“Won't be back..”

Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham
Ranked #40 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I booked a room three weeks in advanced and wasn't told until the night I checked in on Sunday night at 11:00 PM that "looks like there is a problem" I was downgraded from the room I originally booked which was a Suite to a single King bed room. I didn't unpack because I was told it would be corrected the following day and when I called in the following day from work to check on the status of moving the room, I was told "I really hope someone checks out today so we can get you moved" WHAT!!! Had I been called before I got to the hotel on Sunday and told that you couldn't meet my accommodations then I would not have even bothered at your hotel. Giving me a discount on the price of the room doesn't help either I could really give less of a crap about the price, so telling me that "it's okay we discounted your room" doesn't mean a thing to me. I never ended up switching rooms and stayed in the single guest room the whole week. This was a horrible experience at this hotel and I am a very very big IHG member and stay in the RTP area very often and I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Quite hotel. Call ahead of time to double check your reservation. If someone is staying in your roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 54DK54
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

I apologize for the bad experience you had during your stay. Currently we have a large number of guest who are here for either medical reasons or on business projects. Sometimes it is hard to determine an exact departure date for both. The guest who were in this room type had extended and we were not able to accommodate you as you had expected. I should have contacted you and let you know that we would not be able to move you into our one bedroom queen suite. I apologize we did not notify you that we would have to move you into our studio suite. I know you stated you were to be in a king suite, however we do not have any rooms that have king size beds.
I understand that we did not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. I do hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity when you travel to this area.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

My family and I started staying at the Candlewood locations as often as possible when we travel. We stayed in our first location in 2009 and we are currently spending the night at one. We have stayed more than 150 nights combined at the Candlewood since 2009. We enjoy the staff and the clean rooms. The locations we have stayed at have always been centrally located and we have never had any security concerns. The gym, laundry and food pantry are always stocked. We highly recommend you stay here to be the judge for yourself. Keep up the great work staff at Candlewood located in Durham RTP. JAH

Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your comments. We truly enjoy seeing you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Having stayed at other candlewood suites, I knew what to expect (and not).
The hotel is conveniently located; great if you happen to be in RTP area and need a suite with a kitchenette and clean rooms. Several Restaurants and even a Food Lion (grocery) within walking distance.

It is not one of the newer candlewood properties though the service – newer furnishings and bedding - and location more than make up for it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank M B

Thank you for your comments. We do realize that we are not as new as some hotels. Our staff strives to provide you with a clean, comfortable room, and a friendly staff. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I spent 3nights here. Let me say that I travel for business combined with pleasure, I stay in hotels almost every week for 2-4 nights or more across the S.E. so I have experienced the good, the bad & the ugly & I am picky within reason (hate dirt, mold & or stench). The room was clean with microwave, coffeepot, full size refrigerator, stove and (very) basic utensils, pans toaster etc so you can cook your meals if you so desire. This is a suite hotel which means you get more amenities for less$, but you do not get daily room service, you get room service once a week (if you want clean sheets, towels etc they will gladly give to you at the front desk). Because it has a mini kitchenette they do not serve breakfast.. The hotel was fairly clean and well appointed, There is a laundry room & an exercise room. Comfortable beds, WIFI and TV where so-so. This is an older property (it hasn't undergone the great updates that Candlewood is doing (or done) at other properties) I say it is 2&1/2 stars at most. But if price matters it could be your spot. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear traveling_frank,

Thank you for your your review of our hotel. We are glad to know that you found our rooms to be clean and our hotel to be well appointed.

I am sorry to hear that you found our hotel to be old and dated. We always make sure that the quality of our amenities are in tip top shape and we deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations at this point.

Rest assured that your comments will be used for future improvements. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing so how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 14 May 2013

Everything at this hotel is reasonable - cleanliness, room comfort and price. Nothing stands out as particularly good but nothing to complain about. The rooms are a bit dated and show wear and tear;in need a facelift, especially the bathroom. The local area is a little bleak and there aren't any good restaurants close by, but plenty of cheap eats. The front desk staff were friendly and polite.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Kevin, Thank you for writing a review about the hotel. We truly appreciate you staying with us. As you stated we do have fast food restaurants around us. However, we are about 2 miles from South Point Mall. Which does have a lot of restaurants to choose from . Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

This was a one night stay for a meeting in the Durham, NC, area. The hotel and room were very clean and the room had a kitchenette in it. The front desk was never manned, but the front door required your key for entry after dusk. The kitchenette was stocked with utensils and pots and pans and a coffee pot. The pillows were not the best, they could have been better. The hotel had no breakfast available, but had a pantry where you could buy food to make your own breakfast. Overall impression of the hotel was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We are in the process of correcting the pillow issue. Our goal is to have two firm pillows and two soft pillows in every room. We do have staff here 24 hours a day. They sometimes are assisting other guest or folding laundry. They are only a quick phone call away to assist you. Again, thank you so much for your comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

While our stay actually "in" the hotel was just a little more than one night's worth of sleep, this Candlewood Suites hotel certainly will be on our list again if we are in the area.

The room was clean and comfortable and its location backed up to a nice woods area, offering privacy and extra insulation from possible noise outside.

The area is secure and requires a key to enter past dark.

Several restaurant choices are very close by and a mall with popular retailers, nightlife and additional dining choices are just a couple miles away.

I have only two minor comments that may would keep me from giving higher praise... #1 Some of the cabinetry and appliances are starting to show their age, but in our particular room anyway, they are still in good shape. #2, Even the one bedroom suite lacked a king sized bed, which was a little odd but doesn't seem to be out of the norm for this hotel chain.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Dan, Thank you so much for staying with us. We are so grateful for your comments. We certainly understand your concerns on the furniture. We are looking in to make these updates in the next year. We do understand your concern for the king beds, however we only have queen size beds here at the Durham Candlewood Suites.

Our focus is to have a clean room with a friendly staff at a reasonable rate. I look forward to your next visit to Durham, NC.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us and for your Great comments.
Jonathan