“Delightful Durham Deal”

Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Delightful Durham Deal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2013

I have friends who live in the Durham area and I stayed at this Hampton Inn on three separate occasions within a month and have absolutely no hesitation in saying that I will be staying here again on future visits. Very reasonably priced, the hotel is modern and clean throughout and every member of staff I encountered was very friendly and helpful. My room was spacious with elegant classical furniture and a very comfortable bed. The ensuite was also elegantly appointed with a large walk-in shower. There is a small business centre with free computer access and a permanent supply of complimentary coffee in the lobby. The price includes a very adequate breakfast buffet including a couple of cooked items. There is a pantry which stocks snacks and soft drinks, but unfortunately for me no beer. However there is an excellent bar & restaurant called Tripps which is just a minute’s walk away and Northgate mall with several fast food outlets is a five minute walk away. The hotel is also just a five minute car/taxi ride from downtown Durham which has a good selection of bars and restaurants in Brightleaf Square and Ninth Street.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Retired_Gentleman,

Our repeat guests are the greatest testament to the high level of service we aim to provide so thank you so much for your compliments regarding our hotel. We are indeed located near a multitude of restaurants and shopping so I'm glad that you have been able to take advantage of that during your stays. Our staff works hard to provide a great experience in all aspects so we really appreciate your recognition. Thanks for your review and see you on your next visit to Durham!

Daly Seven, Inc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Madison, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

Very nice Hampton Inn with large rooms, excellent bathrooms, and excellent staff. The breakfast buffet has hot options like eggs or omelettes, bacon or sausage, make your own waffles, and oatmeal. The dining area is spacious and bright. The workout room has about six machines, weights, TVs, and is well stocked with towels and such. I did not use the pool which is small but it looks like it would be fine for kids.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Dear Jim_B_10,

Thanks for writing a review of our hotel! It's great that you enjoyed all of the options available as part of our complimentary breakfast. Also, our staff appreciates your recognition of their hard work. Thank you again and we hope to see you on your next trip to Durham!

montreal, QC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

This is a new and nicely appointed Hampton Inn in a convenient location for visits to Durham/Chapel Hill. We stayed for one week and found the room, the breakfast and breakfast area up to good reliable Hampton standards, and the desk staff and others we encountered were friendly and polite.
•One Important Warning: When I first began booking on expedia, I noticed on the final breakdown of costs a strange "extra guest" charge of nearly $10.00 although only two persons were to stay in the room. I have never seen this "extra guest" charge for a second person on any other American (or foreign) hotel. This appears to be unique to expedia. I wrote to the Hilton company (owners of Hampton) and was told that they do not control prices on expedia. The charge did not appear on the Hampton's own website where I booked the room.

• The room: good size w/microwave and fridge (not properly plugged in); comfortable bed with good linens; good TV w/sufficient channels; climate control was responsive and easy to operate.
• Bathroom: nice size and good lighting, large shower stall and good shower head.
• Location makes an easy drive into Durham, right across from shopping mall.

1 Thank gimpel
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear gimpel,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our Hampton Inn & Suites. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and all of the amenities we offer. I apologize for the issue you encountered with booking; we encourage our guests to book directly on our franchise website for the guaranteed lowest rate available.

Thanks again and we look forward to your next stay!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Wow - I can't say enough good things about this new property in Durham. My wife and I are both Hilton Honors members and have been staying in Durham for years. We were pleasantly surprised to find this Hampton in during our last visit.

We are early risers and came down to breakfast around 6:30am - As we sat down we were welcomed by both the breakfast hostess and the General Manager, Miss Wendy. They were both such a delight and really took interest in who we were as a family. I can't remember the last time a General Manager took time out of his/her day just to get to know us and thank us for staying at their hotel. We travel to Durham a few times a month and I can't wait to get back here. Thank you Hampton Inn!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 16 January 2013
Dear RDUHM,

Thanks for writing a review of our hotel. I'm excited to hear that you feel so welcomed and have a great stay each time you visit. We sincerely appreciate your compliments and repeat business. See you on your next stay in Durham!

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Beware of booking a room online here, the front desk guy here at night named " Alex " claimed that a reservation wasn't made even though we had a confirmation number and our credit card was charged. He was extremely unprofessional, cussed at us as we were checking in and then proceeded to allow another guest to join in the conversation. I will never book a room here again or have my friends and family stay here.
ON a good note, the general manager Wendy is a very kind person who tried to work with us, and after the unprofessional attitude of her front desk guy we decided to not stay but thanked her for her professional attitude. Maybe if he gets fired we will stay there, until then NEVER!

Dear Tara L,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you faced while staying at our hotel. What happened is indeed unacceptable, but I would like to stress that this is not at all a normal occurrence and that we have addressed your concerns going forward. Thank you for the kind words about our General Manager, Wendy, who always works her hardest to provide great customer service.

I apologize again and hope that you will consider us during your next trip to Durham.

Durham, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

We picked this hotel for some people staying here to be close to the hospital when they had a family member in a local hospital. They made numerous positive comments and said the rooms were fantastic. They said they would definitely love to stay here again, under better circumstances, of course. The food was excellent. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite, they are great.