Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham
Ranked #40 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My family and I were in town for Duke's Homecoming weekend. We have stayed at Candlewood hotels before in other cities and it was exceptional. Upon arrival the hostess was very nice and greeted us kindly. The lobby appeared to be small but efficient. The halls, elevator and the room had an awful smell. Animal urine and smoke filled the air. We were very disappointed that this location is no where near the same as the others. We were not happy but due to the number of people in town, our choices were limited to find a suite. As we prepared for bed, I noticed that the linens were covered in hair and had several stains. I requested a clean set of linens from the front desk and the ones I received did not have hair but they too were dingy. I was also unhappy about receiving a handicapp accessible room, the bathroom had no shelves
for toiletries or hair products. We did not need this room but because the hotel wanted the money, this is what we received. The carpet is very dirty, everything in the room is old and should be replaced. This site is a bad representation of Candlewood hotels- will never stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Frances M
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

I sincerely apologize for your troubles during your recent stay. We are in the process of putting together a capital improvement project and should begin this process in a few months. We will also retrain all the associates to look for any hair on the linen after the washing and drying process. I do understanding your concerns and they will be addressed. thank you for your comments and I do hope you will give us another chance sometime in the future.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Durham. It was an excellent stay as the staff were very friendly and always helpful. The room was very clean and as ususal the candle wood suites had all the comforts of home such as free laundry and excellent gym the candlewood cupboard and of course a kitchenette in the room. I would like to thank the staff again for an excellent hotel experience.

Lori Rundle

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you very much for you comments. We appreciate you staying with us and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night. I woke up two days later with blistered bites all over my legs. I counted 80 bites. It took me a day to figure out what they were and I am feeling miserable, itchy, painful and gross looking. I called the hotel to let them know and they were very understanding and refunded my entire stay immediately. But I do hope they take care of this problem before others get bit because it is not fun!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Sandra, I do appreciate your response. Once you notified us of your situation we inspected the room as well as had an extermination company inspect the room and we did not find any bed bugs. We also inspected for any other insects, such as flees and spiders. We did not see any signs of them as well. However we did go through our standard process of heat treating the room as well as spraying the room with the appropriate chemicals. It has been a few days now and there are no signs of bed bug carcases or any other insect. I apologize you have received bug bites on your legs. If there is anything I can do for you please contact me at the hotel.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I booked a room three weeks in advanced and wasn't told until the night I checked in on Sunday night at 11:00 PM that "looks like there is a problem" I was downgraded from the room I originally booked which was a Suite to a single King bed room. I didn't unpack because I was told it would be corrected the following day and when I called in the following day from work to check on the status of moving the room, I was told "I really hope someone checks out today so we can get you moved" WHAT!!! Had I been called before I got to the hotel on Sunday and told that you couldn't meet my accommodations then I would not have even bothered at your hotel. Giving me a discount on the price of the room doesn't help either I could really give less of a crap about the price, so telling me that "it's okay we discounted your room" doesn't mean a thing to me. I never ended up switching rooms and stayed in the single guest room the whole week. This was a horrible experience at this hotel and I am a very very big IHG member and stay in the RTP area very often and I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Quite hotel. Call ahead of time to double check your reservation. If someone is staying in your roo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 54DK54
Jonathan A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2013

I apologize for the bad experience you had during your stay. Currently we have a large number of guest who are here for either medical reasons or on business projects. Sometimes it is hard to determine an exact departure date for both. The guest who were in this room type had extended and we were not able to accommodate you as you had expected. I should have contacted you and let you know that we would not be able to move you into our one bedroom queen suite. I apologize we did not notify you that we would have to move you into our studio suite. I know you stated you were to be in a king suite, however we do not have any rooms that have king size beds.
I understand that we did not meet your expectations and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. I do hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity when you travel to this area.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

My family and I started staying at the Candlewood locations as often as possible when we travel. We stayed in our first location in 2009 and we are currently spending the night at one. We have stayed more than 150 nights combined at the Candlewood since 2009. We enjoy the staff and the clean rooms. The locations we have stayed at have always been centrally located and we have never had any security concerns. The gym, laundry and food pantry are always stocked. We highly recommend you stay here to be the judge for yourself. Keep up the great work staff at Candlewood located in Durham RTP. JAH

Stayed: June 2013

Thank you for your comments. We truly enjoy seeing you and your family. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Having stayed at other candlewood suites, I knew what to expect (and not).
The hotel is conveniently located; great if you happen to be in RTP area and need a suite with a kitchenette and clean rooms. Several Restaurants and even a Food Lion (grocery) within walking distance.

It is not one of the newer candlewood properties though the service – newer furnishings and bedding - and location more than make up for it.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank M B

Thank you for your comments. We do realize that we are not as new as some hotels. Our staff strives to provide you with a clean, comfortable room, and a friendly staff. We appreciate your business and hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I spent 3nights here. Let me say that I travel for business combined with pleasure, I stay in hotels almost every week for 2-4 nights or more across the S.E. so I have experienced the good, the bad & the ugly & I am picky within reason (hate dirt, mold & or stench). The room was clean with microwave, coffeepot, full size refrigerator, stove and (very) basic utensils, pans toaster etc so you can cook your meals if you so desire. This is a suite hotel which means you get more amenities for less$, but you do not get daily room service, you get room service once a week (if you want clean sheets, towels etc they will gladly give to you at the front desk). Because it has a mini kitchenette they do not serve breakfast.. The hotel was fairly clean and well appointed, There is a laundry room & an exercise room. Comfortable beds, WIFI and TV where so-so. This is an older property (it hasn't undergone the great updates that Candlewood is doing (or done) at other properties) I say it is 2&1/2 stars at most. But if price matters it could be your spot. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Research Triangle Park / Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear traveling_frank,

Thank you for your your review of our hotel. We are glad to know that you found our rooms to be clean and our hotel to be well appointed.

I am sorry to hear that you found our hotel to be old and dated. We always make sure that the quality of our amenities are in tip top shape and we deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations at this point.

Rest assured that your comments will be used for future improvements. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing so how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments.

Dhan M