“Not a luxury but not a bad hotel either”
Review of Millennium Durham

Millennium Durham
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My daughter was having a baby at Duke University. I got a medical discount down to $89.99 on a king room. They have a great shuttle service. They also have a great bar and a restaurant. Breakfast is not free, but you can get a great buffet and whatever you want for reasonable prices. Dinner for me was a fresh wonderful salad with the most delicious olives I have ever eaten.....$5.50! Coffee is free if you get up in time to get it before it is gone around 8:30 or so. The room is not a luxury room but is plenty spacious. Decor needs upgrading I will admit, but if you are looking for all around value and if you truly have a medical reason at Duke - it is a good value. Front desk was very friendly and I am indebted the the lady at the front desk who called me immediately when I left my luggage there.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large - King bed.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
MHD205, General Manager at Millennium Durham, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Melisa M,

Congratulations to the new addition to your family! I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your perspective on our hotel and staff. It was certainly good to hear the positive comments on the Front Desk staff, enjoyed the restaurant and were able to take advantage of our special medical rate and shuttle that we provide to and from the hospital.
We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Best Regards,

David

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Recently, my family and I stayed approximately 12 nights there due to a family member's stay at Duke University Hospital. The Millennium is a gem tucked away within a mile of the hospital. While we were there, we ALWAYS were treated with the utmost courtesy and KINDNESS by all of the staff from front desk, restaurant, to shuttle service - there were several nights when we left the hospital LATE at night and the service staff always arrived to pick us up asap. The rooms were comfortable and clean and the restaurant was good ( they serve dark roast coffee and I am not a fan of that type of brew). We had one instance of a problem with our bath plumbing but John went out of his way to see that it was corrected and we were satisfied. The staff at the hotel are what kept us going back there to stay in between our trips back home (we were 3 hours from the hospital and traveled home a couple of times in order to take care of business matters). The only aspect of our stay that could have been better was our experience with the bar - service hours were not always consistent and food service offered thru the bar was not up to par. Overall, our stay at the Millennium was most comfortable and we would certainly choose the Millennium again when traveling to Durham/Duke Hospital. Kudos to the staff and may God bless them all for making a very difficult time much more bearable.

Room Tip: I have trouble with arthritis and vascular problems in my legs - the front desk staff always placed...
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A hotel that would be excellent in the 1990s, but really needs some updating, beginning with the wifi connection. Is very difficult to connect from the rooms. Had to go to lobby to get the connection. There is good service at the front desk and the restaurants. The breakfast buffet is good, with good biscuits and sausage gravy. There is good selection of items. The hotel is convenient to Duke University West Campus, is in quiet residential area, and easy to get to I-85 from nearby 15-501 divided highway. The hotel shuttle service is very good if you need to use it. Hotel would be good for a conference or some meetings as the conference rooms seem quite nice. The rooms are large, bathroom is a bit tight, but overall room was quite comfortable. Would recommend for short stay and if need convenience to Duke University.

Room Tip: Don't get rooms on upper floors or far from center of building as wifi is very poor connection.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stayed here for a conference at Duke. Convenient location although the neighbourhood is sketchy. The hotel itself is tired and worn. The prices reflect this sad state of affairs. The staff, however, is super friendly and helpful. Beds are uncomfortable. Breakfast buffet is standard. Coffee is awful.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Came here for family wedding. Availability, price and location were the selling points.
Yes, hotel is in desperate need of updating. The rooms we had were huge but not what they could be. Bathroom was basic but out shower was moldy (and VERY difficult to turn on - and with modulating temperatures - some rooms more so than others), the single sink was missing parts, and toilet....flushed OK but slow, sometimes took several flushes to do the job. The motel itself smells old.
Our room was king bed with the world's worst pillows. Matress lumpy and hard. AC worked well and wasn't too loud. Nice that we could open the windows. Our room faced the courtyard which was sad, save the crepe myrtles. Room had a "wet bar" area, where the coffee machine is kept; no light above this so if you don't want to wake your bedmate early, you have to make coffee in the bathroom. First morning had one packet of regular coffee, second morning got two and more condiments, but only one cup. Flat screen TV has no HD.
Surprizingly, food here is good. We ordered room service, sad that there was no table for two for us to enjoy (some rooms did have a second table). However, order didn't come up as expected, and didn't get salt/pepper- and again, one coffee cup! What is with that.We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, but did for the event reception.
We stayed two nights. Ask for a fridge if your room doesn't have one (I needed for meds). Service is freindly, which helps. The second floor ballroom is nice and a nice size and the staff does a great job of set-up and service.
Not sure if it was because there weren't that many folks around us but we didn't hear hall noise much. So that was nice (we were far enough away from vending and elevator). Elevators are small and slow (and used by cleaning staff), fortunately only 4 floors.
Location and price saves the day here! Hopefully they can modernize the hotel soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

The staff was overly helpful arranging a special request and creating a surprise visit for family members. The rooms were fine, certainly a bit outdated, but comfortable and clean and I got a great rest. The restaurant was typical hotel fare. My only complaint was the shuttle service. We went out two nights in a row...one to a baseball game and one to a performance at DPAC. The shuttle shuts down at 10PM, too early to get picked up either night. The charge didn't appear on our bill so I suppose we can look at it as getting a free ride TO the venues, but it would have been nice if at 10:20 the hotel would have picked us up.

1  Thank buckeyebrando
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The staff of the millennium hotel of durham by far is so superior in making there guests feel at home an comfortable,being helpful with directions an choice tidbits of durham,an providing an excellent an timely shuttle service with a experienced a very knowledgable driver to assist you in your needs around town,as well as a most incredible compassionate working relationship with guests, family members an patients of duke medical facilities.
Actually I don't believe the word no is in the staff's vocabulary when it comes to a reasonable guest request.
Although I have chosen the month of June 2014 to submit this property review ,I have spent extensive time here an this is the one an only hotel for me.w

Room Tip: The staff is extremely helpful to insure your stay to be a pleasant one.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo