“North Carolina's answer to Roscoe's”

Dame's Chicken & Waffles
Ranked #12 of 786 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The breakfast food was the best I had in Durham. They have these flavored butters they call Shmears that add distinction to the food. The grits with cheese were good, so was the chicken.

1  Thank ewhite3rd

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Wife insisted we try after hearing about the long waiting times when it first opened. Went for lunch last week. Excellent greeting and we were invited to sit at the bar to avoid the wait. Service could not have been better. I ordered the blackened salmon and very happy that I did. My wife ordered the basic chicken and waffles and the seasoning was simply too much. If you have ever had sweet tea that is simply TOO SWEET, this would be the equivalent with respect to seasoning especially the salt. She could not finish it so I took it home for dinner. So it was eatable but I have never had saltier or more heavily seasoned meat. The schmeer (?sp) was very similar to cake icing in terms of texture and sweetness. Glad we went but my comments to co-workers were echoed by a strong sense that Dame's is an over-rated experience. May go back but would probably get the salmon if the chicken stays as salty. Sides macaroni, turnip greens, grits, were exceptional. Again, the only real ding here is that their "bread and butter" signature item was brined or simply over seasoned.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had made a reservation 2 months in advance since the weekend we were in town was one of the busiest they have, due to college graduations. They allow a 15 minute grace period and then will give away your table. Sounds reasonable BUT there was a big wreck on the freeway that evening. After frantically detouring several times and running into lots of traffic even on the surface streets we arrived 17 minutes after our reservation time. Well....they gave away our table which was ridiculous as we had called them twice while enroute to let them know we would be there close to the 15 minute grace period because of the traffic accident. Couldn't they have held our table for 2 more minutes??? We were then "allowed" to wait another 45-55 minutes for a new table which we did. The food was delicious (the frizzled fowl is especially good) and we were glad we waited the extra time but I have to give the host 0 stars for complete lack of helpfulness and attitude. We came from California to attend a graduation and it was our first time in the restaurant so this gave us a bad taste.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I wanted to tell them more, though--that the northerner who had never been served properly prepared grits was now converted, and that the orange chabo sweet potato waffles & chicken was genius. Worth the 45 minute wait. It did go fast because there were plenty of distractions on that block. Fun time, good food.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Let me just say that when you have a wait to get in 30 min before the restaurant opens, GO!!!!! Dont miss this place.