“"The Pile" is so over the top that it must be eaten - once!”
Review of Geer Street Garden

Geer Street Garden
Ranked #61 of 803 Restaurants in Durham
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Geer Street Garden is a very popular spot. The inside dining area is tiny (maybe 5 tables), but there is a lot of room in the bar, and the outdoor area is the most popular. Thanks to a roof and ceiling fans it is comfortable outside most of the time. Also dog friendly and room for little ones to roam. Cornhole available.
There are some single tables outside but mainly picnic tables end to end, so you may end up sitting fairly close to strangers. We have met some really great people this way!
If you are lucky enough to be trying to gain weight, I would recommend eating The Pile weekly. Otherwise I would recommend you indulge in it and diet later. It is worth every bit of payback you need to do. French fries topped with melted real cheese, hot peppers, bacon, fried chicken, a side of gravy and 2 sauces of your choice. Awesome...
Local beers on tap, a full bar, a delicious menu of unique dishes. Sunday brunch.
Geer Street Garden is great. Adding up the food, drink, atmosphere, friendly bar tenders and patrons, it totals a 5 in my book.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

I have become a devoted fan of Cocoa Cinnamon, the coffeeshop across the street, and as a result have visited Geer Street several times before going over for my chocolate fix. So far we've found the food to be interesting and good and the service almost always prompt and polite.

My husband has found a favorite in the chicken tamales. I've had them once and also like them, though the extra whole pepper on the plate is a bit much. My son has tried their burgers and meatloaf and enjoyed both. I've also had their grilled pimento cheese and loved it. I also liked the spinach salad on the appetizer side, though it could have used a few more oranges to counter the goat cheese.

The waiters are very good with answering questions and keeping tabs on each other's tables. The kitchen staff is very willing to substitute side items or help change a dish for dietary needs. The portions aren't overwhelming, but neither are the prices. We're glad to make it a bit of a habit.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This is a lovely spot for a meal. Try the sweet Corn Soup and the Chicken Tamales. I asked to substitute the sweet potato hash for the black beans and they graciously agreed. Best meal I have had this year! Friends love the grilled pimento cheese. Conveniently located near Motorco and Fullsteam. This is a great local spot!

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Second time at Geer St for Saturday lunch. It's around the corner from Motorco and Fullsteam, and up the street from the Farmer's Market.

I had blackened chicken with dirty rice and collards that was memorably good. My wife had a burger and fries, exactly what she wanted. We sat at the bar and bantered with the friendly bartenders.

In short, Geer St Garden is a friendly and easy place for a casual meal with good food, good beers and interesting drinks. We saw young people, old people, singles, couples and families on today's visit. I wish we lived a little closer.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

5 business-casual-dressed 30-45 YO guys walk in on a lively night and each try to get a beer at the crowded bar independently. After 10 minutes (really, 10 full minutes and then some)watching jaw-droppingingly slow emo-spectacled bartenders not even manage to serve one drink-per-minute each, we all decide to leave and never return. If you can't get a beer into someone's hand within 5 minutes of them trying, you perhaps need to fix something. If you can't do it in 10 minutes, you are in the wrong business. I think I used their toilet while I was there, so it wasn't a total loss. Note to manager: you need to fire your bartenders.