“Great Place for a Great Price” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center
Ranked #37 of 70 Hotels in Durham
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Place for a Great Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

Where I live a dare not even venture near the Red Roof Inn - However, when I rolled into town at 3am I was almost willing to take anything. I stopped by the Super 8 right down the road but the hotel was dingy and dirty & the front desk clerk was exceptionally rude so I decided not to give them any of my business. The price of the room at RRI was $20 cheaper than the Super 8 and the staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The room was phenomenally clean (I was rather impressed) and the beds were very comfortable. I will definitely return to RRI and would recommend this hotel to anyone else. Keep in mind that the interior is a bit older (carpet is a bit worn in some spots and the tvs are not brand new) and that some rooms don't have microwave & refrigerators but this hotel is a great value. My stay here has changed how I view Red Roof Inn hotel chain.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Destynie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
sanbao184
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Found this place on tripadvisor. Just looking for a reasonably priced, clean room near Duke. It fit our needs perfectly. Elevator carpet a little grungy, but our room was great. Desk clerk was polite and efficient. No complaints.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sanbao184
Beaufort, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Caveat: I stayed here for 9 nights, which in hindsight, is a little long to stay in a budget motel.

However, I picked it based on the reviews here, and I have to say I was disappointed. I wanted something close to where I was going to need to be, which it was -- it is very handy to local restaurants, and Duke. I wanted something safe, which I didn't feel all of the time. One evening, I pulled in and there was a cop car there and two policemen investigating something. Yikes! It was relatively clean, although the first night, I could feel something bothering me under the sheets, which turned out to be a broken fingernail...

The beds weren't uncomfortable, but weren't exactly comfortable, either (although the pillows were nice). The blankets were pretty thin, the shower was decent, but had basically cold or hot temps, there was no fridge or microwave in the double bed rooms, which isn't exactly clear when making a reservation. The TV was older and had lines through the picture, and fairly few channels. The wi-fi was remarkably slow. It was noisy in the evenings sometimes, with guests on higher levels "hanging out", drinking on the balconies. A few nights I had to put the blower on to drown out the conversations.

It served it's purpose, and was OK for the price, but I don't think I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank flootsmith
Robin A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay at our property. We are very close to local restaurants, Duke University and the Medical Center.

We are very happy to have Durham Police Department perform security detail at our property nightly. It give many guests a firmer sense of security to know that they are here when needed. Their having a car on our property lets everyone know that disturbances are not tolerated.

We do encourage any guest that has a problem with their stay to report it immediately so that we can correct it. I encourage you to book one of our Deluxe Double rooms that comes with a microwave and fridge on your next stay with us. I hope you choose to come back to stay with us. Thank you again for your patronage.
Jacksonville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Stay at the hotel on regular basis the experience is always exceptional. The entire staff conduct themselves in a very proffessional manner. All requests are handled in a timely manner. Ms Jamiylah Roberts is a travelers dream, an uplifting personality, that greets every customer with a beautiful welcoming smile. She represents the Hotel well. The hotel is an older establishment, however the rooms are very clean. I have been staying weekly for the last 18 months and would highly reccomend this hotel. Hasta la semana que viene.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank larry s
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

Ms. Jamiylah Roberts was very professional in performing her duties to me and the other customers. I will stay at this establishment again when in the Durham area.
Although the establishment was an older one, therooms and premises were very clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank oxford378
Ceres, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Stayed here 2 days. Staff was friendly. Hotel seemed a little old. My room didn't have a desk lamp. Also could have used a recliner or other such type of chair. Was a large gap in bottom of door and though I'm not sure of such, I think a lot of the cool air could have easily escaped through the gap. next time I'm in Durham I believe I'll try the Red Roof in Triangle Park.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Superior but inspect room 1st.