“Not bad”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Durham, NC
“Not bad”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This place has great ambience (outdoor seating) but food is not stellar. It's not bad just typical bar food. They have some good local beers and it's a great place to sit outside when the weather is beautiful. Not one of our top places in Durham but we venture out to it once in awhile.

Visited September 2013

Durham, North Carolina
“Average food, slow service, a pricey menu = not a favorite”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Geer Street Garden is located in Durham in the up and coming downtown area. We went here on a Saturday night at around 9:00 to grab a meal before we headed to another function. The building is nice although the seating area we sat in was a little small and it was in a busy and crowded area of the restaurant.

For my entree I ordered "The Pile", a large dish of pieces of diced fried chicken, bacon, cheese sauce, peppers, gravy and french fries. While it was quite a large dish and ended up being shared by everyone at the table, it was nothing special and the cheese sauce was cloying. A friend ordered the grilled pimento cheese sandwich and I was able to sample it and it was better than what I had, but still not worth what it was charged for. My husband tried the fish tacos, something he likes to try whenever he can find it on a menu and he said it was good, but again, he got two very small soft-shell fish tacos that were overpriced. Overall I found that for the most part, the prices on the menu are high compared with what you get and how much of each dish is served, but I suppose this is to be expected downtown.

The server we had was bad. I'm not a complainer and most of my reviews for service are rated average to high, but they were off the night we came here. I'm not sure if it was the time of night we came or what, but we waited about thirty-five to forty minutes for our server to take our payments before we finally flagged someone down and asked if they could go ahead and charge our cards as we had somewhere we needed to be and couldn't wait any longer.

I'm not sure if I would come back here or not, but it definitely won't be anytime soon as there are plenty of other options for downtown dining.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank amberforests
Durham, North Carolina
“Fun place to hang out”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Geer ST Garden is a fabulous place to hang out on a sunny evening, beautiful outdoor area a lot like a beer garden, good selction of beers to choose from and the food is pretty darn good.
It is also dog friendly outside which is really nice if you want to get Fido out of the house, they even will bring fresh water out for him!

• Visited September 2013
NC
“Great Spot for some yummy food”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We had visited Fullsteam Brewery and had the munchies! What a find! We noshed on
a Fresh Seafood Stew in a Tomato/White Bean broth - It was so good! We'll be back!

• Visited August 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Good vibe, good food, good drinks”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Came here for drinks/dinner with a friend on a Tuesday night. We got there at about 5:30 pm, which turned out to be a good thing--the place filled up FAST. I'm not sure where the people arriving parked, by the way--I ended up parking at the auto supply place down the block on Geer Street. So allow time for parking, if you're coming at a popular time.

Anyway, we sat outside on the covered but fan-cooled patio, which is surrounded by flower and herb plantings--lovely. It was a little warm/humid that night, but not obnoxiously so. We decided to have a couple of the summer drink specials: I got the Cucumber Gimlet, and my friend got a large watermelon concoction. Both drinks were just what the doctor ordered--cold, not too sweet, not terribly overpriced ($8-$10) and dangerously good. They also have decent beer/wine/soda selections, including the gluten-free options of Crispin cider and Estrella Daura GF beer.

We both ordered the Reuben on GF bread with fries ($10). The sandwiches were wonderful--the only criticism is that GF bread tends to be smaller than wheat bread, so the sandwiches were also a bit small. Not sure anything can be done about that, though. The fries were OK--not as good as the ones at The Federal or Tyler's, for points of comparison. All of the servers were very friendly and professional, and our food and drinks came out quickly.

As you can tell from my previous reviews, I have a very low tolerance for hipsterish pretentiousness. On the surface, Geer St. Garden looks like it would suffer from this, but what saves it is the fact that many different types of people were eating here when we were: families with kids, singles, couples, and big work groups of all shapes, colors, and sizes. It has more of a big-city vibe than I'm used to feeling around here--really nice energy. It's even accessible to folks with mobility issues.

Well done, GSG! I'll be back again.

• Visited August 2013