“Overpriced hotel with some good sides”
Review of Millennium Durham

Millennium Durham
Ranked #35 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Paris
“Overpriced hotel with some good sides”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

This hotel isn't specifically nice. My room was clean, but smelled cigarette and the bathroom is outdated. The sound isolation is also poor. However, the staff was helpful and nice, and it gives a good side to the establishment. One good point is given to the shuttle service: for 5 dollars/room/day, they take you and pick you up wherever you want in a circle of 5 miles from the hotel, which was valuable for me as I don't have a driving license. Tips are expected by the drivers. I am giving 2 points because of the room's state and the overpricing, however, if I could, I would give them 2,5 points.

Room Tip: Don't stay next to the gym (first floor)!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Modmano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Bexley, Ohio
Reviewed 17 March 2014

After booking the Millenium, I read reviews online which did not paint a pleasant picture and some offered the 3 star Priceline rating was a mis-characterization. Upon arrival (which took extra time because there was some confusion with the Priceline Reservation, I checked my room- beds, under beds, bathroom,etc. it seemed dated, worn (peeling wall paper, stained tub) but generally clean and comfortable. I went and worked out, disappointed there were no elliptical machines, came back and ordered dinner to the room. Imagine my surprise when upon standing up from my dinner to catch a whiff of what seemed to be feces. Upon bending over to sniff the discolored spot on the chair I had been sitting on, I gagged- I clearly had been sitting on a feces stained chair. I called the front desk, they have replaced the chair, laundered my clothes, and refunded my fees. The staff was kind, courteous and attentive, mistakes happen, this was a big one and based on the number of poor reviews online, I would consider staying elsewhere the next time you are in Durham.

Room Tip: After booking the Millenium, I read reviews online which did not paint a pleasant picture and some o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I have been staying at the millennium hotel now a couple of times a year for more than two years now in association with a large group many of which stay there as well. The hotel sponsors our group at least twice a year for special events and do a very good job of supporting our group while at the hotel. The staff has always been friendly and helpful, and do their best to please and accommodate the gusts.

But over my last 2 stays things have fallen off considerably with the accommodations. The overall cleanliness of the of the common areas in the hotel living spaces such as hallways, stairwells, and vending areas were horrible on the ground floor. The carpets smelled stale and the stairwells smelled like they wee borrowed from a New York subway station.

The rooms for several in my small group were shabby and not well cleaned. in two cases the carpets were wet and mildewed.

On previous stays I always had breakfast at the Bel Gusto and enjoyed it greatly. This visit was a major disappointment. The nearly $17 dollar breakfast was atrocious! Dried up and over cooked sausage that were hard as a rock, oatmeal that appeared to have been placed on the buffet sometime during my last visit over 6 months prior that was cold and had set up like a piece of concrete. biscuits and gravy which has always been good here tasted like bland wallpaper paste, and how you can make coffee taste that bad is inconceivable. While standing at the buffet I was approached form behind by a young man who had a pile of pancakes in a pair of serving tongs excusing himself to be allowed to place these in the space on the buffet they belonged. No plate or covered container, just a pile of pancakes held in what looked like a salad tong. The container he placed them in had the remainder of the last batch of (I assume) pancakes as they were in small chunks and left in the bottom of the container upon refilling it. The breakfast on whole wasn't even up to the standard of the free breakfast you receive at a Holiday Inn Express. And to actually charge for this is insane.

Also in the past I have taken at least on evening meal at Bel Gusto and have always enjoyed it. This time however again I was severely disappointed. 6 of us joined together and ordered an appetizer and two of the pizzas from the menu.

They were undercooked versions of the 3 for $5 special you might find at the supermarket.

In short the hotel needs a major renovation to the guestrooms and a cook and restaurant manager who takes a little pride in what he is doing.

The hotel says its a three star accommodation, sadly if they were graded by my last encounter they would have lost at least 2 if not them all.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jon R
Narragansett
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

The rooms were incredibly run down with peeling wall paper and rusty bathrooms. Although they advertise high speed internet, it's only free in the lobby. I finally broke down and was going to pay for internet but couldn't get any signal in my roo,. I was on th phone with customer service for an hour and tried 4 different rooms before giving up. In addition, when you call th hotel they say to try out their Hottub but good luck because it is out of service and looks to have been that way for some time. The only good thing was the shuttle driver Teddy was very very friendly! They offer a shuttle to the local hospitals as well.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful when my party needed special accommodation. The rooms were tidy and comfortable. The location was handy for accessing the university. Overall, I had a pleasant experience and would stay here again. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2014
Canton nc
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I always stay here when attending my dr appointments. They are always welcoming and kind! The only thing I would change is the showers. There needs to be more water pressure, bigger showers (for medical needs like my self),and removable shower head. Other than that I love stating here and will continue to stay here!

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed 12 February 2014

While I stayed here the staff was so helpful with knowledge of area going out of their way to help especially when they found out I had just gotta out of surgery.I felt like they were family and the best treatment I've had in my life,especially Jennelle,John,and Judy and the cleaning lady on 3rd floor.They all had great attitudes.I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014