“MY HOME AWAY FROM!!!!!”
Review of Millennium Durham

Millennium Durham
Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 15 March 2012

For the last several years I have made the Millennium Hotel my second. I really feel part of the family during my extended stays, which makes this property in my opinion First Class. The Staff is always as helpful as can be an I would recommend anyone looking for a nice lodging to consider the Millennium in Durham, N.C. The hotels inhouse restaurant caters to various heart healthy menu options which is a desirable benefit for the Durham lifestyle.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank jonathan h

Reviewed 2 March 2012

We arrived @ The Millenium on 2/23/12 and checked out on 2/26/12. The shuttle drivers were courteous, prompt and extrememly helpful. It went down hill from there. The front desk staff ranged from respectful and helpful to downright rude, at one point a man (I think his first name was Reggie?) just stared at me and did not repsond when I asked him what to do if, for the second night in a row, the college student union conference attendees who were staying there continued to stage a drunken riot in the lobby and up and down my hallway until 3am. They could not move my room because they were sold out.

There was no wireless or internet service in the room, despite claims to the contrary. The first morning they cleaned the room and took all the towels out without replacing them. The second day they didn't bother cleaning the room, the same man at the front desk took that information before we went to dinner and when I came back, guess what? It still wasn't cleaned. The third morning they knocked on the door every ten minutes to clean and there was no do not dirturb sign available to get them to leave us alone!

The "business center" had a printer, which we needed, but it broke. Staff attempted to fix it but when they couldn't, again there were blank stares and a shrug. They refused to allow us to use any other printers in the building. I would not stay at this hotel again and would not reccomend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: Go to a better hotel.
2  Thank Emily F
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. Where do I begin?

The room smelled of mold and mildew. Thankfully, I had read a review of the hotel just before departing and I threw a scented candle in my bag as a precaution. I had it burning whenever we were in the room.

The heat was inoperable due to a horrendous odor that emanated from the unit when I turned it on. The bathroom was barely usable and I had to clean it myself. Towels were removed during housekeeping but not replaced. The TV was ancient. The "workspace" in the hotel room was rickety and the chair was 20 years old. No Internet connection in the room at all. Barely a connection in the lobby, which was unusable due to an unbelievable amount of noise and disruption that went unchecked by the hotel staff.

They tried, and had a decent attitude about it all, but simply gave up and let another group make all the noise they wanted. The staff explained that there was only one security guard on the premises and they refused to take any further action. The night manager did, however, reverse part of the room charge for one night out of three sleepless nights.

The pool was "closed" for maintenance but still in use. The "fitness centre" was a joke and some of the equipment was in the pool room, although the smell of chlorine and cleaning chemicals was overwhelming and therefore the equipment was unusable.

The overall condition of the hotel was ridiculous. It is a broken down and tired place that looks as if it was last attended to sometime in the 1980's. And even then the attention was minimal. IKEA furniture would have been better.

This is NOT a business hotel or one that is suitable for a conference or anyone who is interested in getting any sort of business done. The $5 "service fee" on top of the room rate was ridiculous since nobody made any local or long distance calls and there was no Internet access in the room. We should have received a $5 inconvenience rebate, if not more.

Some of the people in our party had rooms that were "skipped" during daily housekeeping rounds. Others were woken up repeatedly by housekeeping, even though they asked not to be disturbed. They would have put a DND sign on the door, but there was none in their rooms and housekeeping couldn't find one after it was requested.

The restaurant was actually OK if you ordered off the menu, but the buffet breakfast was disgusting. I could have pounded nails with the scrambled eggs and although there was plenty of bacon, it tasted as if it had just been dipped in the pig trough. The coffee was OK, but one morning I had to request "set-ups" 3 times before I simply went into the kitchen prep area and got it myself. The staff is pleasant enough, but I am not sure if it is that they are overwhelmed or just could not care less.

The "lounge" area and bar is perfect for a college dorm - circa 1980. Tried to watch a basketball game (we were at Duke, after all) but the TV was so blurry that you could barely read the score and the ball looked like it had a brown haired afro.

The only thing I can recommend about this hotel is the free shuttle service to and from Duke and a few local attractions. The drivers were attentive and responsive and the vans are clean and comfortable. The tipping for every ride got to be a bit onerous, but there was no undue pressure and a frequent reminder that the shuttle is free but the drivers really appreciate tips.

Not only would I never stay in this hotel again, but I would strongly caution anyone else from staying there unless they can get a rate for under $75 a night and they don't care about getting work done and are OK with a hit-or-miss opportunity for a solid night's sleep. If you are even remotely seasoned as a traveler and can pay a few bucks more, then I would tell you to stay with a different hotel.

The only reason we stayed here was because of a group rate negotiated by our conference host. Our rate was $105 (plus the hidden $5 "convenience fee") a night, whereas the nearby Marriott and Hilton hotels had rates of about $150 a night, with no hidden fees, amenities from the 21st century and working (free) Internet access. That alone is worth a few extra bucks a night, don't you think?

Room Tip: I am not sure there is a good room in this hotel.
4  Thank James S
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We want to thank everyone from the front desk, the clean (very clean) rooms, and van drivers. Everyone that I encountered was more than happy to meet every need. We are a hospital patient that I feel is treated as well as anyone else. I thank the staff for all. Would recommend this hotel to any one that is just on pleasure! The pool and hot tub look like something I look forward to my son enjoying in the future! Also, just a note, being that he has to stay in a place that is clean and germ free, I advise anyone to stay at this Hotel. It is great. Every request met. No Problem. Thanks!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I would rate this place just a little above average and that is because the indoor pool is bigger than most indoor pools I have seen. The hot tub was nice because it wasn't right by the pool but set off in a separate little room. The front desk person was friendly. We stayed there on Valentine's day and one of the main reasons was because it had a bar and we could drink and stay there. The bar area looked really nice, to bad they didn't open the bar because they had not scheduled a bar tender to work that night. What was that all about? No bar tender??? If you have a bar you should have somebody there EVERY night to work or don't advertise you have a bar! That is like not putting water in a swimming pool and advertising you have the biggest pool in the area. The value was good (if you don't book directly through the hotel, use expedia or something) if you were just passing through and needed a place to stay. They had an italian restaurant that was fair. The Rueben was exceptionally great but the lasagna tasted like it had been frozen.

Room Tip: Dont' book directly through the hotel. You can get a room half the price if you use an outside...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pattyrodeo
LM S, Director of Sales at Millennium Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Pattyrodeo, thank you for staying with us. We are glad you enjoyed our heated indoor pool and whirlpool, which is indeed a nice amenity for our guests. We apologize that we did not have a bartender on duty the evening of your stay. Since early February, we seem to have been enduring a nasty flu outbreak and on February 14, we had two employees call off work at the last minute. One was scheduled for the bar and one for the restaurant and that left us particularly short staffed that evening. Again, we apologize.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

I've stayed at the Millennium Durham many times. Have never been disappointed. Rooms are quite comfortable. Food is outstanding. It is not a new hotel, but I find it very graceful. There are no quotations from Zen Masters on the soap boxes or shampoo bottles, and I'm fine with that.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Richard S

Richard S, thank you very much for your comments about your experiences at the Millennium Durham. We are pleased that you have found our rooms comfortable and of course, we couldn't agree with you more about the excellent food! We hope to see you return again soon to our hotel. Safe travels!

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Front desk personnel were great. The room was very nice and clean. The hotel resturant the breakfast was outstanding as lunch was very good.

2  Thank Nathanieljnc1

Thank you very much for your comments about your experience with the Millennium Durham. We are proud of our guest service agents and their terrific hospitalty attitudes. We are also happy to know that you enjoy the food! We have an excellent Executive Chef and a talented culinary staff. We are pleased you enjoy their work.