“Very Good except for........”

Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85
Ranked #5 of 71 Hotels in Durham
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
“Very Good except for........”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I selected this hotel to stay at in Durham using my Hilton Honors rewards, got a great deal. My husband and I traveled there on December 16th so that we could attend our granddaughters Musical Play. We were impressed when we first drove up to the hotel, it looked fresh and new. The interior was very clean and modern, but I must admit I was a little disappointed in not seeing an elaborate Christmas tree, even though they had one it was nothing compared to other Hampton's I've stayed at during the Christmas season.

Our room was on the 6th floor room 605. When we walked into the room the HVAC system was set on cool, and yes the room was very chilly. I quickly changed it to heat, only to discover that when the heat system operated it would blow the mildly warm air for a while until it reached the desired temp, then switch over to blowing cold air and lowering the room temp. I thought well I just didn't set the control right, my husband adjusted it and we left for the evening.

Upon our return our room was comfortable, but during the early morning at 2:30am we awake to cold air blowing in the room, we adjusted the room temp very high, allowed the HVAC unit to run until it kicked off and prepared to start blowing the cold air again, and then quickly turned the system off just to have a warm room.

That is really the only negative I have about this place. I did report this issue upon our departure and received an apology.

The hotel is located right across the street from Northgate Mall, and has a Tripps restaurant nearby. It is in a good location for what we needed, but if I ever stay there again I won't wait to report the HVAC system.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear vhash77,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comprehensive review of your visit - and again I'd like to apologize for the inconvenience regarding your HVAC unit. In the future, please don't hesitate to let us know during your stay and we'll work to resolve any issues as quickly as possible. If you'd like to speak about it further, please reach out to me at the number below. Otherwise, I hope you enjoyed your granddaughter's play and am glad to hear you enjoyed our amenities and other offerings. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you the next time you're in town.

(434) 822-2161

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Lexington N.C.
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We were in Durham for a Christmas dinner with some family and friends. We decided instead of driving 1.5 hours home we would spend the night. We booked a room at the Hampton Inn like usually do when we travel. This hotel is very nice and clean. The staff very helpful and friendly. We will stay here again and recommend it to anyone.
We stayed on the top floor(5th) our room was facing I-85 and we heard no noise at all. The hotel was packed and very quiet.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear psevert,

Thank you for your review and we hope you had a good time visiting with your friends and family! I'm delighted you had a comfortable, clean stay and found our staff very friendly and accommodating. We hope to see you for another stay soon, thanks again for your comments!

Louisville, KY
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites for four nights over Thanksgiving weekend while visiting family. The king suite was lovely, spacious, quiet and comfortable, and the hotel is very conveniently located, just around the corner from the Duke East Campus. Excellent value. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear gottagogal,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and hope you had a great Thanksgiving celebration! I'm pleased to read you found your guest room very spacious and comfortable, as well as that our location was great for your needs. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to seeing you the next time you're in Durham!

Murfreesboro, United States
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel was a very nice place for me and my family to stay while visiting relatives for Thanksgiving. The rooms for clean, and the staff was very friendly. If I travel to the area again, I will stay at this hotel for business or pleasure.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Elaine J,

Thanks for reviewing us and we hope you had a nice Thanksgiving celebration! I'm glad that you had a clean and comfortable stay and we look forward to your next visit! Thank you again for your comments.

Williamston, United States
Reviewed 4 December 2013

A very nice hotel. A nice stay. I will stay here again next time I'm in the area. Everyone was very nice and the room was a nice size and comfortable. It was easy to get on and off the highway. The complimentary breakfast was good, too.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Donald K,

Thanks for reviewing our Hampton Inn & Suites! I'm pleased to read you had a very comfortable stay and found our staff helpful and friendly, as well as that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. We hope it won't be too long before your next visit! Thank you again for your feedback.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Excellent new motel, next to highway 85 but very quiet. Just a short drive to Duke U and down town Durham. My wife and I stayed 3 days while visiting our son, and we were 2 minutes from his apartment, close to Duke where he works. Free breakfast is also a plus.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear D B,

Thank you for writing about your recent stay and I hope you had a nice visit with your son! We're grateful for your 5-star ratings and happy you had an all-around clean and comfortable stay. Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to your next trip to Durham!

Long Island, NY, United States
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Very nice! We stayed in a King suite. The bed was firm and comfy. Nice kitchenette area with microwave. All clean and modern. The staff was friendly. The free continental breakfast was quite impressive. Everything from scrambled eggs to make your own waffles. The area was also kept neat and clean. It was a very positive stay.

1 Thank John K
DAmickDaly7, Above-Property Response Contact at Hampton Inn & Suites Durham North I-85, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear John K,

We appreciate you writing about your experience and are happy you liked your suite! It's also great to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast so much. We're grateful for your high ratings across the board and hope it won't be too long before your next stay! Thanks again for your review.