Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We drove 3.5 hours to stay overnight for a family welcome day at the NCSSM, so we would not have to leave our home at 3:00 a.m. in the morning. I checked the reviews and the prices and was pleased with the information online about Red Roof inn, Duke Medical Center, so I booked a room. In our situation we were only looking for a good night's sleep. The rooms were newly renovated and looked very nice. We arrived around 10:00pm and we had to leave by 7:00 am. Our stay was going to be for less than 10 hours, so what could go wrong?
While the reservation was clearly made for three we had towels for two. SO before we could take showers on our late night arrival, my husband had to tread back to the office, in a not so safe area of town, to ask for towels. We slept in 'small' full sized beds which I thought I could handle for such a short amount of time, but they were incredibly uncomfortable. The renovations, although nice, did NOT include new air conditioners. The outdated, non working unit did not cool the room at all. It did not even circulate the stale air. We slept in a room on a nice April night that was MUCH hotter inside than outside. We could not and would not (for safety reasons) open a window. So the night was miserable! We had a sleepless tossing and turning to get comfortable night instead of the restful night we had hoped for.

Room Tip: Ask if air conditioner works and if they will have it on when you arrive so you can decide if the un...
2  Thank Tammy J
Hope B, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2013

Good Afternoon Tammy J,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced while staying at our location. Please know that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issues you pointed out in your review.
We appreciate you sharing your concerns and we encourage all guests to let us know as soon as a problem arises so that we can (1) create a better stay for you and (2) fix it so that it's not a problem for the next guest. Thank you for sharing your experience with us as it gives us a chance to give better service in the future

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We have stayed at a number of Red Roofs and been very pleased. This place was disgusting. The parking lot was littered with cigarette butts. It should have told me that the rooms were no different. Although this Inn has been refurbished in the newly branded style, the rooms wreaked of smoke, bed linens were worn out and wrinkled, and the carpet was filthy. We even tried a second room. It was worse than the first. This experience almost put me off Red Roof Inns. That would have been a shame. They are one of the few pet friendly hotel chains.

2  Thank NannieOakly
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Have stayed at this location before and that is one reason
for another try. The front desk clerk was awesome her name
was Brittany, our tv remote would not work and in less than
5 minutes she was at the door with a fresh remote. She was
very helpfull with all our questions. The room was very clean.
Now the not so good, the bed was very soft....... to the point
of super SOFT..... stuffed a pillow under the back and got some
sleep.We really liked the 12noon check out time. Fix those beds
and you guys would have nailed an excellent.

James Brinson

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Hope B, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Thank you for choosing our location. We appreciate you for recognizing Brittany and the service she provided during your stay. We hope your daughter is on her way to a speedy recovery. We will address the "soft" mattress from the room you occuppied while you were with us. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I forgot when I booked this that Red Roof Inns often have the motel room doors on the outside of the building. This never quite feels safe to me, so for that reason alone I don't think I would stay here again. It is not in a bad area, just isolated - if someone was trying to break into our room there aren't any other businesses or things adjacent so no one would have heard. And you get people starting their cars outside your window at all hours of the night. The location was convenient to the highway and down the street from a shopping center with an iHop and grocery store.

The lobby is nice and seems updated, and the rooms are too however the bathroom is teeny! The room smelled like it had been smoked in although the whole place is non-smoking I think Bedding is a little cheap. The floors are a manufactured wood or laminate of some kind, which if you are on the first floor like we were, you hear EVERYTHING upstairs. Someone directly above us dropped a coin or some other circular object on the floor and we heard it spin and rotate around until it finally clunked to a stop.

Very cheap and that worked for us for this quick stay, but I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Robin A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Red Roof Inn. I apologize for any issues you experienced during your stay with us. We encourage all guest to let us know as soon as a possible issue arises so our staff can (1) create a better stay for our guest and (2) resolve the unexpected issue so that the issue does not reoccur for the next guest.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, as it gives our team an opportunity to provide our best service in the future.

Please keep Red Roof Inns in mind for your future travels.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

This was my 5th stay at this Red Roof. That speaks volumes. I've stayed at two other motels in the area and they should be condemned. I will not "stray" again. I've dealt with Ricky several times and always found him to be courteous, helpful and very accomodating. There was a new desk person this weekend who seemed to be the female version of Ricky. She too was courteous, helpful and very accomodating. Red Roof should clone these two!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Robin A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2013

Thank you so much for being a loyal customer. We really appreciate your wonderful comments. I am happy that Ricky and Kay were some courteous and accommodating. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

The hotel was very nice. The location is excellent. Ricky at the front desk was very friendly. I asked him for suggestions for the next day lunch and he told me about many possibilities. I really liked the new rooms. The new renovation was great and I would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: The reason for terrible pool is that there is no pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Robin A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Thanks so much for all of your wonderful comments. Ricky is indeed a gem and I'm glad he was able to help you. We love it when our guests appreciate our work. I'm happy your enjoyed your stay and I will make sure Ricky reads your comments. Have a wonderful day. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stay at Red Roof's frequently as I like to travel with my dog. This has been the nicest one yet. I really liked the faux wood flooring. Much better than carpet in the other red roofs. Smelled fresh when I first walked in. Comfy bed and pillows, microwave, refrigerator, and desk work area. The lady at check in was nice and super fast. Her name was Brittany.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Amanda I
Robin A, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Durham Duke University Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. As you obviously know we love pets at Red Roof Inns. I'm glad you enjoyed your room and that Brittany's service was excellent. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!