. It may be a bit older in decor but it was very comfortable. My one negative is that they do not have a desk chair but rather two kitchen chairs at a breakfast type bar for my computer work. The chair was not as comfortable as a regular desk chair.

The breakfast was as expected these days with an assortment of breads, fruit, cereal, waffles, eggs, hash browns and sausages. Nothing to complain about there. All was clean, well stocked and maintained. The coffee was not to my liking but then maybe I am fussy about that. I needed a tray to bring my food back to the room and they accommodated me with that request.

My sense is that they are doing some renovating right now but I did not confirm this fact. However, they were taking out old carpeting when I arrived.

Overall, it was a very good stay and would recommend it and return.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I used to stay at this Homewood Suites often about 8-10 years ago when traveling to RTP on business. I (and many of my co-workers) found that the hotel always seemed to do just that little bit extra that made them stand out from other similarly priced hotels. The only thing that used to infuriate us were the &^$#*&^ lights on the outside of the building, that were so bright that there was no way to darken the room at night. Even piles of furniture up against the drapes couldn't keep out the blinding light. Luckily a few of the rooms don't have that problem, and so I soon learned to always request one of those rooms. Unfortunately the hotel dropped off my employer's "approved" list, so it had been many years since I'd stayed here.

Happily my employer considers the hotel "approved" once again, so I gave them another try. I had long since forgotten which room numbers were sufficiently dark, so I tried simply putting "dark room" in my reservation. I'm happy to report that it worked. Although a little bit of light still filtered in around the curtains, I had no problem getting my room dark enough to sleep soundly.

I find Homewood Suites tend to come in one of two categories, either new ones that are too small so you find yourself tripping over furniture, or older ones that are spacious but starting to look a bit run down. This Homewood Suites fits neither of those categories. My room was of a good size (actually 2 rooms with a separating door - a bedroom and a kitchen / sitting room - both were comfortably large) and although it had been a long time since I was last here, the furniture, walls, etc. were all in very good shape. Each room had a modern flatscreen TV. The kitchen has a full size refrigerator and freezer, cook top, large microwave, dishes, and utensils. The bathroom is split with the sink out in the bedroom and toilet & tub/shower in a separate room. Water pressure in the shower was good. HVAC worked well (although it was a little loud). The rooms and hotel in general were clean. There was very little noise from inside or outside the hotel. The kitchen sink did have a slow drip that I couldn't stop, so if I was sleeping in that room (on the fold-out sofa) it may have been something of a water torture, but I wasn't so I really didn't care. There was popcorn in the room to have as a snack. The hotel had free internet (it was also free back when I stayed in the past and was one of those little extras since at that time most of their competitors were still charging for it).

On weeknights they have food, beer, and wine available. On the night I arrived they had salad and meatball subs which were certainly adequate and appreciated after flying in. Breakfast in the morning was also very good. Long ago they had a chef making omlettes and such to order (the only Homewood Suites I've ever known to do this). That's gone now but there was still a selection of eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, cereal, yogurt, and toaster items available. Perhaps a little less selection than some similar hotels, but I thought overall the quality of the food was quite a bit better. I thought it was about as good a breakfast as you could expect from a steam table. (The yogurt with granola a berries was also quite tasty.)

The fitness center is open 24 hours and has the usual bike, treadmills, and rack of free weights, all in good working order. The staff was all very friendly and efficient, from the front desk to the gentleman cleaning the elevator. So a great hotel, as long you get a dark room (or have no problem sleeping in a brightly lit room).

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank usroadman
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Stay one night on the way to the beach. Had a one bedroom suite with two queen beds and sofa bed for 2 adults and 4 children. A little tight but still very comfortable. The beds were awesome. The fully stocked kitchen is always good to have and came in handy on this trip. No indoor pool for the kids. Morning breakfast was good. Easy access off I-40.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank kokodoc
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip. Overall it is slightly below par for a Homewood suites. Not awful by any means but also nothing to rave about.

Pros:
1. Staff is very friendly and accomodating.
2. Rooms are comfortable and spacious.
3. High Speed data is free and actually pretty good. No issues with connecting my laptop, iPhone and IPad. Speed test gives back about 500kbps download at peak hours and 380 up.
4. Bed is actually very comfortable.

Cons:
1. Toilet kept running. Often enough (every 15 minutes) that I have no idea how housekeeping didn't notice to report. I reported and it was resolved the next day.
2. Bathroom fixtures are dated. Plate for shower faucet cracked from over tightening. Bathtub needs a recalking.
3. Room has 2 decent (Philips) HD sets. No HD channels though so the picture is awful. When are hotels going to get with the program and realize SD channels to HD set stretched to full screen look awful?
4. Housekeeping didn't leave me replacement washrags and bath mat the second night.
5. When I checked in all of the dishes were in the dishwasher and not in the cabinet. Wasn't expecting them to be there....
6. Only two elevators for 7 floors usually a few minutes wait for an elevator.

The morning breakfast is adequate standard Homewood Suites fair. However, being a breakfast person I elected to drive the couple of miles on I40 to the Waffle House.

Overall if you stay here you will probably be happy. I'll probably stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business