“Work Hard to Make you Comfortable”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park
Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel is right next to my workplace in RTP. It's small with no dinner restaurant and breakfast is nothing to write home about, but the staff work very hard to make you feel welcome and comfortable. They offer a van service that has dropped me off at bars and restaurants and then picked me up, as long as it is by 10:30PM. When I stayed there they had a manager reception with two beers and a snack. There are always fresh cookies on the side by the elevator in the evening along with the newspaper. On arrival my room key was already programmed and set to one side.
Ultimately, on business I need a bed and a quiet room with internet. The difference maker here is the staff. (Two free beers on a Tuesday and a Wednesday also helps).

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Dear DaveJMurphy,

Thank you for reviewing our Holiday Inn Express & Suites, and we're delighted to hear that you find our guest service to be excellent, as well as that you've taken advantage of our local shuttle. I'm also happy that you feel you receive good value for your money and have a high quality of sleep. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

This hotel was cookie cutter as Holiday Inn's go, except for the service. The maid left an incredibly rude note on my dresser and then the General Manager did nothing to really fix the situation, and barely apologized. Really makes me think IHG being my hotel rewards system of choice, I've never had this odd of a situation happen and a poor handling of it by management. The drivers, on the other hand, that take you to and from RTP, were exceptional. Rent a car if you come-- I got pretty sick of takeout food fast.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear wandersmuch,

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback regarding your stay at our hotel, and deeply apologize that we did not handle this issue to your satisfaction. Please don't hesitate to give me a call at the number below and I will be happy to discuss your visit further - providing excellent service is of course one of our biggest priorities. To our understanding following an investigation of the incident, our housekeeper found the note slipped under your door and placed it on your dresser without realizing it contained offensive material. However, we certainly agree this was not the best way to handle the situation and will use this opportunity to avoid similar missteps in the future. Thank you again for your comments and we do hope to have another opportunity to show why so many of our guests love us the next time you are in the area.

(434) 822-2161

Reviewed 24 May 2013

The location of the hotel was a perfect location for the Duke Chapel and the reception venue in Historic Tobacco area. Although the rooms did not have sofa beds the oversized roll aways were comfortable and roomy for our grandchildren. The amenities and finishes were comparable to other locations.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground level were more convenient.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2013

Dear Gammaof2,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I'm happy that you found our location to be very convenient for your needs. I'm also glad that we could accommodate your needs with our roll-away beds. Thank you again and we hope to see you for another visit when you're in the area!

Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night while on a business trip. The receptionist was friendly and offered me water and popcorn. The rooms were spacious snd clean. Beds were comfortable. I didn't have time to eat breakfast there but it looked good. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Julie K,

Thank you for reviewing us! I'm pleased to read that you had a nice stay and found everything clean. Hopefully you'll be able to try out our complimentary breakfast the next time you're in town. Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed here twice in the past week..both times I checked in around 2:30 pm and out around 1:00 am I was thanked for being a platinum member and treated very well at check in and check out..both rooms were an L shape which I havent saw in the past..fairly new furnishings standard super comfy beds..good water pressure..well lit ..microwave and fridge...everything was in order and clean..i am unsure of the standard room rates I recieved a discount for a local business I have been working for this week, which was a very fair rate...this property is a little above average for an older Holiday Inn Express, I was well satisfied with everything..only drawback was parking lot was not designed for semi trucks but was able to get in and out ok..if your driving a car( or anything but a semi truck) this is your place to stay..I will stay here anytime Im in the area..( its worth the difficult maneuvering to park because its a nice place with good people)

Room Tip: top floor was nice and quiet, great for a daytime sleeper like myself
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear teamster175,

Thanks for reviewing our Holiday Inn Express. As a Platinum Rewards member we truly appreciate your business and loyalty and I'm glad to read that you enjoyed our amenities and were won over by our guest service. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn for a week while on business at Research Triangle Park. They provide complimentary airport pickup and drop off and shuttled me to and from the Triangle each day. This saved my company car rental costs and it saved me from the hassles of navigating around the area at night. It was easy to make an appointment with the front desk for the time I needed the shuttle and they made all the arrangements. Doug, one of the shuttle drivers, was professional and courteous, and greeted me by name whenever he picked me up or dropped me off. Although the shuttle was free, and given the great service I received, I agree that tipping the shuttle driver is an appropriate and welcomed gesture. A couple of times the hotel provided a complimentary taxi when the shuttle was unavailable. A few times the taxi arrived ~10 minutes early, so my advice is to be ready in the lobby before your scheduled shuttle time; at least they I was never late for my business meetings.

Scott the evening manager, greeted me by name every evening I returned from the Triangle and checked to make sure I had everything I needed for my stay.

The property has an exercise room and business center on the ground floor and a self-service laundry room on the second floor. There was a small manager's reception on Tues/Wed evening when I stayed there. It was a nice appetizer before heading off to dinner meetings. The room was clean and quiet and the microwave and fridge were also a nice addition.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank smvw
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Research Triangle Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear smvw,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. It's great to hear that you were able to use our shuttle service to get around for all your needs while you were in town. I'm also happy to read that our guest service exceeded your expectations and that you were able to enjoy a clean, quiet stay. Thanks again and we hope to see you again the next time you travel to our area!

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I stayed for a week at this property during a training class at ISA located in the research triangle. Very good service and clean comfortable rooms. Most notable is that they provide a free shuttle within 5 miles of the property and from the airport. If the shuttle is unavailable, they provide a complimentary taxi. This allowed me to stay and not rent vehicle for the entire stay (Saved $250) for the week. Even though its free, make sure to tip the drivers ($2 seemed very appropriate and welcome).

The hotel is clean and fresh. The lobby was very pleasing but the rooms were nothing special. Typical minimum holiday inn express required standard décor. There is a train track along the rear side of the hotel, but the trains are very infrequent (1-2 per day) and not any louder than the air conditioning. I think a room on the back is better than on front along the street if noise is a consideration.

The room had minimum shampoo and conditioner. But no lotion. It did have a mini fridge and a microwave. Towels were a bit stiff and rough, not the typical soft towel found at a holiday inn express.

The service is excellent and friendly. All my requests were met with a welcome tone. The morning breakfast cook/server was very friendly, and even refilled my coffee. I wish however the eggs were better, I know they all are supplied but some cooks are better at preparing them than others. They have fresh cookies in the lobby every afternoon. I love that touch. They have a manager reception (beer and wine) Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon in the lobby great room. It seemed well attended (~20 people).

Instead of riding the free hotel shuttle at the end of the day I walk back from class. It was about a 5 mile walk, and the weather in the area is very nice in October. The research triangle has many nice walking paths set back from the roads. However the area right around the hotel is not set up well for walking. There is no sidewalk on the side of the street where the hotel is located. One must cross a 4 lane road to get to the sidewalk at the hotel complex on the opposite side of the road. There is a island on the road, so it’s generally safe to cross, but no traffic signal light is available.

There are not many restaurants in the area, but the shuttle will take you to some just a couple miles away if you like. There is a nice middle eastern café just ¾ mile down the road, and an excellent modern Mexican restaurant “MEZ” just a mile away. I ordered in twice from the Italian restaurant. The filet ravioli is excellent. Expect about an hour for delivery to the room door.

Room Tip: Dispite the train tracks back side will be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business